You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Volunteers Wanted Oct 27 Coho Egg Collection
10-28-2012, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 12:08 AM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
RE: Volunteers Wanted Oct 27 Coho Egg Collection
Thank you,
Michael, Abel, and Dave.
With your help, This was the best outing, in numbers of volunteers, and the coho salmon run also.

In past years we would have gone out for 2-4 days looking for half as many eggs and male specimen as we found today.

At the same time, it was normally the same people doing this project year after year.
Today, It was very nice to see a large amount of members out to support the Metro east anglers today,
For the Coho Salmon Egg Collection.
It was great to show the new members of the group, a great start to the 2013 coho stocking program Wink...

Thanks For your Help Ontarioshorefishing.com

~Jeremy.

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Jeremy Ray Green for this post:
MichaelAngelo (10-28-2012), tangledline (10-28-2012)
10-28-2012, 11:09 AM
It's really a very interesting and nice activity. I had a lot fun yesterday.
what to improve:
1. I should have worn a water proof coat, the wet coat made me too cold.
2. I should have bought a wader in order to net fishes in the water.
3. it would be perfect if we could prepare a quick lunch and some hot drink.
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 02:03 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
Hey Onwind,

Yesterday was a very different day than expected in previous years for our coho egg collections.

In most years our group of only about 6 individuals would make the trip to the river only to find a few Hens and a few Males ready to give up their spawn.

in order to obtain an amount of eggs that was obtained yesterday.

our group would tirelessly try to find these coho in more than one river over 4-6 days to find even half the amount of eggs.

As a Group yesterday we did not expect to find soo many eggs.

normally we would have been on the river for at most 2 hours.
yesterday we worked from 10:00 am to 2:30 on the river, and collected 103 thousand eggs. from 30 females.

If we knew how much work we had ahead of ourselves im sure our group would have made better arangements for some warm beverages...

As for the getting in the water part, I got into a set of chest waders, and was in the water for a bit, this year with the rain the water is higher than what was expected, and my waders got flooded. glad that happenned ealry in the day cause i wasnt looking forward to walking through the river for the electroshocking part, There were areas where in the past rocks would be sticking 5 ft out of the water, yesterday you couldnt even tell they were there.
I was wet and cold all day and even this morning when i woke up my body was still feeling it Wink ...

We had an amazing turnout on the river yesterday, with 18 volunteers helping at one point in the day.

It took us longer than normal to process eggs, because again, we had so many eggs from our one day collection.
We were not done at the hatchery until almost 8:00 pm.

It was a long day but the benefits will be rewarding. And Anyone who attended will be part of a video documentary for our group.

~Jeremy.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jeremy Ray Green for this post:
tangledline (10-28-2012)
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
What a great success it was!

I can't wait to see the video.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to onwind for this post:
MichaelAngelo (12-06-2012)
12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey Nice Pic Of Michael, and a Long time MEA volunteer Ettore.
One thing about Ettore, He Does not even fish, he just does not care for it, he just wants to help....

A very nice gentleman that is always willing to give a helping hand...

So If you guys ever wanted to know how high a rainbow trout could jump.....

The "PEN" of water on the top side of the fish ladder had only coho salmon init the day before, as they were stored just for our group to extract eggs from, over night a small rainbow trout about 2 pounds made the jump over that "FENCE" and was in with the coho salmon that were stored...
True story...

We also managed to electroshock a breeding pair of atlantic salmon, we first caught the male, and the MNR, suggested we werent allowed to stop electro shocking until we found the female, as these salmon are almost presumed to mate for life...

we found both the male and female and tagged them and sent them upstream to better spawning areas.

~Jeremy.

12-03-2012, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 08:58 PM by onwind.)

12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Awesome pics! BTW whats that stuff in the jar of the last pic?

Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
They're collection of Dorsal parts from the Salmons, which will be sent to the lab and used to examine whether the fishes have diseases or something like that.
(12-04-2012 03:51 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  Awesome pics! BTW whats that stuff in the jar of the last pic?

Giuga10
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
(12-04-2012 05:20 PM)onwind Wrote:  They're collection of Dorsal parts from the Salmons, which will be sent to the lab and used to examine whether the fishes have diseases or something like that.
(12-04-2012 03:51 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  Awesome pics! BTW whats that stuff in the jar of the last pic?

Giuga10

The Adipose Fin.

Its the small fleshy fin before the tail, if you catch a chinook salmon that has a adipose fin clip, it most likely came from our ringwood hatchery,
the chinook salmon adipose fin clip program was discontinued this year, as the chinook program was moved to normandal hatchery for the 2012 year and beyond.

~Jeremy