You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Giant Squid Rig
02-06-2015, 01:51 PM
RE: Giant Squid Rig
Good to know the MNR is seeing the light, at least.

What's totally indisputable? If they exist they're very likely of the genus Homo. Killing one would be homicide, so you're not too likely to see a corpse.
Video evidence and foot prints from multiple continents will just have to suffice for now, I guess. In my mind, dismissing a fur sample from the remote reaches of the Himalayas as having come from a grizzly/polar bear hybrid makes even less sense than it having come from a bigfoot.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd find capturing a live one fairly good evidence......... in lieu.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Out of curiosity, OT, why does the notion of these creatures existing strike you as so impossible?
02-07-2015, 08:09 AM
(02-06-2015 08:32 PM)Eli Wrote:  Out of curiosity, OT, why does the notion of these creatures existing strike you as so impossible?

I suppose my nose for bs, a lack of what I consider real credible evidence, the history of hoaxes, and frauds…………. Plus I find it’s not my type of fantasy or fiction, and offers no amusement value.

But that Loch Ness thing................smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
02-07-2015, 06:57 PM
To each his own, I suppose.
02-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Is an undiscovered great ape in North America possible. Yes.

Is there anecdotal evidence for Great Ape in North America? Yes. Is it strong? Not from what I can see. From my understanding there is some evidence which is relatively credible (good footprints with expected proportions, some fur samples that are don't fit neatly into an existing classification). The legends are of interest, but again anecdotal.

Proving something does not exist is very difficult. Proving that something does exist, with the right evidence is possible. Proper scientific methodology requires a hypothesis which can be validated as True or False. This thinking is rigid by design. To date I have not seen a credible hypothesis come out in support of an undiscovered great ape in North America (not that I have spent any time delving into this subject). Either we have not yet formulated an appropriate hypothesis yet or there has not been any suitable evidence for existing hypotheses.

In terms of paleontology I agree.... I am awed by the conclusions they make (as a lay person).... Seeing those rebuilt skeletons they have which have dark colours for found bones and white bones for implied bones.... I marvel at how they can make the extrapolations they do. They do though have a rigorous process that can be debated for decades before a consensus is reached. The fog of time plays a big role here and your are called to make assumptions (guess) because there is literally no alternative.

On Cougars.... We know they exist its the range that is in question. I believe they are in Ontario based on anecdotal evidence. They don't believe they are back in Ontario because they have likely not eliminated other possibilities and hence not fitting neatly into some biologists set of hypothesis. They may also be slow to adapt because as a governmental organisation they will be obliged to provide some sort of plan on management, protection, etc... If they do in fact exist. In short saying yes, implies a whole bunch of costs and issues. Keeping the bar high ensures these costs are not incurred unless strictly required (I am not saying this is right just saying). You get into splitting hairs are they just passing through? Are they breeding here? Are they lost?

Your right a coelacanth is a good example.... It was extinct until they found one. From everything I have seen on this (some documentaries) it was a rather and sudden and abrupt "western" realization that they still existed.... Though to the indigenous cultures it was more like "Duh, ya, we've been eating them, like, forever". Not sure that level of confidence would be extended to a great ape.

Just rambling......
02-13-2015, 04:55 PM
(02-08-2015 11:28 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Your right a coelacanth is a good example.... It was extinct until they found one. From everything I have seen on this (some documentaries) it was a rather and sudden and abrupt "western" realization that they still existed.... Though to the indigenous cultures it was more like "Duh, ya, we've been eating them, like, forever". Not sure that level of confidence would be extended to a great ape.

Like I said previously, the Sasquatch is as real to many west-coast First Nations as are bears, eagles, and cougars. I think it's way too easy for 'us' ipad people to dismiss Native lore as nonsense when what we should be doing is paying more attention.

This was recently filmed in Yellowstone...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...s-culture/

Doesn't look like much to me, but it got the attention of the National Geographic and they're not exactly known for publishing BS.
02-13-2015, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 01:58 PM by MuskieBait.)
Not commenting whether Sasquatch exist or not, but just commenting on the NG video...

I don't believe that video shows real Sasquatch at all. If you approach animals from that distance, especially in a quick gait like that toward the end, animals usually respond. Those Bisons appeared to simply do their merry thing without even lifting their heads to acknowledge some commotion behind them.

And as usual, how convenient that the camera zoomed out when we can expect to see some interactions?

Looking at the movement alone, it looks much too human like. Sasquatch have longer strides due to longer legs, and from many accounts, they often appeared to walk with a light haunch. In that video, the "Sasquatch" walk about much to upright.

Do I think the existence of Sasquatch is possible? I don't know. All I know is that there are stories of dragons from multiple cultures and we've yet to discover any dragons. The best explanation given was a link between fossils of dinosaurs and an imagined mythical creature. Even so, based on current fossil evidence, there is nothing to suggest any dinosaur can breath fire...although both in Chinese and European mythology the dragons can breath or temper fire. How much truths are in these tales? How much can we read into stories?

I don't have an answer...and I'll be skeptical yet keep an opened enough mind for evidence. As Zippy said the coelacanth was long thought extinct. So who knows...but I would like more evidence aside from some footprints and suspected hair that was later shown not to belong to any new and unknown species.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-14-2015, 07:51 AM
................Go Leafs Go..............for the cup.............

See you on the river.
02-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Now that's just kooky talk!?