You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rod Suggestions
07-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Rod Suggestions
Hello all!!

I am looking for suggestions on a multi purpose spinning rod. I need one that will double as my river rod for running Salmon and spring steelhead as well as a rod I can use for Salmon shore fishing in late summer.

I think I will need something at least 9ft. I also have a budget of under $100 but I would rather spend between less. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
RE: Rod Suggestions
Try to look for the Shimano Convergence Salmon & Steelhead rod CVS90MH2B. At the higher casting range, it can cast up to 3/4oz lures from shore which are good for lures like Little Cleo, Len Thompson and J-13's. At the lower casting range, it can cast as little as 3/8oz which is good for float rigs in the river. If you know (or work on) how to cast and get the mechanics of casting, you should be able to cast even less weight to a good distance or even heavier weight without snapping the rod on the cast.

If this rod is like my 12' Convergence, it should have a Limited Lifetime Warranty. You can find it online for $90...maybe a little more in Ontario from tackle shops.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2012, 09:28 PM
(07-22-2012 09:06 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Try to look for the Shimano Convergence Salmon & Steelhead rod CVS90MH2B. At the higher casting range, it can cast up to 3/4oz lures from shore which are good for lures like Little Cleo, Len Thompson and J-13's. At the lower casting range, it can cast as little as 3/8oz which is good for float rigs in the river. If you know (or work on) how to cast and get the mechanics of casting, you should be able to cast even less weight to a good distance or even heavier weight without snapping the rod on the cast.

If this rod is like my 12' Convergence, it should have a Limited Lifetime Warranty. You can find it online for $90...maybe a little more in Ontario from tackle shops.

I also have one of the Shimano Convergence rods, but be sure to read the specification printed on the rod, my 10' 6" convergence is a light rod rated for 1/32 to 1/4oz max lure weights and 6lb line.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
(07-22-2012 09:28 PM)MikeH Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 09:06 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Try to look for the Shimano Convergence Salmon & Steelhead rod CVS90MH2B. At the higher casting range, it can cast up to 3/4oz lures from shore which are good for lures like Little Cleo, Len Thompson and J-13's. At the lower casting range, it can cast as little as 3/8oz which is good for float rigs in the river. If you know (or work on) how to cast and get the mechanics of casting, you should be able to cast even less weight to a good distance or even heavier weight without snapping the rod on the cast.

I also have one of the Shimano Convergence rods, but be sure to read the specification printed on the rod, my 10' 6" convergence is a light rod rated for 1/32 to 1/4oz max lure weights and 6lb line.

Yeah, do make sure you look at the rod model and the specification! I think they make a lighter action 9' rod.

Also want to say that I used to have the 10' model that has the same action and specification (or very close) as the 9' I suggested. It was a great rod. I had to sell it to finance another 9' salmon rod that can break down to 4 pieces for traveling...otherwise that 10' Convergence rod had been an awesome weapon.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
A heads up, Gagnon sports in Oshawa has a great Spring clearance tent sale. It might be a good idea to wait until then, who knows what they'll have on sale!

I just got an email advising me of their summer clearance sale, with details coming soon. I might "need" a new rod Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
(07-23-2012 03:48 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  A heads up, Gagnon sports in Oshawa has a great Spring clearance tent sale. It might be a good idea to wait until then, who knows what they'll have on sale!

I just got an email advising me of their summer clearance sale, with details coming soon. I might "need" a new rod Tongue

They did have a few Convergence on sale in the spring for the past 2 years...although most of them are shorter spinning rods in the 6-7' range. But you never know what they may have on sale next year.

Malama o ke kai

07-23-2012, 06:24 PM
I just picked up one of the shimano convergence rods on the weekend. It 10' med rated 1/4-1oz lure weight and 8-17lb line. Nice feeling rod. Tried it out on the Grand throwing a heavy weighted pic rig just for fun. Nice being able to toss the rig out into some deeper water and the length of the rod helped to keep a nice line angle. The drawback was it made very short work of the small catfish that insisted on biting the hook. A light short rod gives a small fish the feeling of something much larger. This 10' just laughed at them. Given its length and power it was still quite sensitive as I felt the lightest of ticks.
Cheers.
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys! I will check out the Shimano Convergence rod online and my local tackle shop (Oshawa is a bit far for me).
07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
If budget is not a concern. Two different species need two different rod.

I have a few long rod in 10-12' range. Convergence is great rod for fighting salmon or carp over 15 lber. It also include a lifetime warranty. Rod is little too heavy for fighting steelehead under 10 lber in IMO, Especially if one were casting the whole day, the Convergence rod can be a bit heavy compared to my other 9`lighter rod .

For fighting steelheads- I suggest a 9' rod probably 4 or 6 to 10-12lb rating. You feel the fight way more since it is lighter than the Convergence. I own few 9` rod, berkely cheerywood, BPS brand and Gander mountain brand.

Across the border, Gander mountain sell rod with different stiffness and length for under $50. Gander mountain rods are excellent quality rod.

Also check Peters tackle at St. Catherine, they always have good deal long rod, they also have better pricing during summer months when most do not use long rod, by mid august during salmon run, the demand for long rod will start.

In my 10 years of fighting salmon and steelhead, I found using rod under 10` seems to have more control than using a 12` rod length. The rod is also lighter, therefore, one can feel way more the power of the fish fighting on the other end.

If centerpin reel is use, long flexible rod over 12` is more advisable.

Casting a crank bait on moving current such as the whirlpool, one need a rod with more backbone.
07-29-2012, 02:30 AM
I agreed with fishfight
Salmon and steelhead rod are too different.
I,have shimano Claris and I really like it it is light too.
Plus I hook all kind of salmon and never get broken I tried with 30lb line
I am telling you this is like 13ft ugly stick but im7 make it is like a feather

Jason