You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

$30 Mitchell Avocet II Silver Spinning Combo Review
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 11:01 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
$30 Mitchell Avocet II Silver Spinning Combo Review
While I was browsing fishing combos at my local Walmart last week, a set of combos particularly caught my eye. This set seemed less crappie than the rest...

I had heard great things about the Mitchell Avocet II Gold reels, so the el-cheapo Silver line had brand appeal to me. The reel was a 2000 size. It had a solid feel to it, instant anti-reverse, and the drag seemed particularly smooth for a $30 combo reel.

Walmart's solid return policy warranted at least a spin (pun intended) to the local bass pond with my new cheap toy Tongue. On went the 8lb mono.

[Image: 487341_3246800502751_526235691_n.jpg]

Compared to my old-school reels from the 1980's this reel felt like silk. By today's standards, not so much. The cranking was a bit "notchy" at points in the retrieve, it wasn't perfectly smooth. I could feel something clanging lightly as I spun.

Casting was very smooth, but distance suffered with the 6'6" length of rod. I'm used to a 7'.

[Image: 551104_3246799262720_1869088447_n.jpg]

I took my new friend with me to Algonquin Park and used it to dropshot at 100 feet for Lake Trout. Unfortunately (or fortunately LOL), we didn't hook any trout to test out the drag or bite sensitivity (not that there would be any sensitivity on the end of 100 feet of mono... LOL)

I noticed line getting caught on the very edges of the spool and digging in. This was a big problem when trying to smoothly let out line to the bottom of the lake. Another no-no for a reel in my books. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem??

Also, the two section rod did come apart while jigging. Another no-no.

I noticed the original smoothness of the cranking decrease as the day went on... Confused.

Regardless, for $30 spent on a combo I feel it would be hard to find something better at the same price.

[Image: 389104_3246802502801_1669046813_n.jpg]

For my purposes, it just didn't cut it. Back to Walmart she goes!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 05:46 PM by MikeH.)
RE: $30 Mitchell Avocet II Silver Spinning Combo Review
Not that good a deal I guess. You can get a Mitchell Avocet gold II for $35 bucks new. Mine is still going strong, the drag on the 2000 size has stood up to several Carp over 20lb with no issue, and 6lb line. I originally had it on a Berkely lightning Medium Light, which is an awesome rod for less than $50 bucks, but I have even used it on the interline. Big Grin

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
07-24-2012, 07:30 PM
(07-24-2012 05:43 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Not that good a deal I guess. You can get a Mitchell Avocet gold II for $35 bucks new. Mine is still going strong, the drag on the 2000 size has stood up to several Carp over 20lb with no issue, and 6lb line. I originally had it on a Berkely lightning Medium Light, which is an awesome rod for less than $50 bucks, but I have even used it on the interline. Big Grin

I saw the Avocet Gold II at LeBaron today for $30. I guess they're making room for the new Gold III. I'm thinking about either getting that, or stepping up to the Pflueger Presidentj... for twice as much $$$ Confused.

The paradox of choice!

07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
(07-24-2012 07:30 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 05:43 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Not that good a deal I guess. You can get a Mitchell Avocet gold II for $35 bucks new. Mine is still going strong, the drag on the 2000 size has stood up to several Carp over 20lb with no issue, and 6lb line. I originally had it on a Berkely lightning Medium Light, which is an awesome rod for less than $50 bucks, but I have even used it on the interline. Big Grin

I saw the Avocet Gold II at LeBaron today for $30. I guess they're making room for the new Gold III. I'm thinking about either getting that, or stepping up to the Pflueger Presidentj... for twice as much $$$ Confused.

The paradox of choice!

At $30, I might get a second one and keep it in the box, in case they do stop making it....!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
(07-24-2012 07:39 PM)MikeH Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 07:30 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  

The paradox of choice!

At $30, I might get a second one and keep it in the box, in case they do stop making it....!

LOL that's just how much you love 'em!

I've done that before Tongue

07-24-2012, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 08:11 PM by woolyworm.)
Thanks for the review. I find that $20 seems be my cut off point for quality reels... add about $30 for a rod, and you get about $50/combo. Anything much under that tends to be junk IMHO. I picked up a couple of Shimano IX2000 reels for $19.99 at Canadiantire to replace some junky reels that my kids got. I loaded them up with 6lb test and was able to land several decent sized carp with one of them. The drag wasn't quite as smooth as I would like, but it did the job!
Find all posts by this user
08-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Get this for $60 and you will not have to look for a replacement for at least 10 years if you take care of your gear.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trion-GX...904/148112

Pflueger® Trion® GX-7 Spinning Rod and Reel Combo

I would suggest the PFLTIONGX70COMB...7' rod, Medium action, 6-12lbs.

You used the reel on the bowfin...and that was also the reel I caught the bonefish with. The rod is just as nice.

Tried, tested and true. When my rod or reel finally dies, I'll replace it with another. I've been using this since I was 18...I'm 30 now. This combo has caught me a lot of fish. Lots of battle scars (scratches, dings and paint chips) on the reel, rod is just cherry. Still going strong.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (08-24-2012)
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
(08-19-2012 02:42 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Get this for $60 and you will not have to look for a replacement for at least 10 years if you take care of your gear.

You used the reel on the bowfin...and that was also the reel I caught the bonefish with. The rod is just as nice.

Tried, tested and true. When my rod or reel finally dies, I'll replace it with another. I've been using this since I was 18...I'm 30 now. This combo has caught me a lot of fish. Lots of battle scars (scratches, dings and paint chips) on the reel, rod is just cherry. Still going strong.

Wicked! Yeah Ken I used your Trion again in California and each time I laid my hands on it I was amazed by the smoothness!

What kind of maintenance do you perform to keep it in such good shape after so much abuse?

08-24-2012, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 03:19 PM by MuskieBait.)
(08-24-2012 12:13 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(08-19-2012 02:42 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Get this for $60 and you will not have to look for a replacement for at least 10 years if you take care of your gear.

Wicked! Yeah Ken I used your Trion again in California and each time I laid my hands on it I was amazed by the smoothness!

What kind of maintenance do you perform to keep it in such good shape after so much abuse?

Rinse down after using it on sandy beach or saltwater, sometimes even after using on a muddy shoreline in freshwater. After a big trip, I open it up and clean out the old grease and oil, and put in fresh oil for the bearings and grease the rest of the parts.

The only annoying thing is that in order to clean out the drag stack, you have to unscrew the spool lip on Pflueger reels...which meant your spool of line now just falls off the spool (since Pflueger has this 3-piece spool system)...so I'll have to spool on new line after every major reel overhaul. I usually wait until I need to respool the reel to clean my drag stack.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-27-2012, 08:33 PM
something im a firm believer is buy cheap, buy twice........id rather spend 100 bucks on a reel that will last me three seasons of solid carp fishing, then have to buy a 20 or 30 dollar reel 4 or five times a year...........this is just an opinion......you guys may want to look at the Diawa Regals...........great reels for the money, 80 bucks will get you a reel that could stop a train......hold over 200 yards of heavier line.....and last a life time......with the bait runner feature, you dont ever have to worry about the drag slipping and your rod going in the drink!

Shawn
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Find all posts by this user