You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Raining and catching fish
11-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Raining and catching fish
Hello!
How to improve chances of catching fish while it is raining?
I usually don't catch anything especially in spring and fall.
Before and after raining is not as bad as during raining.

Still haven't caught a fall season walleye after all these years of trying. The weather is likely to be wet for the rest of this soft water season.
The problem is likely location related but still, what's your advice on fishing in the rain in Ontario.

BTW, I mostly fish rivers, not lakes.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 10:07 PM by zippyFX.)
RE: Raining and catching fish
I have seen a number of reports from people who have been finding a lot of walleye from shore this fall on both the Rideau and Ottawa. Persistent effort seems to payoff.

I have caught fish rain or shine (and have also not caught fish rain or shine Wink ); My best luck as usually been overcast days, sunny mornings, and calm evenings. There is something relaxing about fishing in the rain at night (at least for me).
11-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Well in rivers the rain increases the flow rate and also lowers visiblity. I've heard of steelhead being caught in "chocolate milk" conditions, but I haven't been able to figure it out myself. I'm assuming that the fish will stick close to bottom and cover to take shelter from the increased flow. The lower visibility makes getting them to hit even more difficult.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2014, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 08:24 AM by OldTimer.)
(11-06-2014 09:13 PM)Bad Curry Wrote:  The problem is likely location related but still, what's your advice on fishing in the rain in Ontario.

Don't.

Cheers,

OldTimer

edit: in my experiences I have caught more fish per hour fished when it wasn't raining - rather than when it was........... and I have done plenty of fishing in the rain.

In fact I haven't met many who prefer fishing in the rain. I do suppose it would be way less crowded though.

........ even so ............if given a choice between a rainy day and a non-rain day - I'll select the non-rain outing every time.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Depending on what you're after...

For bottom grazers, if it's been raining for a while and the river is high as a result, don't be afraid to fish close in. Fish will move in closer to the bank to escape the strongest current. I caught sturgeon and burbot several days ago fishing only a few rod lengths out...

Another thing to look for when the rivers rise is obvious current breaks. The bigger the better. Think log jams, beaver houses, etc. Fish right behind those as that is where fish tend to stack up and hold until the river drops back to normal levels.
11-07-2014, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 07:29 PM by zippyFX.)
Hmmm... If your getting sturgeon and ling I may have to head out again... the Ottawa I take it? If your ever looking for company let me know Smile
11-08-2014, 12:47 PM
i find the bite really turns on right before it rains and during the rain.....it has to do with the barometric pressure changes IMO...as long as there is no lightning.....i'll gladly fish through a rain storm in the spring/summer time.....
11-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions...

Perhaps "Persistent" is the best advice!
Hope to get at least 2 more outtings before we start getting the white stuff.

Zippy - Ling from shore this time of year really? How many catfish you need to unhook before you get a ling?