You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Surf Fishing Central Florida Atlantic Coast
11-18-2012, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 05:17 PM by OldTimer.)
Surf Fishing Central Florida Atlantic Coast
Hey,

I hope this article of mine helps a few anglers that might be heading south this winter to enjoy the great surf fishing available there.

I've tried to put some key basic info into it to...............

EDIT NOV 18 2013................. look farther down thread for revised article

Cheers,

OldTimer

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Central Florida surf fishin 101 - Rev 0 - Nov 18 2012.pdf (Size: 1.19 MB / Downloads: 54)

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MuskieBait (11-18-2012)
11-18-2012, 10:20 AM
RE: Surf Fishing Central Florida Atlantic Coast
(11-18-2012 08:10 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hey,

I hope this article of mine helps a few anglers that might be heading south this winter to enjoy the great surf fishing available there.

I've tried to put some key basic info into it to...............

Cheers,

OldTimer

Good stuff OT! I often read that it's hard to find sand fleas on the Florida Coast. Any tips on finding them more easily? Finding sand fleas (aka sand crabs) in California is not a problem at all once you know what to look for.

How's the pompano bite at the end of December...or mid-March?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-18-2012, 03:29 PM
(11-18-2012 10:20 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Good stuff OT! I often read that it's hard to find sand fleas on the Florida Coast. Any tips on finding them more easily? Finding sand fleas (aka sand crabs) in California is not a problem at all once you know what to look for.

How's the pompano bite at the end of December...or mid-March?

Yes - these wee crabs are sometimes a mystery to me. I've caught enough one day...... and just a day later - in exactly the same area found none at all. My mom had them figured out - she'd always out-catch me - but she never shared the secret.

I've usually caught more on the low end of a rising tide just where the fine sand sorta intersects the coarser wee gravel and fine shell fragments. Never had much luck if the tide got real high. Also noticed that there were more in the deeper troughs or swales the beach might have along its edge.

When my son was young he could spend hours (while I fished) catching them using a small wide scoop garden shovel and old plastic pasta collander. Was quite a hoot watching that show.......smile. If he caught a bunch he'd run up and down the shore offering them to other fisherman.... made me smile, and we did meet a lot of interesting people from all over the world.

My dad tried boiling then freezing some once - made them tougher but didnt work that great at all (no fish). Fresh is best.

That whole period from November to March can have decent Pompano fishing. I used to go at least twice a year - once in late November, once in the LATE spring, and occassionally at March break.They're not monsters here - but fun and yummy. If you get down towards, or at, Sebastion Inlet they can go up to 4 pounds.

Key thing I've found with Pompano is that you need clearer waters. They scatter deep after a storm or big blow churns everthing up. Best fishing follows a few days of calm, or off shore breezes, changing to a nice onshore wind, or just slightly down the beach from the north.

Regards,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-18-2012, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 05:04 PM by MuskieBait.)
(11-18-2012 03:29 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Yes - these wee crabs are sometimes a mystery to me. I've caught enough one day...... and just a day later - in exactly the same area found none at all. My mom had them figured out - she'd always out-catch me - but she never shared the secret.

I've usually caught more on the low end of a rising tide just where the fine sand sorta intersects the coarser wee gravel and fine shell fragments. Never had much luck if the tide got real high. Also noticed that there were more in the deeper troughs or swales the beach might have along its edge.

When my son was young he could spend hours (while I fished) catching them using a small wide scoop garden shovel and old plastic pasta collander. Was quite a hoot watching that show.......smile. If he caught a bunch he'd run up and down the shore offering them to other fisherman.... made me smile, and we did meet a lot of interesting people from all over the world.

My dad tried boiling then freezing some once - made them tougher but didnt work that great at all (no fish). Fresh is best.

That whole period from November to March can have decent Pompano fishing. I used to go at least twice a year - once in late November, once in the LATE spring, and occassionally at March break.They're not monsters here - but fun and yummy. If you get down towards, or at, Sebastion Inlet they can go up to 4 pounds.

Key thing I've found with Pompano is that you need clearer waters. They scatter deep after a storm or big blow churns everthing up. Best fishing follows a few days of calm, or off shore breezes, changing to a nice onshore wind, or just slightly down the beach from the north.

Regards,

OldTimer

Thanks OT. Hopefully Michael and I can put that info to good use.

Interesting. My friend gave us some parboiled sand crabs to try in San Diego and they worked alright. Different fish, different preference I guess.

Hey, if we have room for one more, would you like to join us? We are planning a mix of freshwater fishing (Margate. Miami and Tamiami) and saltwater fishing (Keys, Central Coast, maybe even Tampa area). Our goal is to try to catch as many species as possible (any surprise there? Big Grin). We're planning a 9-10 day trip, staying at my uncle's and cousin's house, and camping in the Keys. It should be fairly cheap (We're aiming for under $600 per person budget).

We're planning to go with my sister and her boyfriend. We would like to go the week after Christmas weather permitting. March Break is our second option, but if my sister secures a full time job though, she may not be able to go. We may have an open spot for one or two for March Break if that's the case.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

11-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I think perhaps my father may have "over boiled" the sand fleas. I mentioned the process as an option. I have had several others tell me of their success with them. Maybe your friends "parboiling" process is the key - do you know how long they were in the boiling water?

Sounds like an exciting adventure - I'm sure you'll have a blast. I’ll look forward to your reports.

Don't forget that if you get blown off the beach by high winds along the coast - the day can sometimes be saved by fishing the calmer/warmer inland saltwater lagoons, estuaries, causeways and landings for seatrout, etc.

OT

See you on the river.
11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
(11-19-2012 09:30 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  I think perhaps my father may have "over boiled" the sand fleas. I mentioned the process as an option. I have had several others tell me of their success with them. Maybe your friends "parboiling" process is the key - do you know how long they were in the boiling water?

Sounds like an exciting adventure - I'm sure you'll have a blast. I’ll look forward to your reports.

Don't forget that if you get blown off the beach by high winds along the coast - the day can sometimes be saved by fishing the calmer/warmer inland saltwater lagoons, estuaries, causeways and landings for seatrout, etc.

OT

My friend told me he just put them in quickly until the shell turns orange, then immediately take them out and dunk in a bowl of water with ice in it. He said the whole point to parboiling to just to make the shells harden but keep the inside relatively "fresh".

Hm...I wonder if parboiling shrimp would work. Idea

Yeah, the good thing about Florida is that if the surf/ocean is too rough, there is always other options like the Intercoastal or freshwater. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
OldTimer (11-19-2012)
11-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey,

Revised and expanded this article.

Hope it helps a few enjoy the surf..........

.pdf  Central Florida surf fishin 101 Rev 2 Nov 18 2013.pdf (Size: 1.4 MB / Downloads: 29)

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
03-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Two absolutely excellent articles on Reading the Surf:

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7396.0

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.p...429.0.html

A must read for the salt water angler......... but a lot applies in freshwater too.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
03-24-2014, 10:44 AM
I miss Saltwater fishing!!! never know what you're gonna catch !
04-05-2014, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:18 PM by fishfight.)
Surf fish on most state was $1 from Maine then to other southern state. But need to register on line. These states are somewhat affiliated. Just sign up once, Pay $1 and you are good to fish in most states.

Fresh and salt water license inland are not free of course.

EDITED APRIL 9 - MY COMMENT ABOVE IS NOT ACCURATE! PLEASE READ MUSKIEBAIT'S DILIGENT EFFORT IN COLLECTING ACCURATE INFO ON FISHING LICENSE in US COASTAL WATERS. THANKS KEN![/b]
Find all posts by this user