You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

line test considerations
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM
RE: line test considerations
(06-10-2013 12:53 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  A lot of the rookie mistake with a fish close to shore is to either keep the drag setting the same or tighten up the drag to keep the fish from running off again. Instead, you should lighten the drag pressure. When the fish is close to you, there is only a very short stretch of line between your rod tip and the fish. The rod is also likely pointed up so there is little bend left in the rod to cushion a sudden surge. With light lines, this is where most fish are broken off. With a lighter drag, it will allow the fish to run off without breaking your line, especially when the fish finally sees the net. The fish is already fairly tired (well you should have tired it out in deeper water in the first place), so even if it runs off, it will be a short distance.

I guess I am a rookie Smile This weekend when I was reeling in a largish channels cat (my guess is 6-8 lbs) from a high ledge (6ft) as I got this fish to the shore I let down my guard, the line held, the leader held, I had not loosened drag and before I new it I unconsciously raised the rod tip, the fish trashed and the rod snapped... Shame I was beginning to like that rod. I needed to keep the rod tip down.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
(06-10-2013 01:39 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 12:53 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  A lot of the rookie mistake with a fish close to shore is to either keep the drag setting the same or tighten up the drag to keep the fish from running off again. Instead, you should lighten the drag pressure. When the fish is close to you, there is only a very short stretch of line between your rod tip and the fish. The rod is also likely pointed up so there is little bend left in the rod to cushion a sudden surge. With light lines, this is where most fish are broken off. With a lighter drag, it will allow the fish to run off without breaking your line, especially when the fish finally sees the net. The fish is already fairly tired (well you should have tired it out in deeper water in the first place), so even if it runs off, it will be a short distance.

I guess I am a rookie Smile This weekend when I was reeling in a largish channels cat (my guess is 6-8 lbs) from a high ledge (6ft) as I got this fish to the shore I let down my guard, the line held, the leader held, I had not loosened drag and before I new it I unconsciously raised the rod tip, the fish trashed and the rod snapped... Shame I was beginning to like that rod. I needed to keep the rod tip down.

Sorry to hear your rod snapped. This is also an argument for light line sometimes, so the line would snap before the rod does.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
(06-10-2013 01:39 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  This weekend when I was reeling in a largish channels cat (my guess is 6-8 lbs) from a high ledge (6ft) as I got this fish to the shore I let down my guard, the line held, the leader held, I had not loosened drag and before I new it I unconsciously raised the rod tip, the fish trashed and the rod snapped... Shame I was beginning to like that rod. I needed to keep the rod tip down.

That's too bad.

I bought a cheap heavy Shimano FX S-90MHB2 - in the 9' size for heavy cat fishing. happy so far - it wup'd a 12 pounder no problem........ and if it breaks - so what at $19.99. Comes in 8' as well if 9' is too much rod for you.

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-FX-Spinni.../#desc-tab

I figure it'll be good in the surf too. I rig 12 pound or 17 pound on it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
(06-10-2013 03:22 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  That's too bad.

I bought a cheap heavy Shimano FX S-90MHB2 - in the 9' size for heavy cat fishing. happy so far - it wup'd a 12 pounder no problem........ and if it breaks - so what at $19.99. Comes in 8' as well if 9' is too much rod for you.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Glass blanks are so very forgiving...you can almost run a car over it and it can survive...almost indestructible...almost...

The reason UglyStiks last so long is the fiberglass and graphite composite design, making one very tough rod yet a bit lighter.

Only thing with glass blank is the weight...better eat some spinach.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
(06-10-2013 03:33 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  

Cheers,

OldTimer

Glass blanks are so very forgiving...you can almost run a car over it and it can survive...almost indestructible...almost...

The reason UglyStiks last so long is the fiberglass and graphite composite design, making one very tough rod yet a bit lighter.

Only thing with glass blank is the weight...better eat some spinach.

I love the old Ugly Stiks. I've never broken one, and have, and use my fathers that I bought him in the 80's - it's on its fourth tip top.

The new "Lite" ones are okay, but actually the old 7 footers cast better in my style.

Remember (or have you seen...smile) the real old foggy white SOLID fibreglass bait casting rods, with the metal ferrules, cast zinc handle and cork grip. Now those are INDESTRUCTABLE - I still have several from my childhood. I use them trolling ever now and then for a nostalgic treat rigged with old "no drag" clicker bait caster reels and vintage black braided line............ a hoot!

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
06-10-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 04:10 PM by MuskieBait.)
(06-10-2013 03:47 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I love the old Ugly Stiks. I've never broken one, and have, and use my fathers that I bought him in the 80's - it's on its fourth tip top.

The new "Lite" ones are okay, but actually the old 7 footers cast better in my style.

Remember (or have you seen...smile) the real old foggy white SOLID fibreglass bait casting rods, with the metal ferrules, cast zinc handle and cork grip. Now those are INDESTRUCTABLE - I still have several from my childhood. I use them trolling ever now and then for a nostalgic treat rigged with old "no drag" clicker bait caster reels and vintage black braided line............ a hoot!

Cheers,

OldTimer

Casting technique is slightly different with the older rods due to higher percentage of fiberglass so the rod is slower (more mid action). The new "Lite" series is supposed to have more graphite which makes the rod faster (more tip action). I've checked out both at BPS and I have a 7' MH Big Water.

I've seen the white UglyStik once on a party boat. Real old school looks. Smile

Oh...and solid fiberglass blanks are the ones you can run over with a car...I would not suggest to try that with a hollow glass blank. Tongue I had a Daiwa Beefstick that was solid E-glass...that thing was heavy but it could probably lift a car...

Malama o ke kai

06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Hatchback or sedan?

..............smile

Cheers

OT

See you on the river.
06-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Cool, thanks.... This maybe a bit much for Ottawa Cats but I have been looking for a rod that can through a nice size weight at a lure to help with the Musky hunt. Maybe it will get double duty.

Next time Basspro has free shipping I'll order it (unless they have it at LeBaron)
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 03:35 PM
This rod would not be good for endless casting.......... it's a "chuck some big bait out and put it in a holder" rod..................... It has a very stiff action at the top.

See you on the river.
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
This guy in the UK landed 108lb catfish on 8lb line and a size 12 hook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nor...e-22872803

Took TWO carps nets to lift it out of the water though.....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com