You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Virginia 2014
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 10:37 PM by MuskieBait.)
Virginia 2014
The stories (you really gotta read it!):

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...day-1.html

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...day-2.html

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...day-3.html

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...day-4.html

The pics:

[Image: IMG_1481_post.jpg]

#387 for Elijah...tying my #387 for a short while...then completely surpassing my lifer count after. Super happy for Elijah and his accomplishments on this trip!

[Image: IMG_6872_post.jpg]

Swamp monster...

[Image: Swamp_Fishing_post.jpg]

Finally a lifer for me...my only lifer of the trip...and my first lifer of 2014...yes, it was a difficult trip...

[Image: IMG_1499_post.jpg]

We caught more species...but Northern Snakeheads are just too cool not to highlight. Lia's lifer Northern Snakehead was impressive! It was about 8-9lbs, but the photographer did a pretty good job to make it look massive :wink:

[Image: IMG_1507_post.jpg]

The snakehead whisperer

[Image: IMG_1508_post.jpg]

Yes, we did have a blast!!!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
RE: Virginia 2014
Great report! Glad you called in the info... Looking forward to picture of the hat!
Find all posts by this user
05-17-2014, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 12:10 AM by MuskieBait.)
(05-16-2014 11:49 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Great report! Glad you called in the info... Looking forward to picture of the hat!

If it wasn't for the tempting reward, I may not have called it in. Angel

Maryland DFG is our enemy since they want to eradicate all snakeheads...that doesn't sit well with me. Angel

I can't wait to see the hat as well!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

05-17-2014, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 01:42 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Another breathtaking adventure from the man himself. Cudos Ken for a freaking intense fishing-packed snakey shadey micro-ey lifer-ey 4 day extravaganza Big Grin! Loved the report, made me feel like I was there shaking off inchworms like the rest Tongue.

Cool to see you guys opted to wetwade the snakehead waters. I know you mentioned bull sharks, but what about sting rays? Clearly they'd just love to root into that bottom there.

Would that puddle you fished for the eastern mudminnows rank as the smallest body of water you've fished? That's gotta be a future section on your blog.... something along the lines of "most memorable fishing spot" or "craziest place I've fished" hahaha.

Crazy that you were able to pick apart a separate species of shad and then go after them. Mad skills, huge props. Can't imagine the insanity, you and Eli both got a full sampling of shad. Big Grin

Like I said before, sounds like a crazy 4 days and can't wait to see a shot of that hat you'll remember it all by!

[Image: logobgs.png]
05-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Intense adventure. Nice fish.

The bog shots and colours look like an alien world........... certainly not typically expected USA landscape.

I'd be worried about leeches, parasites, and such........

Great articles and pics.

Thanks.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 09:36 AM by MuskieBait.)
(05-17-2014 01:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Cool to see you guys opted to wetwade the snakehead waters. I know you mentioned bull sharks, but what about sting rays? Clearly they'd just love to root into that bottom there.

As long as you shuffle your feet, stingrays usually leave you alone...usually...

(05-17-2014 01:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Would that puddle you fished for the eastern mudminnows rank as the smallest body of water you've fished? That's gotta be a future section on your blog.... something along the lines of "most memorable fishing spot" or "craziest place I've fished" hahaha.

Technically, no...since the puddle was connected to the main bog by a 2" deep "channel" area...so fish can come in and out of the puddle. If it was completely separated, then yes. But yeah, it was pretty rad fishing that puddle. Should have taken a picture...but as always...too busy fishing.

(05-17-2014 01:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Crazy that you were able to pick apart a separate species of shad and then go after them. Mad skills, huge props. Can't imagine the insanity, you and Eli both got a full sampling of shad. Big Grin

Not really that crazy...the Bluebacks were half the size of the Hickories...so they are pretty easy to spot. They seemed to stick closer to shore though so that little part of realization was important.

If you type in "Snakehead Control hat" into Google Image, you see an example. I hope it looks like that because the colour is perfect for my ninja style and the embroidery is pretty good. Wink

(05-17-2014 07:19 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  I'd be worried about leeches, parasites, and such........

No leeches...not sure about parasites yet (I guess I'll know in a few weeks or months)...but I was glad we didn't have any urethra-embedding mini catfish in North America. May have to wear a jock for protection in South America. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

05-18-2014, 12:12 AM
It's funny that not one but TWO Eli's got their lifer snakehead out of that gross culvert. One day we'll find a dead body there, I'm sure of it.
Still, it's an awesome place to fish! That leaf pile is always worth an extra cast (with a swimbait, of course) as the snakeheads become completely invisible when they sit on top of it.
Find all posts by this user
05-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeah...that leaf pile is something. Couple of times I had a fish following...one that I did not spot.

Malama o ke kai