You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wanted: Baitrunner / Bait feeder reel
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 11:44 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Wanted: Baitrunner / Bait feeder reel
Getting saltwater gear in Ontario from small shops is like getting hockey stick in Florida from small shops. Most small shops do not have the item you want in stock because there is zero demand for the item locally.

I've dealt with little shops before. There was a small shop in Cambridge that I used to frequent quite a bit when I was studying in Waterloo. There was also another store in Waterloo that I frequent.

When I asked if they would order saltwater gear with me from specific companies, they said they were not interested in a one time special order for one reel or rod.

Since then, I don't special order from small shops anymore.

I'm sure I'm not the only picky one out there. When I buy a rod, I check for guide alignment, blank damage, spine...etc. If you special order one rod, and that rod unfortunately have manufacturer "defects" like misaligned guides, then what are you to do? It'll cost the small shops more money to get a second one for you...and it'll end up costing lots both for small shops and you. I often go to a store and pick through all the rods in stock to find the best one available. I do the same for reels. Even if they are mass produced, they are not the same. Some will have a little wobble more than others, some has better fit than others.

I just can't imagine asking a small shop to special order a rod or reel for me, then have me say "well, this rod's guide is misaligned...I want another one." or "well, this reel has a strange wobble...I want another one."

What if you special ordered a carbon fiber hockey stick in Florida and found a chip on the blade? That was the one and only stick you have on hand. Do you buy it because it is too much hassle to return and get another at extra cost to the shop and you? Would you accept imperfections?

Personally, I don't accept imperfections as much as possible. I'm anal about perfection...that's just the way I am.

Unfortunately, saltwater gear is not readily available in stores locally (and understandably). Big box stores are where you may have more variety and find some saltwater gear at times. For example, LeBaron stocks UglyStik Tiger rods, Penn Spinfisher SSM's and Shimano Baitrunner 8000 size. Bass Pro Shops has some saltwater gear as well like Shimano Tekota and some low end Penn reels. I haven't check Sail yet...and I would like a nice surprise if they stock some decent saltwater gear.

Even simple things like a 1/4 spool of 40lb Berkley Big Game mono is hard to find in small shops. The small shop in Cambridge only stock mono up to 30lbs...and Sufix Performance braid up to 40lbs...and then say to me "Why would you need line heavier than that?"

Actually, the benefit of big box stores is their return policy...especially for online purchases...since you're likely doing an online purchase for saltwater gear...but with their online return or exchange, you don't have to listen to small shop owners complain about having to order another reel for you because the rod guides are not aligned. Been there, done that...sick of hearing shop owners say "Well, it's just a bit off...you'll be making me pay extra just to return this rod and get another one. I'm not interested."...and then guilt you into the purchase.

Just my $0.02.

For your regular freshwater local gear, by all means, support the smaller shops as much as you can.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I think you'll be surprised about tightline's As his Business is 80 % trolling....

Just my 2 cents Wink ....

~Jeremy.

Find all posts by this user
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 01:08 PM by MuskieBait.)
(01-14-2013 12:52 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  I think you'll be surprised about tightline's As his Business is 80 % trolling....

Just my 2 cents Wink ....

~Jeremy.

Trolling does not equal saltwater gear. The shop in Cambridge that I used to frequent was focused on trolling gear as well...and that shop also had a charter out of Port D. It's Tall Tales in Cambridge if you must know...and they run Fins and Grins out of Port D.

I used to frequent their forum a lot too (http://www.talltales.on.ca)...but they are very focused on trolling and I don't have a boat. I don't visit much anymore.

They don't have any reels bigger than a 3/0 (if you can even call an Okuma Convector 30 a 3/0 reel)...and all of the local gear has levelwind.

I was looking for a reel without levelwind (ie conventional reel). A levelwind is just another piece to break down when a fish goes on a sizzling run. Comparatively, a 25lb king salmon does not make a sizzling run. I've caught a few from Lake Ontario on my friend's boat and I speak from experience. In contrast, the 3lb Yellow Jack I caught just a week ago makes a sizzling run. It took out 1/4 of my spool within seconds and I had 300 yards of 50lb braid on the reel. A levelwind just can't catch up fast enough with the spool sometimes...and it ends up wearing out the gears in your reels when there is that added resistance from the slow levelwind.

Other trolling reels often have line counter on them (Daiwa Levelwind LC for example)...and again, a line counter plus a levelwind equals more parts to break...and more gear failure. The less excessive parts, the better. Keeping it simple really is better for saltwater gear.

Does Tightline's stock Penn Special Senator 114H2? I personally don't see much need for the 6/0 reel here for trolling...too big, too heavy at 45oz in weight before spooling line on the reel...and local salmon trolling does not need the capacity of 390 yards of 60lb that the 6/0 offers.

I would like to be surprised though. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
You'll get the absolute best prices on saltwater gear from shops along the ocean(s).

Online is second best due to the way postage has risen (particularly on oversize rod shipments)

............didnt say much....... so I guess this is my 1 cents worth....................smile

..............then again pretty soon the smallest we can say will be a nickels worth - when the pennies are recalled next month.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 01:51 PM by MuskieBait.)
LOL Big Grin

I do love your sense of humour OT...just my cup of tea. Big Grin

Yeah, that's exactly it. But we don't have the luxury of shops along the ocean here...otherwise, this would be a moot point Wink

Online is second best...and regarding postage, big box stores like Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's regularly have cheap to free shipping promotion. Bass Pro Shops will now offer the same shipping promotions to Canadian Customers (used to be US only)...so hence the incentive to shop at big box shops...low shipping, great hassle free customer return/replacement policy...that's what I need. Big Grin

Just don't ask Bass Pro Shops to ship you a rod...bad experience there...never again. Reels and terminal gear is okay.

On the last trip, I bought all the gear online and have them shipped to a Bass Pro location in Florida so I can pick it up there...it's free shipping that way...and if there is any piece of gear I don't like, I can likely find a replacement in the store immediately. Little time loss...guarantee gear ready for you...easy shopping...what's not to like? Wink

Mom and pop shop here don't stock 6/0 reel, 50-80lb boat rods, 10/0 circle hooks or 180lb single strand wire leader...special order would cost me over 20-30% more in shipping cost alone from the store...since they are all single items from manufacturer that local shops never deals with. Tall Tales even tell me that their Canadian distributor for Okuma and Daiwa does not have the saltwater gear I want in stock, and the Canadian distributor is not interested in doing a one time special order either.

Trust me...I've explored A LOT of avenue to get my saltwater gear needs...I've narrowed it down to online big box shop, online tackle distributor like Tackle Warehouse, online forum used gear from trustworthy members...and perhaps eBay...but eBay is very poor on deals now.

Local Craiglist...you can get lucky once in a while...but again...who has saltwater gear to sell locally? You can get deals, but they may not be items that you want. You either have to be very patient for a very long time...or be extremely lucky. Been there, done that too...

Malama o ke kai