Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fish Identification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here’s a wee article I patched together in hopes of helping others to easily identify what fish they’ve caught. I have found that a lot of the stuff out there is lacking, or way too technical or verbose.

Emphasis was placed on being clear, simple, to the point, and not overly descriptive – just the key characteristics and a couple of colour pictures of each fish… without having to count fin spines, or perform a dissection.

[attachment=221]

This article is limited to those fish which should represent those the average Ontario anglers might see in their adventures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

EDIT AUGUST 9 2015 - see farther down the thread for REV 1 of this pdf - has lots more pics and fish........Cheers.......OldTimer
Spectacular work OldTimer! This is fantastic!! Big Grin

I'm going through it as we speak, it's super helpful. Big Grin
I was doing some reading on distinguishing various suckers and redhorses, it's still confusing to me but this might help some:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ATYnjnKa...ne&f=false
Here's a great pamphlet for Lake Ontario salmon and trout identification............. put out by Sea Grant in New York.

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/glsportfi...io2012.pdf
Great work OldTimer by far the best identification sheet I've seen. Very very helpful.

Thanks,
Guiga10
Hm...a certain bowfin looks really familiar on this ID document...it's almost like I've met the fish somewhere in the past Tongue
Cool Huh?

See MA for the yer cut of any royalties.....or was it his pic?....smile

OT
Definitely my pic...and I'll definitely go after him for my cut of royalties.

He can pay me in burbot...I demand 5lb of "poor man's lobster". Tongue
(07-31-2012 03:25 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Here’s a wee article I patched together in hopes of helping others to easily identify what fish they’ve caught. I have found that a lot of the stuff out there is lacking, or way too technical or verbose.

Emphasis was placed on being clear, simple, to the point, and not overly descriptive – just the key characteristics and a couple of colour pictures of each fish… without having to count fin spines, or perform a dissection.

This article is limited to those fish which should represent those the average Ontario anglers might see in their adventures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Very useful, thanks.
(03-26-2013 06:52 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely my pic...and I'll definitely go after him for my cut of royalties.

He can pay me in burbot...I demand 5lb of "poor man's lobster". Tongue

And I could have provided if I had read this two weeks ago Tongue. Thankfully for the burbot's sake, I did not.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's