You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wanted: Reels and Rods
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Wanted: Reels and Rods
If anybody's selling reels (spinning or left-handed casting) or rods (at least 2 piece, medium and/or heavy) let me know. I'm feeling the limits of my current vintage gear Tongue.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 10:47 PM
RE: Wanted: Reels and Rods
I still have the Cardiff and Jigmaster for you. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-12-2012, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 12:44 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(09-11-2012 10:47 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I still have the Cardiff and Jigmaster for you. Wink

Yes sir but I need rods! Tongue

I just broke another tonight... couldn't tell the crazy bend I was putting on it in the darkness... just guess what me and my friend had on lol Tongue. Thank-goodness I was prepared for this to happen and was using the $20 telescopic pole... or maybe that was why it broke.. or my friend insisting we needed 15lb line on a rod built to handle.. maybe 10 max LOL

I'll try not snapping rods in half anymore, hey maybe one day I can have nice things! Tongue

Or just buy an Ugly Stick and face my fate as a rod breaker! Big Grin

09-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Not sure if they still have it...but LeBaron has a special on the UglyStik.

They have a 7' model for about $30, and a 9' model for about $40...you know...the two rods would be perfect for your need...the 7' for general fishing, the 9' for salmon, steelhead and brown trout. You can get the two for $70...not too shabby at all. Plus...the 9' would be perfect for the Christmas trip when you need a little more distance and a little more fighting strength. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I've owned a BUNCH of various rods, and broken plenty...................... my two oldest rods are a 6-6" and a 7" - both "old style" Ugly Stiks. The 6-6" is one I gave my dad round about 1979 or 80 and is the one I carry with me in my vehicle at all times.

By "old style" I mean those made from the ripply finish fiberglass/carbon blend. These are still avaialble at some places.

The newer "Lite" ugly sticks - are not as tough - I've snapped one after it got a small chip in the graphite. But I do like them - have 4.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
For half a year I used my friend's old fiberglass rod, I just figured I wouldn't want to back backwards and get another fiberglass rod. Graphite is much lighter and I can feel much more.

09-12-2012, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 10:02 AM by MuskieBait.)
In that case Michael, may I suggest spending a few more dollars to get some Shimano rods? They have Limited Lifetime Warranty, and if you talk to guys on SCSF, Shimano has a very good track record in terms of repairing or replacing broken rods.

The cheapest rod on LeBaron by Shimano with the Limited Lifetime Warranty is the Voltaeus. The 6'6" is $33, the 7" is $40. The only thing I don't like is the stainless steel guides with polished inserts. I've had braid worn grooves into the stainless steel inserts (on an UglyStik no less).

The next up is the new Sellus. The 6'6" is $53, the 7' is $62. This rod has pretty good components, especially the aluminum oxide guide, but I'm not sure what 24 ton graphite means.

If you want to get even better, you can get the Convergence. The 6'6" is $62, the 7' is $73. Good Fuji guides and good IM-7 graphite.

Or, you can always go the Pflueger Trion way...get a 3500 size Trion reel PLUS a 6'6" Trion IM-8 graphite rod for $64 at LeBaron...that's a good combo to me...plus you've used it and knows how it fishes and how it feels. Just don't dunk the reel...it's not saltwater grade...but I fished it in saltwater before and it held up to light saltwater use...so don't be too worried either. You can replace both the ceased up reel and your broken rod at the same time. Wink It sounds like I'm always pushing this combo, but I do think it is one of the smartest buy for the money (since you're not looking to spend a lot on rods and reels).

Malama o ke kai

09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
24 Ton graphite would be sorta in the IM6 range.

The "ton" and "IM" ratings while not based on all the same mechanical properties - they do rise in numerical value as ultimate tensile strength increases. The stiffness or sensitivity also increases. However impact strength and chip resistance decreases.......... as does weight (usually) and "toughness".

But there's a lot more to things than the rod blanks properties................ action.... taper.......true overall weight..........guide type, size, and spacing..........sensitivity sweet spot (at 2 oclock or 3 oclock etc)..........cork handle or synthetic........reels seat type and material.......reel type.......and on........

I guess thats why we all end up with so many rods and reels.............................. I think I feel an article on rods brewing within me.............

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.