You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Toys and Trinkets
04-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Toys and Trinkets
Doncha just love trying “new- to you” fishing trinkets, tools and stuff out…………… me too – keeps it interesting and occasionally improves the enjoyment and/or performance.

Here are two of the things I’m still looking for here in Canada - & hope to try this year:

Fish Grip “JR”……………………….. this is the NEW smaller model, it floats also. I’m hoping it will be useful when wading – rather than a net.

http://www.thefishgrip.net/#!

Ghost Cocoon Thread………. Haven’t seen this in Canada yet………….. for tying bait onto hooks or lures.

http://www.anglers-tackle.com/customer-f...hread.html

Any of you see, or just get, any neat new things to suggest trying?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Toys and Trinkets
I did get and use one of these fish grippers this summer and fall........... and overall - I'm glad I did - was a lot handier than fumbling with a net most times and great for when you're wading. Not advised for LARGE "non-docile" fish as it can inflict some damage to their throat tissue in this instance..........but no problem for the smaller or well played out fish.

I do have a few rolls of this Ghost Cocoon on its way (via Ebay)....... will report on its value after I get/use it.

Cheers,

OT

See you on the river.
11-20-2013, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 05:39 PM by MuskieBait.)
I have used the Ghost Cocoon in California when we went fishing for bat rays. It was used to secure a whole squid onto the circle hook, and to keep the bait from folding back over the hook. It worked nicely.

I wonder if our typical Spider Thread used for tying spawn sacs would work equally...

I would probably get a spool to try it out...we do need to secure some squid....

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
What attracted me was that it's ads portray a looser multiple strand fibre that is more open and perhaps helpful in holding/securing a bait in a more "net" like fashion rather than a single cord.......... but don't know..........

I've seen reported that it is used a in Fla. for clams and other soft fleshed cut baits to help secure them a tad longer.

If it works out - might be great for the various sloppy catfish baits here.

Time will tell...........

OT

See you on the river.
11-26-2013, 01:53 AM
(04-08-2013 03:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Fish Grip “JR”……………………….. this is the NEW smaller model, it floats also. I’m hoping it will be useful when wading – rather than a net.

Having tried it out earlier this year, I found it to be the wrong tool for a grip that can replace a net. With a spring-loaded grip, if you miss, you can try again. With the Fish Grip, if you miss you have to use both hands to cock it again. Lots of wasted time and fumbling.

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
(11-26-2013 01:53 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 03:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Fish Grip “JR”……………………….. this is the NEW smaller model, it floats also. I’m hoping it will be useful when wading – rather than a net.

Having tried it out earlier this year, I found it to be the wrong tool for a grip that can replace a net. With a spring-loaded grip, if you miss, you can try again. With the Fish Grip, if you miss you have to use both hands to cock it again. Lots of wasted time and fumbling.

I used mine while standing on the shore or when river wading and didn't seem to have a problem opening it with one hand by hooking one arm of it on one of my jean's pockets, or on my rod's shaft when need be............. many times I was able to open it with just my left hand (- but a half century++ of guitar playing may have given me a digit strength/dexterity edge here over others).

See you on the river.
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
(11-26-2013 05:10 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-26-2013 01:53 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  

I used mine while standing on the shore or when river wading and didn't seem to have a problem opening it with one hand by hooking one arm of it on one of my jean's pockets, or on my rod's shaft when need be............. many times I was able to open it with just my left hand (- but a half century++ of guitar playing may have given me a digit strength/dexterity edge here over others).

I like the fish grip a lot. Best part is that it has flat gripping surfaces which do not damage the fish. I've seen a few bleeders result from 'boga' style grips and I personally would not use one.
Find all posts by this user
12-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I got mesmerized by the video of this product, Wigglefin Action Disks:
http://wigglefin.com/
12-31-2013, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 04:52 PM by fishfight.)
I just got this collapsible rod On line.
10.5 ft long
Nine guides.
weigh 270 grams
19" long once retracted
Cost US$25

I was impress with the backbone on this rod, should be applicable for carp and salmon fishing, . The upper half is not as flexible or noodlish as other retractable/flexible rod. I plan to carry this around for travelling or as a back up rod on my back pack , just in case my normal 10ft rod breaks.

[Image: IMG_0002_zps804da5b5.jpg]

Only draw back was I need to add some weight to the back to balance it further. The weight is somewhat in the upper half of the rod. The aluminum screweable butt cap is removable, so I can either add weight or keep lures inside it.