You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Salmon/Trout lures/ techniques
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Salmon/Trout lures/ techniques
Hey guys, as the salmon/trout season approaches I got a few questions regarding the lures and techniques. Do salmons actually bite the spoons and j13 rapalas? I was once told people use it mainly to hook the salmons just because of the number of fish in the water at that time and it's illegal to keep salmons caught that way. I was also told you can't keep the salmon just for it's caviars and then release them. Huh What if i just want catch and release??? Help >.>

Thx and cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 06:29 AM by OldTimer.)
RE: Salmon/Trout lures/ techniques
In the lake, and at river mouths - salmon will aggressively hammer spoons and J13's.

It is illegal to snag any fish (not just salmon).

Stripping eggs from spawning run salmon and trout - then throwing them back - is highly frowned upon........ by the law............ and by ethical anglers.

Catch and release is fine..................... That's what I do.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
DonFisher (08-09-2013)
08-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Thx for the clarification, I'm planning to try out this sunday maybe at the blaffs, any other places around the east of Toronto or Durham region? Anyone wanna join me and Alex we can give you a ride as well winks at nick Tongue
08-09-2013, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 01:59 PM by rich_ace_G.)
Hi Don, Salmon enters the bluffs midway Sept. I haven't been there lately but last year it's about that time. I can join you guys but not this week. Salmon hit lures out of aggression and not to feed. That is why the best lures are minnow immitations. You would notice that most spinners don't work during spawning times unless. I will probably head to bluffs last week of August. BTW the turtles are coming back to get you...
08-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Why do people want the eggs?
To use for trout bait?
08-09-2013, 08:57 PM
(08-09-2013 08:15 PM)instapump416 Wrote:  Why do people want the eggs?
To use for trout bait?

The eggs are very good Salmon and Trout bait but can catch a number of other species also.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
instapump416 (08-09-2013)
08-10-2013, 08:16 AM
(08-09-2013 01:59 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  Salmon hit lures out of aggression and not to feed. That is why the best lures are minnow immitations.

What does that mean? Why are they so angry at much smaller fish? I thought they would aggressively feed in preparation for their run.

As for spots, is it too early in the season to even attempt to go after salmon this weekend? Perhaps another spot other than the bluffs?
08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
It has been several year since i fished a salmon run of thee piers. Are the salmon usually found throughout the entire water collum or do they tend to stick to a particular depth. I seem to remember just throwing glow spoons out and then just reeling back in hoping to get hit. Do the fish stay pretty deep, or mid depth or shallow too?
08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Just got some dollar store lures to waste at deep water, i think it's still abit early and with no rain lately i think the salmons are just going to stay deep water, will see how it goes tomorrow
08-10-2013, 10:08 PM
(08-10-2013 08:16 AM)alex_fish Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 01:59 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  Salmon hit lures out of aggression and not to feed. That is why the best lures are minnow immitations.

What does that mean? Why are they so angry at much smaller fish? I thought they would aggressively feed in preparation for their run.

As for spots, is it too early in the season to even attempt to go after salmon this weekend? Perhaps another spot other than the bluffs?

Salmon are possible off of piers if you plan on going this weekend. When staging at the mouths of rivers they hit anything because they feed like crazy right before entering the river as they do not plan to eat once in the river.

However you can get Salmon to strike when in the river. Some \salmon will strike to feed but most of the time they won't. They will most likely strike out of aggression because they don't want anything to eat the eggs once they are layed.