You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Why is fishing so Expensive these days?
03-24-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: Why is fishing so Expensive these days?
(03-23-2014 08:32 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Each fish has it's own, personal, fun value. Some people have more fun with bass, others with steelhead, for example. Or, one can spend all day looking for a trophy muskie and catch one muskie and say that they had more fun that catching six bass had they been fishing for bass. Or, one can spend a week trying to catch a trophy muskie, not have any fun, and still prefer it to catching 42 bass.

Most fish I’ve caught were fun, in varying degrees. Those catches not fun were unintentional kills or those resulting in damage to people or things.

These days I really don’t like opening days, or crowded fishing venues, nor do I really need company.

It’s an overall quality experience that I seek, or trying new methods in old surroundings. Fish are a bonus that makes it even better.

(03-23-2014 08:40 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Exactly my point...so simply trying to optimize CPF doesn't really work.

Some can catch bass all day and every day but will not be happy until they catch a personal best bass. They are still catching bass, and optimizing the CPF...but their utility factor is different.

Some people can do the same thing over and over again and find the same utility...while some just get bored and don't receive the same utility.

The utility factor is different for every situation...so it can't really be quantified.

How do you compare catching a 5lb Brook Trout vs. a 100lb Tarpon? How do you compare catching a record 60lb Northern Pike after a 30 year dedicated pursue vs. a guided and chartered 1000lb Black Marlin depending on the captain and mates expertise?

If CPF is the metric for measurement, then I would have had a piss poor time last weekend in Quebec. But instead, I had a good time because of the company and the surroundings. I already knew it wasn't a prime time for burbot...but I do want to fish with Eli at least once this winter since he gave me the invite.

Like Nick's signature says:

Many men go fishing all of there lives not knowing that it's not the fish they are after.

As I've said in our past conversations...nowadays, I get the most enjoyment either:

1) sharing new fishing experiences (helping people catch new species or sharing a new technique, especially with foreign visitors or new arrivals)

2) visiting new areas AND meeting new people AND catching new species of my own

3) meeting up with old friends I don't see often and having a good time

Simply catching fish just don't really do it for my anymore...unless there is good company to go along with it...

Why do you think I'm so particular with my fishing trips these days? Unless I'm maximizing my utility, I would rather save that money and time for something else that will maximize my utility. Simply getting out "as much as I can" to "maybe or maybe not get skunked" on a trip to Simcoe for "species I've already caught plenty before" in "places that I'm familiar" is very low on utility for me...even if it is close, available and potentially exciting...because I'm not satisfying either one or the other of my above criteria...

It’s called maturity and experience. It strengthens as you go forward.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
When I first started fishing, it was with a sapling with line, a hook, a worm and a split shot for weight! And no there were no dinosaurs around where I was fishing. The amount that I have invested in fishing gear today is absolutely insane, I'm willing to admit that but it's my passion. There are still some great deals to be had with a little bit of research.
In the GTA, a great way to save some money, buy some awesome used equipment and other's excess tackle inventory (Yes, like mine's) is to attend the 1st annual North GTA Tackle Swap. Here are the details:

2014 North GTA Tackle Swap Details
Date: Sunday April 6, 2014
Time: Set-up 7:30 AM Doors Open from 8:30 AM -1:00 PM
20 Starview Ln, North York, ON M9M 3B2
Table Costs: Individuals - $20 each Companies - $50 each
Tables (8’ X4’) are limited, First Come First Serve
Admission Costs: Inaugural Year – Free Admission with a Food Bank donation
Info Contact: Tackle Swap Hotline – 416-993-3477
e-mail – tackleswap@ngtaba.com
Find all posts by this user
03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Hey Dave, never been to a tackle swap. Do I need a table in order to be able to swap?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-24-2014, 09:38 PM
I could be interested in this too, I have some bits and pieces I could be persuaded to part with.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
03-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Been to a bunch of so-called "tackle swap meets"........... little swapping occurs (if any)............. think of them as a "cluster garage sale".

But that's not to say there aren't deals. Great place to get tackle at bargain prices - or find parts for that old reel.

I have heard of friends pooling their unwanted stuff and getting a single table to sell what they can to reduce costs and present a bigger stock to the patrons.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-26-2014, 02:00 PM
(03-24-2014 08:56 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  It’s called maturity and experience. It strengthens as you go forward.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I sure hope some people will get there eventually...Angel It's not always just about big fish and hot bites...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I still use a bamboo stick and string I find on shore. Home made hooks from broken shells.
Find all posts by this user