You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Not all Grass Carp hit the news
10-02-2015, 06:22 AM
RE: Not all Grass Carp hit the news
(10-01-2015 04:29 PM)GailBait Wrote:  My father says that it wasn't broke till we fixed it.

Quite true.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Grass carp eggs in the Sandusky River:

https://www.usgs.gov/news/university-tol...-tributary
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2016, 01:16 PM
This news certainly traveled slow...........the young discovered in 2013...........egg samples taken a year ago (2015).

Might be a tad late to react.

See you on the river.
06-03-2016, 01:40 PM
(06-03-2016 01:16 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  This news certainly traveled slow...........the young discovered in 2013...........egg samples taken a year ago (2015).

Might be a tad late to react.

As I've said to people over and over again...scientists have know for a while now that Grass Carp are in Lake Erie...and yet, we are not seeing any ecological damage yet...and their spread is minimal. Considering the same time period, other more invasive species, such as Zebra Mussel and Round Goby, has spread much greater distances already.

Media always likes to play the alarmist card...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Recent news:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/holy-carp-i...-1.2934161

See you on the river.
06-23-2016, 04:24 AM
Wonder if this was a result of people releasing goldfish into lakes.
06-23-2016, 09:20 AM
(06-23-2016 04:24 AM)4got10 Wrote:  Wonder if this was a result of people releasing goldfish into lakes.

I dont think the common goldfish has anything to do with grass carp though. Totally different species. Releasing aquarium fish into any water supply is far more dangerous than just the destruction that the particular fish may do to it's surroundings. If that aquarium fish had some sort of parasite or disease, it can wreck havoc in the water that it goes into. I know this is generally a problem with fish sold for very cheap but become massive in size. Most notably, the common goldfish (comet goldfish) and the common plecostomus.
06-23-2016, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2016 01:48 PM by 4got10.)
(06-23-2016 09:20 AM)kimchi24 Wrote:  
(06-23-2016 04:24 AM)4got10 Wrote:  Wonder if this was a result of people releasing goldfish into lakes.

I dont think the common goldfish has anything to do with grass carp though. Totally different species. Releasing aquarium fish into any water supply is far more dangerous than just the destruction that the particular fish may do to it's surroundings. If that aquarium fish had some sort of parasite or disease, it can wreck havoc in the water that it goes into. I know this is generally a problem with fish sold for very cheap but become massive in size. Most notably, the common goldfish (comet goldfish) and the common plecostomus.

Well they were bred from common carp. If they were allowed to breed freely then they would very quickly revert back to being just that, carps. If you're referring to the common goldfish and comet goldfish then they came from asian carps. Without breeders to cull the ones reverting back to carps, each generation would just bring them one step closer to being carps again. Just food for thought.
06-23-2016, 02:18 PM
(06-23-2016 01:47 PM)4got10 Wrote:  Well they were bred from common carp. If they were allowed to breed freely then they would very quickly revert back to being just that, carps. If you're referring to the common goldfish and comet goldfish then they came from asian carps. Without breeders to cull the ones reverting back to carps, each generation would just bring them one step closer to being carps again. Just food for thought.

Interesting point. I assume this is in the realm of possibility. In my mind, ti seems to improbable. main reason is because they are two different species. sure, they are carp but that doesnt mean the offspring of these aquarium fish can result in asian grass carp. That's like saying a terrier can eventually revert back to being a mid sized dog if allowed to breed freely. I understand where you are coming from but I dont think its feasible.
06-23-2016, 03:53 PM
(06-23-2016 02:18 PM)kimchi24 Wrote:  
(06-23-2016 01:47 PM)4got10 Wrote:  Well they were bred from common carp. If they were allowed to breed freely then they would very quickly revert back to being just that, carps. If you're referring to the common goldfish and comet goldfish then they came from asian carps. Without breeders to cull the ones reverting back to carps, each generation would just bring them one step closer to being carps again. Just food for thought.

Interesting point. I assume this is in the realm of possibility. In my mind, ti seems to improbable. main reason is because they are two different species. sure, they are carp but that doesnt mean the offspring of these aquarium fish can result in asian grass carp. That's like saying a terrier can eventually revert back to being a mid sized dog if allowed to breed freely. I understand where you are coming from but I dont think its feasible.

I'm sure MuskieBait will offer some learned accurate information here............

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.