You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"Sacrificial" 3-Way Rig
02-08-2012, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 09:35 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
"Sacrificial" 3-Way Rig
I was just thinking about snag avoidance and an idea popped into my head along with 3-way swivels. Did some googling and this guy does a good job explaining it for beginners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5y1B9rT1c

Basically, it's your regular 3-way rig with a weak sinker connection. By using a weaker line attaching your sinker, you're guaranteed to be able to pull off of snags by snapping the sinker off. I'd rather lose a sinker than a lure, so this is a cool method for snag-heavy areas!

[Image: 3way.gif]

Update:

(02-16-2012 09:30 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:58 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  bass guys use a drop shot rig similar to this all the time.

What I do, is tie my sinker on with nothing more then an overhand, or double overhand knot. So there is no need to break the line at all, just lose the sinker.

IMO, a drop shot type set up would be much easier to cast from shore, and there is no worries about getting tangled up.

I tried casting three way rigs a few years back and could never do it effectively, but maybe I just suck at fishing, lol.

This is a great trolling set up however

That's perfect. A dropshot rig with the weakest link being the sinker. Why didn't I think of that before! hahahahah =P

For those unfamiliar with the dropshot rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQA8dP9b9E

Tie a palomar knot with lots of excess line, pass the excess back through the eye of the hook, and then attach your sinker. Viola!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
Frank81 (02-08-2012)
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: "Sacrificial" 3-Way Rig
(02-08-2012 10:08 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I was just thinking about snag avoidance and an idea popped into my head along with 3-way swivels. Did some googling and this guy does a good job explaining it for beginners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5y1B9rT1c

Basically, it's your regular 3-way rig with a weak sinker connection. By using a weaker line attaching your sinker, you're guaranteed to be able to pull off of snags by snapping the sinker off. I'd rather lose a sinker than a lure, so this is a cool method for snag-heavy areas!

[Image: 3way.gif]

Mike

That is a great setup and one that I have luck when fishing for Channel cats, especially since they are usually in areas with lots of downed trees and ridiculous areas for getting snagged.
I also find using those pencil weights as a way to avoid you're sinker getting caught up on anything. Minsdyou sometimes moving river water can put you in situations beyond you're control until you figure out how much weight you need.

Great little video though for people who don't typically use three ways.
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Awesome! I'm going to try this to get better casting distance with my lures... now what about the issue of the lure getting tangled around the main line... how do you guys deal with that? do you use some kind of stiff wire spacer?
02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
(02-09-2012 09:15 PM)BarracudaBoy Wrote:  Awesome! I'm going to try this to get better casting distance with my lures... now what about the issue of the lure getting tangled around the main line... how do you guys deal with that? do you use some kind of stiff wire spacer?

I have never used a lure on a rig like this, I always use this set up for Catfish and sometimes carp. Mind you those are the fish I am targeting when I use a setup like this, but pretty much everything will bit if you use minnows or worms on this setup.
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM
(02-09-2012 10:34 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  I have never used a lure on a rig like this, I always use this set up for Catfish and sometimes carp. Mind you those are the fish I am targeting when I use a setup like this, but pretty much everything will bit if you use minnows or worms on this setup.

When you're fishing this setup with worms/minnows, do you reel and work the bait or just let it sit in the current?

[Image: logobgs.png]
02-14-2012, 11:59 PM
(02-13-2012 11:14 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 10:34 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  I have never used a lure on a rig like this, I always use this set up for Catfish and sometimes carp. Mind you those are the fish I am targeting when I use a setup like this, but pretty much everything will bit if you use minnows or worms on this setup.

When you're fishing this setup with worms/minnows, do you reel and work the bait or just let it sit in the current?

When I fish with the three way swivel, I just let it sit.
Minnows do a lot of the work themselves if you don't kill them when rigging them and worms are the same.
The good thing about it, is you will pretty much catch fish every time, downside is if you don't have a proper weight and there is a current, you will get snagged on something and that's when I would take the swivel off and just use a float, hook and split shot and cast into the drifts, pending of the drift, cast at ten o'clock and don't reel till it hit's two o'clock, or vice versa if the drift is flowing the other way.
02-15-2012, 02:18 AM
The advice I was looking for. Now what about the length of the line under the float. Do you use a slipping bobber?

02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
bass guys use a drop shot rig similar to this all the time.

What I do, is tie my sinker on with nothing more then an overhand, or double overhand knot. So there is no need to break the line at all, just lose the sinker.

IMO, a drop shot type set up would be much easier to cast from shore, and there is no worries about getting tangled up.

I tried casting three way rigs a few years back and could never do it effectively, but maybe I just suck at fishing, lol.

02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
(02-15-2012 02:18 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  The advice I was looking for. Now what about the length of the line under the float. Do you use a slipping bobber?

I should use a slip bobber, but I don't mainly because I have a ton of the spring stick bobbers at my disposal, which seem to work fine anyways.

(02-15-2012 11:58 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  bass guys use a drop shot rig similar to this all the time.

I don't have an issue casting the three ways unless I am fishing water with a fast current then I seem to get it tangled, but that wouldn't be from casting.
Good tip on the sinker tie up, I use to palomar knot them on too, but not anymore, only problem is I try buying the non lead sinkers and that gets just as costly as replacing a hook and sinker lol.
02-16-2012, 09:30 PM

That's perfect. A dropshot rig with the weakest link being the sinker. Why didn't I think of that before! hahahahah =P