You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Toogood Pond
06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: Toogood Pond
(06-20-2014 07:14 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  ...

This is amazing information! Very detailed and well written. Welcome to the forum also!! You've given me a new spark of hope for TooGood.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Just got back from Too Good Pond. Got a small grass carp I think. On Sat. during thier Catch Fishing event I hooked something large and strong by the winding wooden bridge. Never did land that fish as it made a b-line to the wood dam structure and my line either got tangled underwater or the fish did a underwater knots as I lost that fish. From my experience with the ~3-4/~7/~10lb carp fights I think that was probably a carp in the ~7lb range by the pull I felt and bending the rod a bit.

Met some some lovely ladies that had an interest in fishing. Told them about this forum, informed them of the ontario licence free fishing week, gave them tips on fishing with worms and corn, and told them about the sale at Can.T right now coinciding with the licence free week.

Grace and May (Mary? I forgot Sad ) welcome to the forums if you stop by.
Find all posts by this user
07-25-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 04:35 PM by novice.)
hey aquaneko,
what is the best time to fish at toogood pond went there a couple of times with my kid who is showing interest in fishing, fished from the deck on the northside close to the northside parking was late evening last week but didnt get a nibble, was using worms - im not an experienced angler but have gone with friends to bobcagen and caught tonnes of sunfish and small mouth bass. Took a trip to milne, tried to get get in from the mccowan entrance but the gates were closed was 7ish in the evening...how does one access the milne from princess street now that the road is closed north of the 407, any other way i can access the milne - want to try for carp, heard they are a blast when reeling in. went to frenchman bay in pickering - liverpool road - lucky to get parking at the public parking spot was 6.30ish,wwalked both the side upto the nuclear plant(i think) on the eastt and on the dirt road on the west of the stage area - crowded - a band was playing - but didnt see a spot or saw anyone with a rod, kid was disappointed again. not to keen in driving to bobcagen was looking at somewhere closeby where my kid can catch some fish with her free rod got at the free fishing week last year at toogood pond. where is the rouge river bridge....thanks in advance -
novice
07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
fishing locally can be tough...not much fish and more fishing pressure....if you can..make a day trip with your kids..rice lake is about an hour away....we usually get a few guys together...split for a poontoon rental and the kids have a blast catching pan fish all day long.....keeps them interested and the day goes by fairly quickly when they are catching fish and not getting frustrated and bored....i get my regular fix once or twice a week with access to a boat in the kawarthas but its nice to get out with my friends kids and get them hooked on fishing just like how i did when i was growing up...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MRQturbo for this post:
novice (07-25-2014)
07-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Thank you for your advice MRqturbo, yes going with friends is great and i have done than on a couple of occassions - however, the older folks are more excited at hooking fish and the kids get ignored, hence wanted just family time....i have tried bluffers from the rocks, plenty of gobies and sunburn LOL, centre island got a couple of perches - would see carps swimming aimlessly by and kids would get excited, with "can we catch it-its so big" hence was hoping to try some places close by where i could sit on a chair bait the hook and enjoy watching my kid fish.
08-09-2014, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 04:16 AM by Aquaneko.)
(07-25-2014 11:37 AM)novice Wrote:  hey aquaneko,
what is the best time to fish at toogood pond went there a couple of times with my kid who is showing interest in fishing, fished from the deck on the northside close to the northside parking was late evening last week but didnt get a nibble, was using worms - im not an experienced angler but have gone with friends to bobcagen and caught tonnes of sunfish and small mouth bass. Took a trip to milne, tried to get get in from the mccowan entrance but the gates were closed was 7ish in the evening...how does one access the milne from princess street now that the road is closed north of the 407, any other way i can access the milne - want to try for carp, heard they are a blast when reeling in. went to frenchman bay in pickering - liverpool road - lucky to get parking at the public parking spot was 6.30ish,wwalked both the side upto the nuclear plant(i think) on the eastt and on the dirt road on the west of the stage area - crowded - a band was playing - but didnt see a spot or saw anyone with a rod, kid was disappointed again. not to keen in driving to bobcagen was looking at somewhere closeby where my kid can catch some fish with her free rod got at the free fishing week last year at toogood pond. where is the rouge river bridge....thanks in advance -
novice

Sorry for the late reply. In my experience fishing at Too Good Pond you want to go in the morning and I have fished up to ~11am then the biting starts to tail off. You will get some nibbles past 11am but not as active as earlier in the morning from my experience.

I have stated before that I used canned corn. More specifically is canned corn with sugar/salt in it. Read the can before buying. I think I get more hits with the sweet canned corn over the unsweet/salted one. I've not fished there much in the evening but IIRC that rainbow trout and brown trout was caught in the late afternoon.

Two days ago I caught my largest and feistiest carp to date. Had to be approx. a 10-12lb'er. Measured 2.5ft (using shoes) and when hooked took off and started making a b-line for deeper waters near the middle of the pond. IIRC that happened around 14:00ish.

Check the weather before going fishing. I have been reading online about low pressure systems triggering more feeding frenzies and it seems to be true in my experience. My watch has a line graph to make seeing the barometer reading easy for a quick glance. When the barometer is falling and before a rainstorm the pond has a lot of activity which you can see on the surface by lots of fish rings on the top of the water. I am not sure if there is a website that tracks the barometer reading in Toronto to graph it but one can get a cheap barometer online just for logging the air pressure.

Also try mini marsh mellows. Not sure if the multi color ones make a difference but who knows. I have read with marshmellows it is a combination bait meaning used in combination with something else as the marshmellow has corn syrup as well as the vanilla flavoring which will draw the fish in.

From what I have heard (and I do not plan on jumping in to find out) is that Too Good Pond is approx. ~7feet deep max IIRC. So if you buy a pair of waders when on sale you can walk into the pond to cast further into the pond. This year they built wooden fencing around the pond only opening up certian areas for access to fish. I think it is because too many people did not note the sign about ~75ft NO FISHING by the fish-way/dam-bridge near the parking lot area. There is a lot of activity to the left of the wooden deck on the opposite side of the wooden deck clubhouse/parking lot area. Too bad this area is fenced off as well but as said waders can give you access into that private area.

I met the folks at Hogtown Bass a local fishing club when I was inquiring what was happening a few weeks ago when I saw people in waders trying to access the area. At first I thought they worked for the city till they told me they are working in conjunction with the park to create a habitat to help bring more natural feed into the area for the fish IIRC what was said to me. The guys were moving the white fence in the water and I think the water was up about 3/4 of thier leg. They had chest waders on. I have seen some crazy carp jumping in that area. IDK...probaby 10lb'ers jumping out for surface food. So if you can find some waders try that area out. There is also a blue huron bird that frequents that area as well for a visual treat.

Just a FYI on Milne Dam. IIRC they close thier gates at dusk IIRC from some Town of Markham website. Also something to note. On the weekends they charge for parking (Sat-Sun). I think the parking is like $10 and not sure if you get in/out privilleges. If you have a bike, bike it or park at Timmies then bike it in and use the money saved for ice cream. Big Grin Big Grin You can also access Milne Dam via a residential street. I have been there only once before. You drive to a dead end road (last house is about ~3-4 TTC bus length away IIRC for those thinking for safety that is, singles/ladies so it is not fully isolated if you need help) which you walk down a hill and you will see the dam right there. Pretty much you are fishing right behind someones backyard. AFAIK fishing at this spot (correct me if I am wrong) you are not violating the parks closing time but I could be wrong. Just be mindful and safe as you are next to the dam. Not sure how to access Princess St. seeing as you mention the construction. I would think they would have to allow the residents that live there a way in somehow. If all else fails...test the cars suspension rolling over the sidewalk and such to get in. Big Grin

Not sure what Rouge River bridge you speak of. I have been to the Rouge River Beach and that bridge is a caged bridge. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7943299,-79.1188401,19z . Last year someone at night ~23:00 IIRC hooked what had to be probably a 30lb carp. I will have to find my photos on that. The guy was using boilies (homemade custom boiled dough bait, hence the name boilies because they are boiled) and a slingshot as he casted his line from the parking lot bench to the other side of the river. That guy also mentioned there is some carp tournement in Hamilton when he was helping me with making a rig for my night fishing and tying a glowstick to my fishing rod. FYI, IIRC the parking lot gates close at midnight. I remember security telling people that if they need to get out of the park to move thier cars or it will be locked in for the night. Access in the park is not closed if you are walking or biking in which is handy to know if you want to do some night fishing. Also a FYI on those tiny glow sticks (~length of your thumb) I recorded that they still glow and useable after ~48-72hrs. Very handy to know if IDK you have some on hand and you go caving with the kids at Scenic Caves or get stuck in a cave. You can find those tiny glowsticks at Bass City. IIRC ~1.99 or 2.99 (did not fully check the price as I quickly glanced over it and they are right by the right hand side of the cashier as you walk into the store. IIRC you get I think 1-2 per package. Maybe 3. I forgot) at the same time if you are fishing for carp get a pair of clip on bells $1.99/ea which IMHO is worth the investment. Allows you to do other things with the kids. The bells also have a long hole down one side which will come in handy. You can cut off a little fishing line and tie the bells to the fishing pole so if you are forgetful or in a moment of excitement cast your line the bells will not fly into the water as what happened to a fishing lady buddy of mine. Also those bells do not float so if the water is not clear good luck finding them.

Oh yes.. chum the water if you are carp fishing. I think you know this but if not it helps lure the fish in with a larger scent presence. If you want to chum farther away get a slingshot. Make your own or go to Princess Auto and get a cheap one IIRC 9.99 is what I paid which comes with a wrist support. Throwing corn by hand you get about 2-3meters. With a slingshot you can throw firm kernels about 3x that distance surrounding where you casted.

Hope that helps
08-10-2014, 04:48 AM
(07-26-2014 08:24 AM)novice Wrote:  Thank you for your advice MRqturbo, yes going with friends is great and i have done than on a couple of occassions - however, the older folks are more excited at hooking fish and the kids get ignored, hence wanted just family time....i have tried bluffers from the rocks, plenty of gobies and sunburn LOL, centre island got a couple of perches - would see carps swimming aimlessly by and kids would get excited, with "can we catch it-its so big" hence was hoping to try some places close by where i could sit on a chair bait the hook and enjoy watching my kid fish.

Also not to far away is Mt. Joy https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8921545,-79.2623286,16z and Swan Lake to dovetail that for two places to fish. I have fished both areas. With Swan Lake you have a wooden deck access but mostly all I caught was catfish like crazy there so if the kids are impatient IIRC sometimes about every 7-10mins you get a bite or a catfish. Being a large lake I would think there is more then catfish there but I guess those cats like to stay close to the shore. Mew mew mew. This area I would think is safe as the wooden deck is close to a gated in and out manned security community if you want to try fishing in the evenings.

Mt. Joy is also not bad. I was surprised when a girl fishing there told me there was perch there. I was wondering how the heck did the perch get there? She told me there is carp, bass (confirmed as I caught one), sunfish (confirmed and they are all over the place), and I think she said some catchfish as well. You can also see minnows schooling the shoreline so if you want, you could take a 2L bottle cut the lid off and invert it with a tiny bait and catch some minnows for bait.

Also at Too Good Pond from the clubhouse keep walking to the right of the clubhouse down the path to a wooden winding bridge. You will reach a water way there where I have seen some large carp swim by. Heck...something large bit my line there and took off to the wooden beaver dam. If you thought the fire ants were bad at the wooden deck and grass shoreline wait till you try and land a fish in the wooden bridge area. Never did land that fish as I think it got tangled in the wooden dam forcing me to cut my line but while walking into the woods to save as much line as possible OMG..... the fire ants. AngryConfusedAngryConfusedExclamationExclamationExclamation Long telescoping net is all I have to say there. Wink
07-08-2015, 06:33 AM
(05-01-2013 06:31 PM)Freshwater Wrote:  Base on this 2008 article:
http://yorkregion.blogs.com/outdoors/200...-to-i.html

Did any body catch any bass from Toogood pond?

What other species are available there? so far, online reports are favorable for parking but unfavorable for fish catching. Confused

SmileSmileSmileSmileBig Grin

Caught my first ever large mouth bass today here. Was by the cat tails near area I caught the rainbow trout. Dropped a line with bobber and a worm. About 15mins later while I was on the phone I got some bobber action. The striking was on and off at some point and it was windy but every time I re-casted and reeled the line in to about the same spot I got a few strikes. After I hung up the phone I tried to set the hook in the fish about 2 times nut no luck.

The last time I let the bobber get taken under for 1-2 seconds then yanked it hard thinking my leader was too long and the winds caused it too close to the shore and it got stuck into the ground but all of a sudden it was FISH ON! The feel of the fish as it was darting away then as the fish was just under the surface before breaking the surface with a splash with that semi green color had me thinking I caught a possible rainbow trout for some reason till I tired the fish down by finessing the drag to buy me time to get to the net. When I net the fish I saw the fish was greenish. The mouth was wide but still not sure the fish I got so I took it over to the guys by the park bench shore who where fishing for carp and asked what fish it was and to thier amazement they said it was a large mouth bass and that I was lucky. Cool

Had a few photos taken and the usual awe/surprise of some passers-by looking at it then put the fish back into the water and hoped it would recover and it did and swan away hopefully to spawn many more LMB. The LMB was approx 1.25ft long (using my shoes) and approx. 2-2.5lbs (estimate from many grocery produce trips feel). Baro pressure was low, flatline and steady according to my watch. Caught at ~09:30ish. Only got tiny nibbles the rest of the time but no hookups while I was there from 07:20 - 12:30. Tried to go fish Waldon pond by Wallys after a snack break but got stopped by the showers.
07-11-2015, 05:07 PM
(07-08-2015 06:33 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  SmileSmileSmileSmileBig Grin

Caught my first ever large mouth bass today here. Was by the cat tails near area I caught the rainbow trout. Dropped a line with bobber and a worm. About 15mins later while I was on the phone I got some bobber action. The striking was on and off at some point and it was windy but every time I re-casted and reeled the line in to about the same spot I got a few strikes. After I hung up the phone I tried to set the hook in the fish about 2 times nut no luck.

The last time I let the bobber get taken under for 1-2 seconds then yanked it hard thinking my leader was too long and the winds caused it too close to the shore and it got stuck into the ground but all of a sudden it was FISH ON! The feel of the fish as it was darting away then as the fish was just under the surface before breaking the surface with a splash with that semi green color had me thinking I caught a possible rainbow trout for some reason till I tired the fish down by finessing the drag to buy me time to get to the net. When I net the fish I saw the fish was greenish. The mouth was wide but still not sure the fish I got so I took it over to the guys by the park bench shore who where fishing for carp and asked what fish it was and to thier amazement they said it was a large mouth bass and that I was lucky. Cool

Had a few photos taken and the usual awe/surprise of some passers-by looking at it then put the fish back into the water and hoped it would recover and it did and swan away hopefully to spawn many more LMB. The LMB was approx 1.25ft long (using my shoes) and approx. 2-2.5lbs (estimate from many grocery produce trips feel). Baro pressure was low, flatline and steady according to my watch. Caught at ~09:30ish. Only got tiny nibbles the rest of the time but no hookups while I was there from 07:20 - 12:30. Tried to go fish Waldon pond by Wallys after a snack break but got stopped by the showers.

Great to hear! Would you be able to post a picture of it, I'd love to see a TooGood Pond Bass.

Thanks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2015, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 04:12 AM by Aquaneko.)
(07-11-2015 05:07 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 06:33 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  SmileSmileSmileSmileBig Grin

Great to hear! Would you be able to post a picture of it, I'd love to see a TooGood Pond Bass.

Thanks!

I will have to check my memory cards later this week and find it and upload it for you.
Was at Too Good Pond last week and ran into a guy which IIRC he said he was a forum member here. Forgot what his handle was here or if his name Ratnak is his handle here. Awesome guy Big Grin He was testing out his new baitcaster with a weedless frog he bought with gift cards he won at a tournament when I met him. We both did not catch any fish that day (was there for like half a day slowly moving from the metal bridge area to the left side of the ice cream shop) but I did get nibbles all day but never was able to set the hook for a hookup. AngryConfused

Got to try his baitcaster out and it was an experience as I have always been used to the spincast setup but amazed how far he was able to cast with a vertical line dispensing reel. Love how he was able quickly able to fix a spaghetti mess (backlash?) with the braided line he was using and definately made a believer out of my to switch to braided line when I can afford to spool up my other reels with it then the often hard to/time consuming untangling of mono line.