You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Strange...
08-12-2013, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 02:24 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Strange...
Twice in a recent outing my line broke at the knot, without much pressure applied to it, as I was bumping the spoon off of rocks. I tied 15lb fluoro directly to the spoon. The knots held perfectly well... they just "gave out". I've tied the exact same line with the exact same improved clinch knot countless of other times and never had it fail (the only fail I've had was at the 20lb braid when rubbing a zebra mussel bed).

My explanation

1) I'd be better off tying to a snap because the hole in the front of the spoon isn't perfectly round and thus may be kinking the fluorocarbon and weakening it. Not sure about this because the knots were holding well when tested after tying.

2) Perhaps the knots were bumping up against rock edges and weakening that way. A small bead to cover the knot would then be in order.

Thoughts guys? That's $8 in lures coming unbuttoned at the slightest fraction of my line's breaking strain!! ConfusedConfusedConfused

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 07:03 AM
RE: Strange...
Like you, my favorite knot is the improved clinch knot.

But - Perhaps try using a palomar knot, or Berkley braid knot, and see if the situation improves.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
08-12-2013, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 11:18 AM by MuskieBait.)
Those two explanations are likely. Did you see any pigtail at the end of the line (indicating a knot failure) or was it a fairly clean break (simple line break)?

If you are fishing rocky bottom, your line could suffer nicks a few feet above the hook/lure. Did you check the line for any damage before tying a new knot? There could already be a weak point in the line with the new knot.

When you check a knot, it may seemed ok...but 15lb is fairly strong and sometimes a bad knot wouldn't snap when you check the knot.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
i always go for the snaplock or cross lock because there is no exit when you're tying your line to it. spoons have split rings and split rings have exits and they're big. just my $0.02.
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2013, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 10:28 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Rich, there was no split ring. I tied directly to the spoon body.

Ken, I didn't inspect the line closely and it's something I'll have to keep in mind for next time. I can't exactly remember, but I may have gotten the winds of the clinch knot back on one of the occasions. So perhaps the other break was up the line. Or both were, I can't remember anymore.

I actually did check the line for damage every time I tied a new knot. I pulled my fingers across the line to make sure it felt smooth. Not sure if this counts as a complete diagnostic, but it's what I did.

In both cases the line broke at a strength that I know wouldn't even break 8 lb line. So it should have at least withstanded the initial pull I use to check the knot. Or maybe not, so this is something else to keep in mind.

[Image: logobgs.png]
08-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I see. so you tied your line directly to the hole of the spoon? are the edges of the hole smooth? they could be sharp too.
08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
OK, hm...

Sounds like the sharp edges of the spoon is causing the issue. Try using a snap. If you are still snapping off easily, then you know it is an issue with the line (or the sharp edges of the spoon).

How long have you had the line? I usually change my mono every 1-2 years. Usually, by that time, my spool will only be half full and I'll strip off all the mono and spool on new line. (I don't like to splice new line onto the rest of the spool...that knot often catches the line during a cast...plus the knot is somehow tied badly (hardly ever), it'll cost me when it matters...that is, a fish that empties half you spool if not more. I can get 1700 yards of 8lb Berkley Big Game mono for $10...that's about 8 full line changes if I load 200 yards on the spool...so I don't worry about cost at all).

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Some basic questions but I thought I would ask:
- did you moisten the before cinching the not?
- Has there been any significant UV exposure since the last time you used the reel (back seat of your car)?
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 07:29 PM by yakfish.)
I'd say your first explanation is the right answer. I have had lure spoons in particular that are bad about wearing through line at the know. At the very least I would put a split ring on there and tie to that or a snap and swivel. Spoons have an edge that may not appear to be very sharp but with the wobble of the spoon and the constant tension on the line it can act as a mini saw and cut through the line. I don't fish with spoons tied directly to my line anymore for this exact reason.
08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
I remember when I first started chucking spoons at Port Credit, I used to get a lot of snags and breakoffs, initially I used to tie directly to the spoon also but then after some reading online I was persuaded to buy snap swivels and I'm pretty sure those have helped a lot. I use 12lbs. Trilene XT and do occasionally get breakoffs but only if it's snagged and high pressure is applied. However,I do recollect a similar situation a couple years ago or so when I was just reeling in my line with the spoon attached and all of a sudden it just dropped off. I also use an improved clinch knot but I think the main reason for your line breaking off is because you're tying directly to the spoon.