Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Identification Help Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you're unsure of what species of fish you've caught, feel free to post the picture(s) here for a helping hand.
(02-27-2014 04:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Hey MA,

The upload & attaching of pictures function is not working in this subdirectory.

OT

OK should be working now. If anybody else has an issue, please PM me right away. I remember we had issues with permissions resetting last year.
Potential Atlantic salmon caught on Lake Ontario:

[Image: IMG_7614.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7554.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7602.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7604.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7605.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7601.jpg]
Yep, as I thought...Atlantic Salmon...

1) body more streamlined, longer than it is thick

2) smaller head compared to overall body length

3) narrow caudal peduncle

4) corner of the mouth does not pass the eye

5) forked tail

6) no spots on tail

7) few spots on gill plate and head region

8) "X" shaped spots on the body

9) few to no spots below the lateral line

10) more triangular shaped anal fin with rear edge that is slightly forward slanted to almost vertical

Congrats!

So...an Atlantics from the stocking program...wish we see more of them...
(04-04-2014 01:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Darn............. I wanted to be first...........smile.

You won't be the first either way...since I was ID'ing the fish for Michael as he had it in the net beside the kayak. TongueBig Grin

I joked while on the phone with him...

"You know...you are technically on Lake Ontario...and the season for Atlantic Salmon is open all year...you can technically keep it...but that's wrong...because you'll be spoiling the restoration effort." RolleyesTongue

I seriously hoped that the fish was released in good condition so it can make more Atlantic babies. I would really, really, really love to see Atlantics return to Lake Ontario...despite how remote a chance they have in reestablishing in the lake. Never say never.

It's also disgusting that I know all the ID features by heart...since I've lost a suspected Atlantic a few years ago in the fall...and ever since I've been keeping an eye out for another chance...
Oops...not sure what happened there. How did I delete a few post in a row with one click?!?!
(04-04-2014 01:18 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2014 01:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Darn............. I wanted to be first...........smile.

You won't be the first either way...since I was ID'ing the fish for Michael as he had it in the net beside the kayak. TongueBig Grin

I joked while on the phone with him...

"You know...you are technically on Lake Ontario...and the season for Atlantic Salmon is open all year...you can technically keep it...but that's wrong...because you'll be spoiling the restoration effort." RolleyesTongue

I seriously hoped that the fish was released in good condition so it can make more Atlantic babies. I would really, really, really love to see Atlantics return to Lake Ontario...despite how remote a chance they have in reestablishing in the lake. Never say never.

It's also disgusting that I know all the ID features by heart...since I've lost a suspected Atlantic a few years ago in the fall...and ever since I've been keeping an eye out for another chance...

Yeah I called Ken right up when I suspected it to be an Atlantic.

The fish was released of course. Although I did show some interest in keeping it when I told Ken "I wonder if they're tasty" LOL he didn't quite like that remark Wink.
Darn......... I wanted to be first ................. smile.................to post an Atlantic Salmon legal catch on OSF.

Seems debate = delete.

OT
(04-04-2014 02:10 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Darn......... I wanted to be first ................. smile.................to post an Atlantic Salmon legal catch on OSF.

Seems debate = delete.

OT

Well boys, it is NOT a legal catch after all. Perhaps it is more legal than a stream-caught one where it is completely "closed" but it is not 100% legal.

Regs say they need to be over 24.8 inches.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...001339.pdf

Edit: Ken still has mod privs on this board from being the contest mod last year. Ken quit abusing your power! Tongue That reminds me I need to transfer it over to Giuga10.

OT unfortunately I cannot recover the deleted posts as there was no forum back-up from the past 30 minutes. I didn't study the zone maps you posted well-enough, but it seems that you were arguing that Zone 20 can be reached from shore in certain places?

Thommy Thompson Park is one example of where Zone 20 can be fished by shore anglers.
(04-04-2014 02:39 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2014 02:10 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Darn......... I wanted to be first ................. smile.................to post an Atlantic Salmon legal catch on OSF.

Seems debate = delete.

OT

Well boys, it is NOT a legal catch after all. Perhaps it is more legal than a stream-caught one where it is completely "closed" but it is not 100% legal.

Regs say they need to be over 24.8 inches.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...001339.pdf

Edit: Ken still has mod privs on this board from being the contest mod last year. Ken quit abusing your power! Tongue That reminds me I need to transfer it over to Giuga10.

OT unfortunately I cannot recover the deleted posts as there was no forum back-up from the past 30 minutes. I didn't study the zone maps you posted well-enough, but it seems that you were arguing that Zone 20 can be reached from shore in certain places?

Thommy Thompson Park is one example of where Zone 20 can be fished by shore anglers.

No worries.

I forgot about the size limit....... that really is too bad. But even still you hooked one more than most of us, and now know what it liked, what colour, how deep and how fast............. please share.

Well perhaps I still have a chance................ grin........... while shore fishing Zone 20 while standing on Zone 16 terra firma.

i.e Port Dalhousie, Lower Niagara River, Hamilton Harbour up Desjardin to railway bridge, every outer edge of every pier.........etc, etc, etc.

Same deal on all great lakes...... ie. Port Maitland, Owen Sound Grain pier and the harbour walls, Big Bay Pier near Wiarton, Port Dover, Port Burwell, Port Bruce, Port Rowan....................etc etc etc

Check it out:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...41482.html

On the maps - Dig the term WE (waters edge). Ya don't catch many fish in dirt.

Please don't delete this post - took a while to type............. big smile and a wink.

Cheers,

OldTimer

edit: here's the pic re Atlantic Salmon ID - from one of my deleted post - (might help someone):

[attachment=791]

OT
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's