You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Taking it up a notch
10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Sad Taking it up a notch
I've been watching a few float fishermen and I'm totally intrigued by the dicipline. I couldn't get my float rig far enough out with my 8.5 ft rod. I went out andf bought a 13 ft rod hoping to be able to use it for a while with one of my spinning reels. No such luck!

I went up to Elwood Epps to buy a Rapala float reel as I had heard they were pretty good for the money and wound up getting a Okuma Raw-II. Now to master the wallis cast.

Doubless I will have a new set of earingsbefore I master the beast.

and yes I did stop at Webers for a burger. Who can pass that up. You can see Epps from Webers on Hwy 11.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 03:55 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Taking it up a notch
Nice! You are taking it up a notch. Muskiebait and I are also getting starting in float fishing this season. Big Grin

Unfortunately my "new" used Okuma Aventa doesn't seem to be in too great of a condition so that'll cause some delay.

Other than that... it's insanely fun! It took me 2 days of practice to even begin to understand how to do the wallis / pull cast... now I'm getting a little better at it. Good luck!

Notice he's pulling the line back behind the reel? I was pulling it straight down and that was tripping me up for a while.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2012, 03:31 AM
I've repeatedly watched that video for the past week and I can cast on grass. It is very much like tia chi as DJ says, I keep my pull and guide action parallel to the ground. The wife thinks I'm nutz. The problem that I have is letting the reel go, I tend to "ride the brakes" which isn't a bad thing. I've only had 2 moderate backlashes. There are a few other sites but that video is the best Everytime I get down to the river it's been too windy or too populated to try. Where I go the open spaces are at a premium and for a 13ft rod and the wallis cast you need some overhead clearance.

I've found most experienced float fishermen will offer advice freely. In fact I've only run into one or two knobs in my time at the local fishing holes .
10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
(10-09-2012 03:31 AM)beaser Wrote:  I've repeatedly watched that video for the past week and I can cast on grass. It is very much like tia chi as DJ says, I keep my pull and guide action parallel to the ground. The wife thinks I'm nutz. The problem that I have is letting the reel go, I tend to "ride the brakes" which isn't a bad thing. I've only had 2 moderate backlashes. There are a few other sites but that video is the best Everytime I get down to the river it's been too windy or too populated to try. Where I go the open spaces are at a premium and for a 13ft rod and the wallis cast you need some overhead clearance.

I've found most experienced float fishermen will offer advice freely. In fact I've only run into one or two knobs in my time at the local fishing holes .

LOL my neighbours also think I'm nuts... last week it was the surf rod in the soccer field... this week it's the float in the garden...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I also tend to ride the breaks per say... just worried about overruns more than getting distance.

10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
We should all get together and go fish with our new equipment. Im still learning. Ive got the wallis cast down pretty decent, getting more and more distance with less hiccups then when i started thats for sure. Was thanks to an older gent I met on the Nottawasaga who has been floating for 30+ years. He gave me some sound advice from across the river, then waded across to show me more. Turned out he knew my father from fishing up there as well lol.
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 10:08 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(10-09-2012 09:34 AM)Ridx Wrote:  We should all get together and go fish with our new equipment. Im still learning. Ive got the wallis cast down pretty decent, getting more and more distance with less hiccups then when i started thats for sure. Was thanks to an older gent I met on the Nottawasaga who has been floating for 30+ years. He gave me some sound advice from across the river, then waded across to show me more. Turned out he knew my father from fishing up there as well lol.

Nice! So that's 4 members here learning how to float fish this season. Great minds think alike Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

We can choose a location that's about the same distance between us. Now to look back at the intros and remember where you guys are from.... Wink

edit: So we have Brantford, Barrie, Markham and Toronto.... LOL what's equidistant from us Confused

10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Bronte. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
(10-09-2012 10:57 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Bronte. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I'm up for that.

10-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Me too but where on Bronte? I was down there yesterday, I started at hwy 5 ( dundass st) but the area i used to park to get down was fenced off for construction. Then i went down to the QEW and went down, the water is so low there was really no place I found that would be floatable. Went down petro can park the lot was full i couldnt park anywhere. Hopefully one of you knwow some better spots the I do!. id say the credit is another good area but ive never fished it so again stuck on where to go. But im up for anything!
10-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Credit is good too...I grew up fishing that river. It's been almost 7 years since I've last fished there...gosh...time flies!!! Confused

That does not mean I do well on the Credit Rolleyes Just that I know where the pools are Big Grin I've caught a total of 4 steelheads from the Credit...while my friends can catch 3 in a day Confused I usually do much better on the east tribs...hence I don't fish Credit much anymore...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html