You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Nervous water
11-29-2015, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2015 06:59 AM by OldTimer.)
Nervous water
Hey,

A recent conversation with a few acquaintances left me wondering if I’ve been seeing things for a very long while……… or that they weren’t paying attention while fishing.

I had simply stated that I can on some occasions see minor surface movements, small waves, or a condition I call “nervous water”………. which sometimes tips me off to the presence of fish below the surface in waters up to 5+ feet deep if it’s a calm day (but not dead calm).

I don’t actually see the fish, but I know they are there - and I have sensed this in “chocolate milk” water. I've caught some of them.

You’d think I had said that I could walk on water with their negative non believing gut-laugh reaction.

And - I’m not talking about the obvious “vee” wakes a migratory or spawning fishing makes in relatively shallow waters or in harbours when they’re cruising just under the surface.

The water looks different than it should, the ripples are wrong, the current and flow directions are incorrect, and the surface sometimes “blossoms/upwells ” slightly.

Am I getting senile and imagining past experiences and events? Or might my handicap of extreme colour blindness, with its altered light frequency and depth perception give me an edge here as it did in hunting (I can spot animal camouflage quite easily)?

But I can!............ Can’t you?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Nervous water
Sometimes you just know. No other way to put it, really.
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2015, 04:01 PM
"Feel the force Luke."

..........grin

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
12-02-2015, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 12:28 AM by MuskieBait.)
It is not unreasonable at all. There are many things in the river that will create funny current...

Submerged weed bed - create resistance in the current causing the current to slow down, thus creating a slightly broken and smoother surface (since the weeds then to sway so the surface is slightly broken as the resistance is never consistent)

Rock beds - depending on the size of rock, will create uneven resistance in the current causing the current to slow down, but a more broken surface

Sand flats - sand offers little resistance and is often easily disturbed thus the current does not slow down much, and the surface of the water is flat and smooth if the sandy bottom is flat

Sticks, logs, mussel beds...it takes careful observation to understand how they affect the current...and how to read it.

Fish is just another object on bottom. If the school of fish is numerous enough, and their combined size is large enough, it will affect the current just the same as rocks or weeds in the current. Fish that are moving around the school and waving their tail often could have the looks of submerged weeds (broken but smoother current that is slower). Fish that are holding tight to bottom not moving much may have little effect if they are small, but if they are the size of salmon in a small school then you may see the effects similar to submerged rocks or boulders.

And as you know, OT, a large school of baitfish in the surf, even when not attacked by predator, can be read by a difference in the surface of the water. The bait school, especially hundreds or thousands of smaller fish, such as bunker, mullet, herring...etc, resists the incoming surf current and the water flattens out over the school of bait. It can be read as a glassier area that is not expected to be so flat and calm.

I can sometimes read steelhead sitting in a spot up ahead where I cannot see them clearly, either behind a log jam or if the water was green and deeper, or if the water was shaded, by watching the water a bit and picking up subtle eddies, vortices or bulge that the fish cause if they happen to kick their tail a bit underwater, or if they rise or drop in the water column causing a disturbance in the current. It is often very subtle and you may not catch it if you are not paying attention.

It is all in the details Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html