You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rusting tackle problem?
02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Rusting tackle problem?
Hey guys,

When you're done with a lure, do you put it right back into the tackle box? I noticed this humidifies my whole tackle box and rusts my hooks.

What do you do to avoid this? Should I poke some holes in my trays?

I have trays like this, but from dollarama lol

[Image: tackle-box-trays.jpg]

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2012, 12:16 AM
RE: Rusting tackle problem?
(02-14-2012 12:11 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Hey guys,

When you're done with a lure, do you put it right back into the tackle box? I noticed this humidifies my whole tackle box and rusts my hooks.

What do you do to avoid this? Should I poke some holes in my trays?

I have trays like this, but from dollarama lol

[Image: tackle-box-trays.jpg]

I wish I could of found storage boxes like that, at dollar stores here lol.
I don't have much of a problem with rusting lures, mind you I do not put them in the box when I am done using them, unless you're moving spots then do so but open it up and let them continue to all dry. I've heard of people using cooking oil on lures (spray can cooking oil)

Just make sure you don't use something that is petroleum based, can't be good for the fishing or the environment.
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2012, 01:37 AM
I think what I'll be doing is moving all the lures to a separate tray to air out when I get home. That should do the trick.

Now i gotta change all the hooks from old lures that have already rusted... split ring pliers? I've never changed hooks on my lures before *face palm* hahah

02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
(02-15-2012 01:37 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I think what I'll be doing is moving all the lures to a separate tray to air out when I get home. That should do the trick.

Now i gotta change all the hooks from old lures that have already rusted... split ring pliers? I've never changed hooks on my lures before *face palm* hahah

Just set it somewhere in the house with the lid open overnight to dry and you'll have no issues.

Quality cranks will rarely rust regardless.

For jigs and hooks, as you've seen, I keep them separate from my other tackle to prevent rust transfer. Just some small tupperware style containers from the dollar store will work well, plus it keeps things organized.

For removing hooks you will need split ring pliers(it can be done with your fingers, but its a major pain in the a**)
03-14-2012, 08:15 AM
(02-15-2012 04:44 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 01:37 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I think what I'll be doing is moving all the lures to a separate tray to air out when I get home. That should do the trick.

Just set it somewhere in the house with the lid open overnight to dry and you'll have no issues.

Quality cranks will rarely rust regardless.

For jigs and hooks, as you've seen, I keep them separate from my other tackle to prevent rust transfer.
For removing hooks you will need split ring pliers(it can be done with your fingers, but its a major pain in the a**)

I've rarely had rusting proplems with cranks and such - possibly because I do give all my gear a chance to dry upon getting home, including the reels, and especially buzz baits with rubber skirts.

But I do have a trick for bare hooks and jig heads that I got from an old fishin' buddy (god rest his soul).

Silica Gel - you know - those wee packs of crystals that you get in electronic equipment and cameras (that you arent supposed to eat)........... they seem to help me control bait hook rusting.

I keep my hooks in a seperate container (old large pill bottle/tube) with a few of these gel packs crammed in the bottom. Since I started doing this I have not had any big issue with rusting of the hooks in these tubes.

I also keep a few big packs of gel in my storage tackle boxes at home. I really dont know if it makes a difference here - but it hasnt hurt and I have not had rusting of stuff stored in the basement.

Siica gel packs can be reconditioned by careful controlled heating in a microwave to drive off moisture (lots of sites on line will explain the process). I do this maybe once or twice a summer season - only takes a bit of time.

Cheers

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks OldTimer, that's a really neat trick =D

03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
To avoid the rust, I usually leave it outside until its completely dried. Or apply WD-40 on the hooks occasionally, like once in a 6 months or so to keep my hook fresh without any rust. I believe majority of hooks now these days are stainless.
03-15-2012, 11:56 AM
When I get home from a fishing trip, I always open up the tackle box to let everything dry. Neglecting this and using rusted hooks could contribute to you losing the fish of a lifetime.
06-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Silica gel in paper or plastic containers is designed for one-time use and is difficult to recharge. Lee Valley carries silica gel in metal containers that's easy to rejuvenate in your oven.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page....60&p=53896

It should last indefinitely. If you have issues with rust, it should pay for itself.
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 06:17 PM by fishfight.)
How about adding some rice? we add rice to inside salt container to avoid them sticking together, or those small mini pouch chemicals found inside vitamins or medicine bottle, or inside some snack food had those as well; old discarded dried out hand warmer or kitty litter material(discard the Poop), they all absorb moisture.

I guess the glow lures will be set aside soon for next year's salmon run. If you come with me to Niagara for trout this fall and winter, other spoon lures do not need to be stored , and they will get wet with fish slime.