You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Most efficient method of tying roe bags?
10-02-2012, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 10:57 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Most efficient method of tying roe bags?
My grandfather had an old spawn sac tying tool. It's all gummed up. Short of degreasing it and regreasing it, what's your favourite way of tying spawn sacs?

So far, I've been laying 6 nettings on the table, putting 2-3 eggs in each one, and tying them up with spider thread. Not using any tools.

Then clipping the tops once I'm done of course.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:03 PM by Giuga10.)
RE: Most efficient method of tying roe bags?
I used a real basic method.

Lay the nets out like you did but I put 4-7 eggs in each net.... I guess you got some big eggs Tongue. Once I had layed out a few I would grab a corner and connect each of them together then wrap it with some basic 8 LB Mono (no spider thread for me Tongue I wish I had it lol) I then would tie a few knots...... wrap around ...... make 1 more knot then cut the left over netting and line and did some extra trimming. Definitely the long way to do it but it payed off because the fish loved em'. The nets held up really well and the knots stayed strong and tight.... what else could I ask for? Big Grin

Good luck,
Giuga10
10-02-2012, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:23 PM by MuskieBait.)
You're already doing it.

I don't bother tying roe bags in advance anymore. It's just a waste of sack material and eggs to tie up too many bags in advance. River conditions are often different day to day even hour to hour. The colour that fish prefer may be different from what you had thought or prepared. There are many times I tied up a dozen of peach colour and light yellow colour bags only to find the river was more coloured than I had anticipated and I needed brighter bags. So I have 2 dozen bags that the fish couldn't see and I couldn't use. Eggs that were thawed out not being used...either rip those bags and tie new ones on streamside...or toss those pre-tied bags and tie new bags on stream side. Well, looked like I have to tie new bags on stream side anyways...

So now I just bring a small jar or tube of eggs and tie bags at stream side...and I don't need to lose an hour of sleep the night before tying bags that I can't use the next day. I just tied a new bag when I need one...takes about 15 seconds...doesn't lose much fishing time at all. The bags are all fresh, colour is matched to conditions, and if I need a couple of styrofoam beads in the bags to keep it off bottom a little, or none at all to keep it deeper, I can adjust base on the pool / riffle / rapid that I'm fishing.

That's my efficiently way of tying bags. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-03-2012, 05:27 AM
(10-02-2012 10:57 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  So far, I've been laying 6 nettings on the table, putting 2-3 eggs in each one, and tying them up with spider thread. Not using any tools.

Then clipping the tops once I'm done of course.

That's pretty much how I do it. I sometimes make larger sizes.

If I havent got any spider thread I just do a couple half hitches followed by a granny knot with regular heavy thread.

I use a razor blade or small manicure scissors to trim all.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
10-03-2012, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 09:01 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Sound advice Ken, that makes sense.

By the way, what are everyone's favourite colours? I've always stuck to traditional peach coloured mesh and natural colored eggs, but how much better do bright colours perform better in murky water?

Red? Pink?

10-03-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 09:08 AM by MikeH.)
I have adapted my presentation since I am now sliding the eggs down the line from the pier head on a float trace and not casting them at all.

I use a food "glue" to stick them together to create a cluster or string of eggs. Obviously I am using fake eggs, (the scented ones) The string of eggs is flexible enough to bend a bit in the water motion. I have been experimenting with adding some float beads to the cluster to restore neutral boyancy once the hook is added.

One drawback is that this presentation attracts Carp and other fish too.

EDIT: not a very good pic, but there are actually two strings in that pic, not one big one....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
10-03-2012, 09:09 AM
That's awesome Mike! But there's nothing wrong with attracting BIG carp is there? Tongue

I actually thought of using some kind of glue before on real eggs...

fake eggs seem convenient! Tongue no yoke-crusted fingers....

10-03-2012, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 10:51 AM by MikeH.)
(10-03-2012 09:09 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  That's awesome Mike! But there's nothing wrong with attracting BIG carp is there? Tongue

Yes, plus the fake ones keep for ever! People keep telling me that the fakes ones dont work, but I have been very lucky in that the fish I catch with them dont know that..... If I intentionally target Carp south of the islands with these, then I'll hair rig a cluster with a piece of spiderwire, so the egg string is free to move around more naturally without the hook.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
(10-03-2012 10:47 AM)MikeH Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 09:09 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  That's awesome Mike! But there's nothing wrong with attracting BIG carp is there? Tongue

Yes, plus the fake ones keep for ever! People keep telling me that the fakes ones dont work, but I have been very lucky in that the fish I catch with them dont know that..... If I intentionally target Carp south of the islands with these, then I'll hair rig a cluster with a piece of spiderwire, so the egg string is free to move around more naturally without the hook.

AND I forgot to mention... it saves hens... Smile

10-03-2012, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 12:05 PM by MuskieBait.)
An acquaintance of mine in Alaska use plastic beads to fly fish for resident rainbows and dolly varden during the salmon run. They didn't care there was no scent and it was hard plastic...and neither did the sockeye.

And if you think the fish are spooked here...try grizzly bears at every other bend chasing after salmon...the fish there didn't seem to care.

Just saying...Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (10-03-2012)