You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

swivel considerations
07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
RE: swivel considerations
(07-03-2013 02:01 PM)Sailor Joe Wrote:  Since I fish saltwater consistently, all I ever carry are these: http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?P...SHSB%2DALL

Picture is not to scale. These swivels are quite small. And for whatever reason, fish sometimes go after the swivel instead of the hook. Not sure why that is...

That's really interesting. It looks like a "wind on" swivel. I would never crank one of these through the guides, but my top-of-mind thought when I first saw these was that a fish might perceive it as something your lure was chasing. That would fit with your observation.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2013, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 08:23 PM by Sailor Joe.)
(07-03-2013 04:08 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I never like the idea of wind on swivels...a piece of metal on a line under pressure going through the guides on a bend rod...sounds like damage guide to me...unless you are using roller guides...

Even a big knot tied with 60lb mono can rip out guide inserts (nevermind cracking them) on the cast. My Hawaiian friends who cast 8-12oz weight on 60-80lb mono using big conventional reels like Penn 6/0 will not fish with rods that has guide inserts. They prefer simple stainless steel guides instead. Too many guide inserts had popped out and cracked for them in the past.

I can just imagine what a wind on metal swivel can do.

Never had problems with them. I only put them 2 to 3 feet up from the hook and never run them through the guides. They don't seem to spook the fish. Just the opposite. But most times I don't use a swivel. Just several feet of floro to braid with an Albright knot. The braid can take the twist.
(07-03-2013 07:40 PM)alcom Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 02:01 PM)Sailor Joe Wrote:  Since I fish saltwater consistently, all I ever carry are these: http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?P...SHSB%2DALL

Picture is not to scale. These swivels are quite small. And for whatever reason, fish sometimes go after the swivel instead of the hook. Not sure why that is...

That's really interesting. It looks like a "wind on" swivel. I would never crank one of these through the guides, but my top-of-mind thought when I first saw these was that a fish might perceive it as something your lure was chasing. That would fit with your observation.

It's weird, I know.
07-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Always used the simple brass from bps, don't have any complaints!