You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Reel Spooling Issues
11-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Reel Spooling Issues
Hi,

The problem I have is that sometimes when spooling new line onto a a reel I notice that the line does not seat evenly across the spool of the reel. Specifically if seems to spool more line at the back of the spool leaving it higher than the rest of the line across the spool. This impacts the amount of line I can put on the spool because it will run high early. Additionally at the front of the spool there is little line spooled and sometimes a gap been the line spooled and the wall of the spool.

I have has this specific issue twice and I am wondering if it is (i) something I am doing wrong (ii) a problem with the discount reels I pick up (Shakespeare Bass Combo first time, Rapala Husky this time) (iii) an issue with the line I am using (spiderwire braid the first time, fireline this time) or (iv) just some sort of reel problem.

I was looking for an adjustment for the bail to see if I can get to extend it's reach but I could not find any. This does not happen on all my reels but I have seen it on two now. The first rodd may have had damage but the second one is brand new.

Just wondering......
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 09:16 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Reel Spooling Issues
It's a reel design issue. Uneven spooling is caused by the rotation of the bail as your retrieve line.

In the case of line spooling more toward back side, the bail spends more time on the back side of the spool than it does on the front side. In some cases, I've read people adding an extra very small and thin washers on the shaft supporting the spool. You add this just underneath your spool (usually, there should be a washer or two there already). You'll have to either order an extra washer part from the company, or make one of your own.

In the case of gaps between the line spooled and the wall of the spool, it means the bail spends more time in the center and doesn't adequately reach the side of the spool. I'm sorry, there's no solution that I've read about aside from getting a new reel.

Aside from material, more expensive reels do offer better design and function. You don't need $100 reels (well, sometimes you do), but go too cheap and you may regret that decision later (and you end up spending more in the end anyways). Reel around the $40-60 range such as Abu Garcia Cardinal 100, Pflueger Trion, Shimano Sedona, and Daiwa Regal Xi (now replaced with Laguna and Legalis I think) are all good reels within that price range.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (11-20-2012), zippyFX (11-20-2012)
11-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Your reel should have a guider that evenly distributes the line on the spool. I think that might be the fallback of the discount rods.

Giuga10
11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
+1 on adding a a washer to the spool.

I've read some spinning reels are designed to spool more line atthe front of the spool - helps with casting distance. Some people will add washers to get this effect on their reels.
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll look into the washer but won't the washer of the effect of pushing the spool out further? I think this may accentuate the problem.

What I think I need is to get the bail to reach out further (slightly) so I can get better coverage.

Thanks for all the responses. I wish this was something I could test before buying a rod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
MuskieBait (11-20-2012)
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
You're right...I was thinking it in the wrong orientation. "Back side"...duh!

In that case, you may need a thinner washer. I would NOT suggest no washers at all though...or else the little gear for your clicker tab (under the spool to click when line goes out) may rub directly on the spool...or miss the clicker tab all together. At least that's the most common design with spinning reels.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
(11-20-2012 04:21 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I wish this was something I could test before buying a rod.

Reputable tackle shops charge a nominal (& discounted) fee to fill a reel with fresh line............. might put your mind at ease next time you buy a new reel and save a buck or two to boot......

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
zippyFX (11-20-2012)
11-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks everyone!