You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Moving to the West End
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Moving to the West End
This weekend I'm moving within Toronto to a new apartment in the west end. As the tackle gets unpacked, the pike and eventually bass seasons open, and the days get longer, I'll be looking for shore fishing spots near my new digs. I'm especially interested in opportunities within walking distance or a short bike ride. If anyone has any hints to help focus my exploring I'd appreciate it.

The closest piece of waterfront to my new digs is Coronation Park (the big green space east of the Ex), so I'll also be close to Ontario Place, Little Norway Park and the Music Garden. I'm not after carp really but anything else that bites is of interest.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
RE: Moving to the West End
(04-22-2014 12:08 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  This weekend I'm moving within Toronto to a new apartment in the west end. As the tackle gets unpacked, the pike and eventually bass seasons open, and the days get longer, I'll be looking for shore fishing spots near my new digs. I'm especially interested in opportunities within walking distance or a short bike ride. If anyone has any hints to help focus my exploring I'd appreciate it.

The closest piece of waterfront to my new digs is Coronation Park (the big green space east of the Ex), so I'll also be close to Ontario Place, Little Norway Park and the Music Garden. I'm not after carp really but anything else that bites is of interest.

Coronation park and Ontario place are great spots, a lot more than Carp in there.... Big Grin

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks MikeH. From the map it looks like Ontario Place has lots of lagoons and channels that could be productive, but I don't know what's publicly accessible, especially now with the closure/redevelopment. Coronation Park of course is all public access but from the map it looks like a straight open shoreline, with a wall-type embankment as I vaguely recall, so I'm not sure where there'd be good fishing... but maybe it's more obvious on the ground.

Combining your comments here with those on the thread you started on Sunday, do I take it I should bring my steel leaders? Smile
04-22-2014, 03:49 PM
I've seen some nice pike landed at the foot of Spadina, Google Maps coordinates: 43.637222,-79.39196 In fact that area is specifically managed for pike spawning, has been for a few years.
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 04:58 PM by MikeH.)
(04-22-2014 01:54 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Thanks MikeH. From the map it looks like Ontario Place has lots of lagoons and channels that could be productive, but I don't know what's publicly accessible, especially now with the closure/redevelopment. Coronation Park of course is all public access but from the map it looks like a straight open shoreline, with a wall-type embankment as I vaguely recall, so I'm not sure where there'd be good fishing... but maybe it's more obvious on the ground.

Once you walk it, the steps at the OP end and the outside wall will be obvious spots in coronation park.

Ontario place management allow fishing along the north shore line which is accessible from the parking lots, until such time as the whole thing becomes a construction site.

Search "Blair Welsh fishing" on Youtube, theres a good one of Ontario place right next to Coronation park. Also kokemachine's 4eel fishing Youtube episode 2 inside coronation park, on the steps.

Lots of perch down at the HMCS York end once it warms up.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks! Dave Bailey - I've heard of the pike spawning bed restoration there but I didn't know the exact location or whether it was suitable for shore fishing. MikeH, I'll check the videos out later on, great to know those spots.