You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wanted: Baitrunner / Bait feeder reel
01-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Wanted: Baitrunner / Bait feeder reel
Interested in purchasing a large-ish baitrunner reel for bait fishing applications. I am aware that Shimano and Okuma prodcue reputable baitrunner reels.

I'm eyeing the Okuma Epixor EB series...

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: Wanted: Baitrunner / Bait feeder reel
This is this recent thread on fishhawk about a discunt baitrunner.... If your looking to sample ebay may provide some alternatives before you buy an expensive one.
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2013, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 01:44 AM by MuskieBait.)
If I may...

I know you have big aspiration for the application of this reel...

So I would suggest not to go cheap on it and get a quality reel.

Shimano Baitrunner D...or Penn Spinfisher V...you would want a reel size of 4500 at the minimum...6500 would be more versatile but heavier.

Okuma Epixor is OK...but if you are talking saltwater grade and saltwater fish capable, I'm not entirely confident on the construction of that reel. There is a Okuma Coronado out there I think that is a better fit...if you can find it.

You know...if the Spinfisher V 6500 Liveliner is available on time in March, I may upgrade to that...I've been thinking about it...and my Baitrunner 4500 will then be available...hint, hint...but that's assuming I can order it off BassPro or somewhere...I don't think local stores will stock that reel unfortunately...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-13-2013, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 10:00 AM by MikeH.)
Theres a ton of baitrunner / freespool reels on the Carpkit site, not sure if you are looking for a saltwater reel though. Might be worth a look anyway, just to see the various features.....

http://www.carpkit.com/categories/Reels/...estselling

CRAP! now I have my eye on this Okuma, on sale at $65 off

http://www.carpkit.com/okuma-powerliner-...it-runner/

See what you've done!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 12:46 PM by MuskieBait.)
Let's just say when Michael was in Florida he wanted to fish tarpon under the bridges with this big 6000 size spinner...but it has a graphite spool...

He said he just wanted to at least get a tarpon on the line and feel its power...

I felt like a broken record when I say "You're playing with fire"

To me, there's no point in hooking a fish and then having that fish snap you off within seconds and having that fish trail yards and yards of line behind it. A tarpon can run out 100 yards of line within seconds (heck, the Yellow Jack ran out a 1/4 of my spool within seconds...and I had 300 yards of 50lb Sufix 832 braid on that spool!). And we were fishing bridge pilings where it was impossible to follow a fish or pull them around the piling from the bridge. It was simply silly. It a whole different game if you are targeting from a boat so you can follow the fish around on a short, tight line.

With all due respect, MikeH, I think it would serve best for Michael to make an "investment" buy and get a saltwater grade reel...you can always use a saltwater reel for freshwater fishing, but some freshwater reels are not good for saltwater fishing at all. The internal components may not be corrosion resistant enough, and the metal material may not sustain repeated higher drag pressure and extremely fast run (say a jack or a shark). At least then he could "lock down" the drag and at least try to horse a fish without worrying about internal failure. When you're on a trip and a reel breaks down on you, you're out of the game. All that money invested to arrive at your destination, and a gear failure prevent you from enjoying the fishing you traveled to experience...that's just silly to me too.

They don't have to be $800-1000 Stella or Saltiga, but a respectable and track record proven saltwater grade reel is probably the best choice. Make the investment once, and you'll have a reel that will last 20 years. I've been selling some gear and making these investments. My reels are all under $200...but they have proven track record and solid construction for the gear class.

The difference to me is whether you pay $150-170 for a quality saltwater grade baitrunner (Shimano Baitrunner or Penn Spinfisher V or Penn Slammer Liveliner), or pay for a cheaper $80 Okuma Epixor that will need to be replaced again a few years down the road.

Truly, I'm very happy with my Shimano Baitrunner. It has handled a couple of big bat ray in the 50-60lb class, and now a southern stingray in that 20-30lb class. Zero corrosion, zero maintenance, smooth as butter...not much more you can ask for. Although the body is graphite, the track record from everyone fishing it around the world shows the body is rigid enough (within reason) to handle some very big fish (even 100lb+ Mekong Catfish and 200lb+ Arapaima...Baitrunner is the workhorse for fishing guides in Thailand). I have absolute confidence in that reel.

But if possible, the Penn Spinfisher V would be a great upgrade since it has gaskets and seals to make it very water resistant (not waterproof...but I'm not skishing with that reel), and it does have HT-100 carbon drag plus a full metal body. That just says quality saltwater design to me. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
LOL, I assumed he wanted a bait runner for Carping or live bait under a float in local waters.... not too many Tarpons hiding under the blue bridge on olympic canal......Tongue

01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
(01-13-2013 05:13 PM)MikeH Wrote:  LOL, I assumed he wanted a bait runner for Carping or live bait under a float in local waters.... not too many Tarpons hiding under the blue bridge on olympic canal......Tongue

Big Grin

Nah, after the California trip and the Florida trip, Michael is looking for something that is a bit more dependable.

Ask him about the heavy action rod that snapped on him in California and he had no way to reach the mackerel that were biting. Wink

Malama o ke kai

01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I can relate to that. I once had a rented fibreglass rod splinter on me in the caribbean when the drag siezed on the shitty rented spool attached to it. I got two stitches in my forehead, but my sunglasses probably saved my eye!

01-13-2013, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 08:47 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(01-13-2013 06:31 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Nah, after the California trip and the Florida trip, Michael is looking for something that is a bit more dependable.

Ask him about the heavy action rod that snapped on him in California and he had no way to reach the mackerel that were biting. Wink

Indeed, I am beginning to understand the importance of reliable gear. Just like Ken said, if your gear fails on a trip you're SOL. All of that time and money and sweat poured into reaching your destination could be thrown out the window. This is exactly what happened to me in California, and it happened the day the mackerel were going bonkers at the pier!

(01-13-2013 07:10 PM)MikeH Wrote:  I can relate to that. I once had a rented fibreglass rod splinter on me in the caribbean when the drag siezed on the shitty rented spool attached to it. I got two stitches in my forehead, but my sunglasses probably saved my eye!

Stiches?!? What do you reckon you hooked into? Or was it a strong snag Wink

man those tarpon were puuurrrrrrrdyyyyyy Big Grin

MikeH, when are we going to get to see those cod pictures from your holiday trip Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: logobgs.png]
01-14-2013, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 11:16 AM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
Hey,
I noticed somewhere up there that you suggest buying product from one of those BIG BOX sporting stores.

As this might be a quick convinient option.

It does not help the "LITTLE" guy, or Keep our money in our community.

This is a Small shop located in pickering.

I buy all my gear from these guys and if they dont have it, they will order it for me.

Tightline Fishermen's Warehouse.
1050 Brock, Pickering, ON L1W 3X4
Phone:(905) 837-0544

I would make the suggestion that if there is something you want then to Call and Ask For John.

Mention I sent you and he may be more Apt, to help you out.

I know you're buying your reel for big Game, and most likely Salt water applications, But This summer Michael, You'll have to make a trip out on lake ontario with me, and get some Salmon Slime on your New gear Wink ....

~Jeremy.

-Edit-, Just dont Ask them for Shimano Gear.... Big Grin Big Grin ....

Find all posts by this user