You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Secord pond in Uxbridge
07-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Secord pond in Uxbridge
I fished yesterday evening in Secord pond for the first time and I caught 4 trouts around 1lb each in less then two hours. It's a nice pond. There is a public wild life area around the pond. Somebody told me that's a private pond and the fishing is prohibited for outsiders but I don't think so. Can anybody confirm this?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 08:14 PM by Dave Bailey.)
RE: Secord pond in Uxbridge
(07-13-2013 01:14 PM)cocofish Wrote:  Somebody told me that's a private pond and the fishing is prohibited for outsiders but I don't think so. Can anybody confirm this?

If there is a public park adjacent to it then I'm calling BS on that. If you can access it from public land then it's not private, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 08:38 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
Feel free to PM me with more info on this subject.

I know the Lease holder ofthe old secord property, Interested in having your family at a northern getaway within a 20 min drive of toronto??

200 dollars a night for a 5 bedroom cottage.

The property is owned/Secured by the Trca and is the very most head waters of the west duffins creek.

You will find Prized brook trout here, But is a "CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY" Pond.

The property Operators name is Bill Cockburn.

You are on camera before you even see the pond.

Respect it, and if there is a flood of people a gate will go up on the raod before you get to the parking lot.

You will note,

This was a property owned by a well know Veternarian, Dr.Secord.

There Is a pet cemetary on the hill just east of the public parking lot, You will also notice tombstones al around the pond of pets that have been barried/ creamated.

He has done allot for the community of glasgow and goodwood, in the past and that property is well respected by the local community.

There is also a membership opportunity where you can obtain use of the facilities of the buildings and boats that are docked there.

Anymore questions feel free to PM Me.

~Jeremy

07-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Okay, I spoke too soon. The TRCA info on Secord Pond says "Recreational fishing is currently not permitted on the property..." Page 6 here: http://www.trca.on.ca/dotAsset/37451.pdf
07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I didn’t know that fishing in not permitted on the property. Thanks for clarification.
Doing some search on the net about Secord pond I learned about Secord Angling Club and for $500 per year fishing is allowed. http://secordpond.com/PDFs/Secord%20Angl...cation.pdf
07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
(07-14-2013 12:18 PM)cocofish Wrote:  Doing some search on the net about Secord pond I learned about Secord Angling Club and for $500 per year fishing is allowed. http://secordpond.com/PDFs/Secord%20Angl...cation.pdf

$500? I already spend that much every season replacing snagged gear, too rich for my blood.
07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah… I know, $500 it’s too pricey for a regular angler to fish on that pond. I’m wondering if people will start to fish there what’s going to happen. Will be fined? The road leading to the pond is public access. Or if you rent the cottage on the lake and pay $1100 per week you are okay to fish there?
Check this http://vacations.kijiji.ca/c-Canada-Onta...Z296373548
It’s interesting how a selected group of people are excepted from TRCA regulations…. and the rest need to comply. It’s just my thought … how the system is working.
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
(07-14-2013 08:54 PM)cocofish Wrote:  Yeah… I know, $500 it’s too pricey for a regular angler to fish on that pond. I’m wondering if people will start to fish there what’s going to happen. Will be fined? The road leading to the pond is public access. Or if you rent the cottage on the lake and pay $1100 per week you are okay to fish there?
It’s interesting how a selected group of people are excepted from TRCA regulations…. and the rest need to comply. It’s just my thought … how the system is working.

Well, that's what needs to be determined, in my opinion, in order to see whether the law should be challenged. If there are sound scientific and environmental reasons for preventing fishing, and if the landowners are exempt because they were there first, I can understand it and have no problem with it. But if it's being done to protect someone who has bought off the politicians in order to protect their privileged access, well, screw them. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't seem worth my time. But it would still be interesting to know the exact reason.
07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
(07-14-2013 11:46 PM)Dave Bailey Wrote:  
(07-14-2013 08:54 PM)cocofish Wrote:  Yeah… I know, $500 it’s too pricey for a regular angler to fish on that pond. I’m wondering if people will start to fish there what’s going to happen. Will be fined? The road leading to the pond is public access. Or if you rent the cottage on the lake and pay $1100 per week you are okay to fish there?

Well, that's what needs to be determined, in my opinion, in order to see whether the law should be challenged. If there are sound scientific and environmental reasons for preventing fishing, and if the landowners are exempt because they were there first, I can understand it and have no problem with it. But if it's being done to protect someone who has bought off the politicians in order to protect their privileged access, well, screw them. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't seem worth my time. But it would still be interesting to know the exact reason.

I have problem with these kind of situations. Building houses around public ponds and then enclose all access to the pond so even if it's actually a public pond...you have no access to it (stupid). And I wonder who's stocking fish there? If the homeowners shell out $$$ to stock it or it is from tax $$$.
07-16-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 07:49 AM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
No one is stocking Fish,

It is actually recognized by the MNr as the Duffins Watershed Brood Stock for Brook Trout.

It is a man made pond, the original owner was a veternarian.

he passed away and his land was transferred to the TRCA.

The new lease holder of the property, Bill Cockburn, Has kept with the former property owners regulation of people being able to use the property for nature walks, and Catch and release only on the pond, I am sure you all understand that if the property was open to the property this trophy fishery would be eliminated within a few short months.

not everyone is honest, not everyone will practise catch and release on this pond.

The pond is not being stocked, it is a natural stock PLease Respect that....

And Further, If anyone gets hurt on that property it is the lease holder that could get into allot of trouble IE. Lawsuits towards him if he invites people onto the property.
If a family went out there and someone drowned in the pond the lease holder, not the gov or trca would be responsible.

we should be happy he took on the lease of this property or we would not even be talking about a possible trophy fishery on this pond today.

~Jeremy.