You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

WTF!!! People stealing and using my picture without permission!!!
12-21-2012, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 04:07 PM by MuskieBait.)
WTF!!! People stealing and using my picture without permission!!!
My amberjack caught off Jacksonville area in 2009...

[Image: Savannah_Montauk110.jpg]

[Image: Savannah_Montauk113.jpg]

And these low lives took the picture without permission to post on their website...

http://fishingrigz.com/fish/greater-amberjack.html

What can I do at this point? Any ideas? There isn't any link I can click to contact them and demand for them to take it off...it is now beyond me giving permission...and it is either take it off or compensate me for the use of the pictures.

Angry

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
RE: WTF!!! People stealing and using my picture without permission!!!
http://whois.domaintools.com/fishingrigz.com

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MuskieBait (12-21-2012)
12-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Thank OT!

I would demand at the minimum to credit the photograph with my name!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

12-21-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 08:21 AM by OldTimer.)
That sounds quite reasonable and I cannot see why they would not agree - good pic for just a few words in the corner........ a bargain.

I hope you succeed in this quest. Along my way I have put a few things up here and there - generally I do get emails requesting permission to use certain material - which I almost always grant as long as a by line is attached mentioning my father or myself. They all gladly comply with thanks.

Also - Many people all over the world currently are having "problems" now that Facebook is exercising its right to use any, and all, pictures, or info, put up on line through them for wahtever purpose pleases them including selling it for a profit..

Bottom line...............you want it to be private.............. never put it in on line - it will be there FOREVER .................and is unrecoverable, and uncontrollable the instant you release it.

But that's just mumbles from this old guy................ smile.

Cheers,

OT

See you on the river.
12-21-2012, 08:12 PM
(12-21-2012 07:23 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  That sounds quite reasonable and I cannot see why they would not agree - good pic for just a few words in the corner........ a bargain.

I hope you succeed in this quest. Along my way I have put a few things up here and there - generally I do get emails requesting permission to use certain material - which I almost always grant as long as a by line is attached mentioning my father or myself. They all gladly comply with thanks.

Also - Many people all over the world currently are having "problems" now that Facebook is exercising its right to use any, and all, pictures, or info, put up on line through them for wahtever purpose pleases them including selling it for a profit..

Bottom line...............you want it to be private.............. never put it in on line - it will be there FOREVER .................and is unrecoverable, and uncntrollable the instant you release it.

But that's just mumbles from this old guy................ smile.

Cheers,

OT

The issue I forsee is that eventually I would like to compile some kind of fishing biography/travel log book detailing my species hunt...and these same pictures will appear in the book in the future. I do not like to run into any copyright issue since these are my very own pictures...but having them already posted elsewhere may cause an issue in the future for the book...

At the same time, I would hate to have to withhold pictures and stories to share to avoid people using the material without permission...for the sake of this book that may be compiled in the future...

Malama o ke kai

12-21-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 08:22 PM by MikeH.)
(12-21-2012 08:12 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  The issue I forsee is that eventually I would like to compile some kind of fishing biography/travel log book detailing my species hunt...and these same pictures will appear in the book in the future. I do not like to run into any copyright issue since these are my very own pictures...but having them already posted elsewhere may cause an issue in the future for the book...

At the same time, I would hate to have to withhold pictures and stories to share to avoid people using the material without permission...for the sake of this book that may be compiled in the future...

You may have to split the images that you post on forums from the images you want to keep for any future publication, or put a watermark on all your pics that appear online. Google has probably farmed all the pics from the public forums and they show up under a search, with no copyright tag in the image.

Or tell everyone that you never take any photos and keep them all private.....Big Grin

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Absolutely insane. How did you manage to find these guys in the first place.

One crazy thing is that if you search up your OSF username you`ll find a lot of pictures of yourself from the forum depending on how widely your username applies, ex. when I searched up MuskieBait on Google I found some pictures from Ken and most relating to bait for Muskies and other general fishing. When I searched up OldTimer it was all pictures of old cars. When I searched up MichaelAngelo it was all artwork. And when I searched up Giuga10 it was a lot of pictures of me and other members of the forum, and then some random pictures from wherever. I`ts crazy how our pics and info spread on the internet, it`s totally true once something is on the internet it never comes back.

Giuga10
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I may have to put ugly watermarks to my pictures in the future... Sad

Malama o ke kai

12-22-2012, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 08:07 AM by OldTimer.)
The watermarks need not be ugly.

I've used this freeware in the past - worked OK.

http://www.picture-shark.com/watermark_f...amples.htm

OT
(12-21-2012 08:33 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  When I searched up OldTimer it was all pictures of old cars.

Giuga10

We prefer "vintage" or "classic" to "old".................. smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks again OT!

Malama o ke kai