You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Brunswick/Bay of Fundy
02-04-2014, 04:56 PM
New Brunswick/Bay of Fundy
I will be going on a trip with my gf, melamii . We will be down on the coast line around the bay of fundy in new brunswick. I was wondering if anyone has shore fished in any areas here, and what would be some good locations?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: New Brunswick/Bay of Fundy
What time of year are you planning to visit?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2014, 07:59 PM
We're going at the end of June, beginning of July.
02-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Don't have particular spots for you...but from the little bit that I've read, June is the start of saltwater fish in N.S. You are better off fishing for trout before June.

The species you may encounter are Cunner (Tautogolabrus adspersus), Flounder species, Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber scombrus), Sculpin species Atlantic Pollock (Pollachius pollachius) and Cod (Gadus morhua). I would not be surprised that there are Striped Bass (Morone saxatilis), Tautog (Tautoga onitis) and Searobin species.

For the saltwater species, try live clams, mussels, oysters, and bloodworms as bait. Even frozen shrimp will work, but fresh is always better. Searobin, Sculpin and Flounder are bottom species so keep the baits on bottom, but I read that crabs will be an issue. If you are after cod and pollock, you can fish the bait a few feet off bottom. For mackerel, you can use small spoons, or even simplier straws on gold hooks that is typical of mackerel rigs (or you can use sabiki rigs) and work them at a good speed. Cunner should be numerous anywhere there are some rocks nearby, and in the same area you may find tautog. Scup (Stenotomus chrysops) is rare as far north as Bay of Fundy, but you never know. Striped bass can be find in inlet areas or along beaches. They feed on small fish so use lures that imitate their prey or use live eels.

For freshwater, you should be able to find Brook Trout in many of the streams, and Smallmouth Bass in many of the lakes. Some lakes will also have Chain Pickerel (Esox niger). I read there is no salmon fishing in any of the streams flowing into Bay of Fundy (look up the regulations to confirm). It's very much similar to the fishing in Ontario. You can fish for Chain pickerel much like you fish for pike, but with smaller lures (spinners, spoons, crankbaits).

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-07-2014, 06:49 AM
I've only fished a few times there during a couple of week long work assignments. I do remember that they have a few "different" rules (no night fishing, no fishing from bridges,....etc). bait can be restricted to varying degrees by location. Plus do note that quite a few of the larger rivers require you to hire/use a guide ..........Check the regs.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah the east coast has some strange rules.
I'm going there in May and let it be known that I have every intention of breaking their 'no bridge fishing' and their 'no jigging' and their 'must hire a guide' rules...and then reporting the results here. Seriously tired of MNR bureaucrats pulling "rules" out of their asses.
02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
(02-04-2014 04:56 PM)mrclownprince Wrote:  I will be going on a trip with my gf, melamii . We will be down on the coast line around the bay of fundy in new brunswick. I was wondering if anyone has shore fished in any areas here, and what would be some good locations?

You can get good inshore shallow water Cod action at sunset and beyond just using a buzz bomb or similar. Be warned though, there is zero fight in them, it's just like hauling in a log.....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
02-08-2014, 07:32 AM
(02-07-2014 10:27 PM)Eli Wrote:  Yeah the east coast has some strange rules.
I'm going there in May and let it be known that I have every intention of breaking their 'no bridge fishing' and their 'no jigging' and their 'must hire a guide' rules...and then reporting the results here. Seriously tired of MNR bureaucrats pulling "rules" out of their asses.

We'll look forward to your "one" phone call........ smile

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Really Regs are that strict there???

When i was fishing in Tampa last January it was great... The fishing license wasn't cheap at all, but you could pretty much fish wherever you wanted! Beaches, bridges, wharfs, breakwalls, piers, etc....

NO jigging??? REally...

I've never been to that part of the country yet, my buddy went couple yrs back and fished Grand Manaan I believe it's called and had a great time fishing off the beaches and rocks there.. Caught Flounder, Cod, Pollock, dogfish, skates, stripers, and some gnarly triggerfish looking think probably lost it's way... He was there in August though.
03-24-2014, 02:15 PM
(03-24-2014 10:58 AM)Dropshot Wrote:  NO jigging??? REally...

Well... maybe not quite. I was curious so I glanced at the NB regs, in the definitions section it seems "jigging" is defined as what we call "snagging" in Ontario, or "foul hooking" in other places. That being the case the rule is the same as ours, though the terminology is confusingly different.

The bridge rule is weird though.

The guiding rule seems to only apply in certain waters, but I didn't look to see how extensive they are.

To the OP, though I'm enjoying this thread, wouldn't you be able to get more local advice on a New Brunswick fishing forum rather than an Ontario one?