You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Show Off Your Fishtank!
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Show Off Your Fishtank!
I decided to make this thread to showcase our little treasures haha! Can be any fish tank or even a backyard pond. Anything that has some fishies in it Big Grin.

Here's Mine Smile

My Creek Chub. His names Skippy. I named him that because he goes insane and flies through the tank whenever he sees people Tongue
[Image: oXzNj.jpg]

Clearer Pic
[Image: MZD7u.jpg]

Left Side View
[Image: Euq7r.jpg]

Middle View. I have about 30 guppies and it all started with 1 boy and 1 girl. At one point we had about 60 but when we cleaned the tank some of them didnt make it Sad. Also we have the little Chub that will help with population control/nom nom time.
[Image: N2jai.jpg]

Right Side View.
[Image: 58bTh.jpg]

I know it may be hard due to glare shape of tank ect. But do your best, we wont judge Smile I also have a goldfish pond in my backyard which I will add once I get a couple of good pic's from it.

Hope you enjoyed,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
RE: Show Off Your Fishtank!
Great stuff dude, and you weren't kidding those guppies breed like CRAZY.

I think that chub may eat some of your guppies once it gets acclimated LOL Tongue watch out!

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-20-2012, 11:38 PM
(09-20-2012 11:26 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Great stuff dude, and you weren't kidding those guppies breed like CRAZY.

I think that chub may eat some of your guppies once it gets acclimated LOL Tongue watch out!

Haha we had to give some to my Nonna Smile, and I think the Chub might actually be a good thing because we have no shortage of Guppies and raising them will be kinda cool. I'm in search of a companion for him as the Guppies just look like a bunch of swimming steak dinners to him Tongue

Giuga10
09-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Guppies are fun. You buy a pair and you don't have to buy any more for the rest of your life! Big Grin

At one point, I breed some very beautiful black guppies. Only the head and the front half of the body was silver. The pectoral, pelvic, dorsal, anal and caudal fins were jet black. Very beautiful and I've never seen pure black guppies before. Too bad I move to Waterloo for university and they eventually died off since I was not home caring for them...

At one point, I had a little 5 gallon that had a pair of swordtail, a pair of guppies, 4 goldfish, 5 neon tetra, 4 tiger barb and a algae eater. It's a lot of fish in a tiny tank, but all the fish were actually doing very well...until one mishap with a water change...too rapid a temperature change and all the fish except for the goldfish and guppies died. Oops...young and unexperienced...

I would love to have a tank right now...but no room at home...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
(09-20-2012 11:53 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Guppies are fun. You buy a pair and you don't have to buy any more for the rest of your life! Big Grin

At one point, I breed some very beautiful black guppies. Only the head and the front half of the body was silver. The pectoral, pelvic, dorsal, anal and caudal fins were jet black. Very beautiful and I've never seen pure black guppies before. Too bad I move to Waterloo for university and they eventually died off since I was not home caring for them...

At one point, I had a little 5 gallon that had a pair of swordtail, a pair of guppies, 4 goldfish, 5 neon tetra, 4 tiger barb and a algae eater. It's a lot of fish in a tiny tank, but all the fish were actually doing very well...until one mishap with a water change...too rapid a temperature change and all the fish except for the goldfish and guppies died. Oops...young and unexperienced...

Awesome! BTW the Guppies you had, they were black... did you buy them that way or did you find a food or edible for them to change coloration. Id really be interested in this as it would bring some new colors to the tank. And there's a Pets Mart opening up near my house so hopefully I can add some new fish to the tank! Smile

Thanks,
Giuga10
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 06:08 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-21-2012 03:21 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(09-20-2012 11:53 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Guppies are fun. You buy a pair and you don't have to buy any more for the rest of your life! Big Grin

Awesome! BTW the Guppies you had, they were black... did you buy them that way or did you find a food or edible for them to change coloration. Id really be interested in this as it would bring some new colors to the tank. And there's a Pets Mart opening up near my house so hopefully I can add some new fish to the tank! Smile

Thanks,
Giuga10

I think it was a weird genetic experiment that gone right in my tank.

Originally I had a metallic blue male and a metallic red male that had black on the tail end of the body, but all the fins were either blue or red. They look a little similar to yours.

I needed to get a few females for them and found some on sale at this little aquarium. I got two females I got had pure silver bodies but black fins, and one female had a black body but yellow fins.

Somehow, the males and females mated and I got a couple of the black babies to reach adulthood...then I further inbred them and got more black babies...and so on and so forth.

So out of the 2 males and 3 females I had initially, I bred 3 generations that had at least a couple of "all blacks" in each generation. It seems like in the end I was getting a few more "all black" babies...but a lot of them did not reach adulthood. I only had a 5 gal tank and the limited space meant a lot of competition...and many babies don't survive to adulthood. The rest of babies that grew up usually had either had blue fins, red fins, and yellow fins. If I had an extra tank, I would just fill it up with the "all black" babies and see if I can get a line of "all black" guppies to establish. One day, when my career is a little more established and life settles down a little, I'd like to see if I can breed some "all black" guppies again. I do love guppies.

Talking about this makes me miss my tank so much...maybe I'll get a 5 gal and get a few guppies...a 5 gal doesn't take up that much space...and it can house 10-15 guppies no problem...just don't tell the aquarist Nazis who think more than a couple of fish in a 5 gal is homicide to the fish...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-21-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 04:24 PM by Giuga10.)
(09-21-2012 04:16 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I think it was a weird genetic experiment that gone right in my tank.

Originally I had some metallic blue and metallic red males that had black on the tail end of the body.

I needed to get a few females for them and found some on sale at this little aquarium. The females I got had pure silver bodies but black fins.

Somehow, the males and females mated and I got a couple of the black babies to reach adulthood...then I further inbred them and got more black babies...and so on and so forth.

So out of the 2 males and 3 females I had initially, I bred 3 generations that had at least a couple of "full blacks" in each generation. The rest of them either had blue fins, red fins, and strangely yellow fins as well. I think the yellow came from one of the females.

Talking about this makes me miss my tank so much...maybe I'll get a 5 gal and get a few guppies...a 5 gal doesn't take up that much space...and it can house 10-15 guppies no problem...just don't tell the aquarist Nazis who think more than a couple of fish in a 5 gal is homicide to the fish...

Haha awesome breeding. And those aquarist's are the worst. When I cleaned the tank I replaced the water and had all of the guppies sit in a zip-lock bag to get used to the water and they fit perfectly Tongue. 5 gallons is plenty of room. My two started in a 1 Gallon and started shooting out babies left and right, and we still kept them in until the babies started really growing lol. As long as you feed them they'll be alright Tongue.

Giuga10
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 05:37 PM by MuskieBait.)
I just did a search...and it looks like black guppies are not that uncommon after all. My male guppies looked exactly like this one, maybe the dorsal fin a just little bit longer when the fish were fully mature. I remember the dorsal fin sometimes drooped over the body if the fish was not displaying.

[Image: Guppy-Black.jpg]

I guess at the time (about 15 years ago) I haven't seen them on sale anywhere. Maybe you can find some of them now available.

BTW, I think you'll like this link...

http://www.guppywest.com/gallery.htm

Oh...I love guppies...I miss them so much...I could have tanks and tanks of various colours and tail shapes...

Malama o ke kai

09-21-2012, 05:46 PM
(09-21-2012 05:31 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I just did a search...and it looks like black guppies are not that uncommon after all. My male guppies looked exactly like this one, maybe the dorsal fin a just little bit longer when the fish were fully mature. I remember the dorsal fin sometimes drooped over the body if the fish was not displaying.

[Image: Guppy-Black.jpg]

I guess at the time (about 15 years ago) I haven't seen them on sale anywhere. Maybe you can find some of them now available.

BTW, I think you'll like this link...

http://www.guppywest.com/gallery.htm

Oh...I love guppies...I miss them so much...I could have tanks and tanks of various colours and tail shapes...

Wow I never knew that guppies had that many different colors and tails. I WANT MORE GUPPIES haha. Thanks for the link, looking at all of the different guppies was really cool. You should definitely get a tank even a small one wouldn't be bad because it's evident that you like them haha.

Thanks,
Giuga10
09-24-2012, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 12:04 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
OH boy! Guppies guppies... guys get some mantis shrimp!!!

LOL Big Grin

I miss mine... Sad

[Image: Mantis+shrimp2.jpg]

[Image: logobgs.png]