You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New in Markham
06-19-2016, 04:27 PM
New in Markham
Hi all,

New to the forum and somewhat new to fishing. I haven't gone since I was a kid and now I've decided to pick it back up. Went to Jackson's point yesterday and caught some decent perch.

Hoping to learn more about the sport here!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: New in Markham
Welcome Benito!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Welcome to OSF Benito.

You'll find lots to read/learn posted here.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Good work at Jackon's Point! It isn't always easy to get some decent perch off the shore.
06-22-2016, 04:27 PM
If you go to Bonnie Boats in Jackson's Point and fish on down Marlone street you can access all 4 wave breakers by swimming to them. They are very close to the shore. The breaker furthest to the left is knee deep in height. The one to the right of it is about 7-8ft deep so you will get the body wet unless you want to (never tried) throw some rope over onto a rock and slide across the rope to the breaker.

Welcome to the forum. If you are heading up next time can you also keep an eye out for parking spots around any waterways and report back? Free parking spots would help alot. Wink
06-23-2016, 09:18 AM
(06-22-2016 04:27 PM)Aquaneko Wrote:  If you go to Bonnie Boats in Jackson's Point and fish on down Marlone street you can access all 4 wave breakers by swimming to them. They are very close to the shore. The breaker furthest to the left is knee deep in height. The one to the right of it is about 7-8ft deep so you will get the body wet unless you want to (never tried) throw some rope over onto a rock and slide across the rope to the breaker.

Welcome to the forum. If you are heading up next time can you also keep an eye out for parking spots around any waterways and report back? Free parking spots would help alot. Wink

Hi

Actually the next time I go (probably this weekend) I want to try the wave breaker to the left. Since I can walk over do you think I can walk over barefeet or what types of shoes would you recommend if i wanted to walk over?

In terms of parking i'll keep an eye out but for the time being i go down a bit to the main marine and pay for parking from 6-9 it is $4

Thanks
06-25-2016, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2016 12:52 PM by Aquaneko.)
(06-23-2016 09:18 AM)Benito Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 04:27 PM)Aquaneko Wrote:  If you go to Bonnie Boats in Jackson's Point and fish on down Marlone street you can access all 4 wave breakers by swimming to them. They are very close to the shore. The breaker furthest to the left is knee deep in height. The one to the right of it is about 7-8ft deep so you will get the body wet unless you want to (never tried) throw some rope over onto a rock and slide across the rope to the breaker.

Hi

Actually the next time I go (probably this weekend) I want to try the wave breaker to the left. Since I can walk over do you think I can walk over barefeet or what types of shoes would you recommend if i wanted to walk over?

In terms of parking i'll keep an eye out but for the time being i go down a bit to the main marine and pay for parking from 6-9 it is $4

Thanks

I highly recommend wearing water shoes if walking or going to any of the breakers. I was there this past Thursday and forgot my water shoes for the first time and tried crossing but turned back quarter way into the water.

At first I thought I could make it but the pebbles pressed hard against the ball of your feet making each step harder and harder to advance forward. Normally with water shoes I would still be careful walking but when bare foot you become more of things that with some protection on the feet you would not. I also had a double sprained ankle a few months ago only to learn from the doctor I had rather flat feet and that those with flat feet are more prone to injuries if not careful. There is broken glass bottles along the sandy shore which has me worried about some glass in the water along with fishing hooks. Also the rocks on the lower breakers are covered in algae which make it highly slippery and if you slip and get your foot stuck in a rock crack your day is done.

I also learned a Thursday ago (not this Thursday which I was here but also week ago this Thursday as I have been here 3times this year) when fishing Old Mill (near Scotia Bank) while talking to a retired local gentleman he informed me that there are zebra mussels in those breakers and they will cut you up good if not careful and also to be careful climbing as he witnessed a guy with a backpack full of kit and carrying a cooler slip and do a 180 right on his back because of how slippery the rocks are. Ouchie.

I got a pair of water shoes at Walmart years ago for IIRC $8.00 which had an aggressive treading and a removable thin but soft insole. Very light weight for that pretty much single use for water crossings. But this past Thursday while fishing there I decided to check out what the Giant Tiger had to offer. To my surprise the Giant Tiger has knock off Buffs in the ladies section but with some guy friendly colors. But mostly ladies colors and it cost $5.00 vs the like $25.00 for a Buff. I got one of those being they were there and I was already sunburned around 14:00ish. The sanndel selection is good for guys and even better for ladies from water shoes to crocs to typical flip-flops I and --- styles (over the toes or between bigtoe and second toe). I got a pair of I style flip-flops for $12.00

Also ladies there is a lot of selection if you wanted to get an outfit or two and accessories. For the guys there is Dickie's as well as shorts and short sleeves but about 1/3 the selection the ladies have for shopping space. On the way out I did notice bagged ice was $2.97/bag.

Last thing to note if you go on the weekend I recommend paying for parking if you are going out onto the breakers unless you have someone that can move your car for you close by the parking officers make their money on the weekends if you do not see them coming. Trust me, I know as I just paid a ticket. The locals tell me if boating or on the breakers on the weekends just pay the parking but during the weekdays they hardly come to check on the lot. I have noticed that as well as all day during the weekdays especially early weekday the risk is lowest.

On the weekends the officers come around 13:00-14:00 (my ticket was 13:26) and I logged down a return at around 18:00. No early risers around 7:00 or late nighters till 23:30 that I have noticed and from the chatting feedback with locals and other fishing people seems they come twice a day around those times on busy days. Tho the officers are not as aggressive as the parking officers downtown Toronto. What I mean is they the guy that was back for the 18:00 round saw me moving some stuff to the car and did not walk over. Now is this was downtown Toronto the parking officer would have been fast on the ticket writing before standing by your car or I have heard of one taking a photo of the car as the driver was leaving to write a ticket.

The parking officers here are chill/relax but can also be firm.while chill. Case in point, last year during licence free fishing week a parking officer I spoke with who I found out also fishes was just going his job but was very relaxed but firm on getting a parking ticket. He said to leave the fishing gear here if you plan on staying and just go pay for a ticket and come back. This would not happen downtown Toronto for sure. You would have gotten a ticket even if you were going to buy a ticket. Those green hornet's Angry. This guy was cool. Cool

I mean if you are lucky enough to go on a Monday that is not a holiday save that $4.00 to $20.00 any buy a pizza or groceries locally.

Price range on those sandels is around $12.00-25.00ish as I remember looking at the pricings. Cheaper of you buy from Walmart which there is one on Hoover Road (or was it drive) in Stouffville on Hwy 48. There is also a Canadian tire there as well. Both locations are well stocked with fishing gear. Pickeral rigs are $1.00 at Wally's along with a lot of 2" assorted twister tail soft plastics for $1.00 .
06-25-2016, 02:10 PM
I just use an old messed pair of sneakers to wet wade. Work great - price is right too. $0.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...wet+wading

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.