You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Storm Water - Expertise?
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Storm Water - Expertise?
Hi All,

Living in Brampton, we are surrounded by a lot of Storm Water/Ponds. I was just curious if anyone has fished any of them before? And if so, which ones?

- What are your tell-tale signs of "fish life" in these bodies of water?

The one by my house, I've seen Grey Heron wading in the waters (from afar) - so, this leads me to think there MUST be some kind of minnows in those waters? But, I don't want to go there - looking like a fool, ya know?

I know there is a member here that does a lot of Stom Water/Pond fishing. My question to you is...

1) What signs do you use to tell if there are any fish living in these waters?

2) Did it feel awkward the 1st time you fished it? were you skunked on your 1st visit?

....I know there are more question I want to ask, but I just cant think of any at the moment. Anyone that can give any input would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

A2F (RoB)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Storm Water - Expertise?
(11-28-2012 03:13 PM)A2F Wrote:  Hi All,

Living in Brampton, we are surrounded by a lot of Storm Water/Ponds. I was just curious if anyone has fished any of them before? And if so, which ones?

- What are your tell-tale signs of "fish life" in these bodies of water?

The one by my house, I've seen Grey Heron wading in the waters (from afar) - so, this leads me to think there MUST be some kind of minnows in those waters? But, I don't want to go there - looking like a fool, ya know?

I know there is a member here that does a lot of Stom Water/Pond fishing. My question to you is...

1) What signs do you use to tell if there are any fish living in these waters?

2) Did it feel awkward the 1st time you fished it? were you skunked on your 1st visit?

....I know there are more question I want to ask, but I just cant think of any at the moment. Anyone that can give any input would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

A2F (RoB)

Almost all of my fishing is done at stormwater ponds.

The ways I tell there are life are, like you said, if there are any animals that target fish for food there's a pretty good chance. If you see ducks, there is a good chance (there's a back story to why). In the morning and night if you see splashes. And one sure fire way is get out there and fish Tongue.

I never feel awkward when I fish in these ponds. It's actually quite brilliant using a commonly looked over area as a spot. Most people don't even notice but, naw I never feel awkward when fishing these ponds. And the first time I fished there I was actually quite successful, bringing in a few 0-2 lb Bass.

Stormwater ponds are great areas to fish but you must be careful. If these ponds gain attention, you may wish you never fished there in the first place.

Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Just curious... allow fishing at storm management ponds?

Cheers,
Tjh70
11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
There is a storm water pond near my place in Ottawa.... I have seen dead walleye in some of the drains... I have also spotted fish swimming in the reeds.... I am going ot have at them next spring (it's cold up here now).

I recommend a light tackle setup (light/ultralight with 2-6 lb mono) with small hooks (6 or 8; Or small jigs 1/16 or 1/32) set up with a slip bobber and worm.... That's the smallest I go for now...

you read some of Giuga's threads on micro fishing and see if you want to go....
12-03-2012, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 11:51 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
storm water ponds are not intended to hold a sports fishery,
with that said, fish can live in these ponds...

if someone gets hurt in one, then a fence gets put up and a tresspass sign is put up...
but for the most part, if it doesnt have a fence around it or any signs around it.. then most likely you have access to it, its fair game for fishing if the fishing is in season...

many of these management ponds giuga are talking about didnt even exist 15 years ago. I know this because i watched our town get built....

some of the ponds that he is talking about are ponds that i have fished since i was knee high to a grass hopper....
youll never know what is there until you target it...
walking down stream if there is one,
Walking Finding where it leads too and understanding how the species downstream are able to make it back to the pond your talking about might also help you in determining what type of fish you are able to target.

there is one pond giuga and i have fished where i have mentioned there is rainbow trout in, to this day niether him or i can prove it.
but they are there...

~Jeremy.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jeremy Ray Green for this post:
MichaelAngelo (12-05-2012)
12-05-2012, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 10:45 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
I've lived right next to ponds I would never have imagined held fish... until I checked one day. Then my 30 minute drive for bass fishing changed into a 2 minute walk. Wish I had checked these overlooked gems sooner!! Like Nick said, you get a cool feeling of finding something most people look over.

In one of the Markham ponds, I even found a dead snapping turtle that was at least 10 lbs. Too bad it had recently died, it was a magnificent specimen.

From what I noticed this year, water was most clear in the spring and then became murkier and murkier as the summer progressed.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user