Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hello from Markham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-06-2013 05:53 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]The best tool for an angler is Google maps, type in your current address and search around the are, if you see water GO FISH Big Grin. These stormwater ponds do contain fish.

My fear is there are areas that are off-limits and I am clueless as to where I can or can't fish.
(03-07-2013 10:05 AM)Freshwater Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2013 05:53 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]The best tool for an angler is Google maps, type in your current address and search around the are, if you see water GO FISH Big Grin. These stormwater ponds do contain fish.

My fear is there are areas that are off-limits and I am clueless as to where I can or can't fish.

It's pretty easy to tell if a pond is off limits, it will either have signs or it will be a privately owned property which is pretty easy to tell the difference, a private one will most likely have a house or barn ect... and will have clear signs of being owned like tools and other misc items around the area. And if it is one of the stormwater ponds around neighborhoods the are ok to fish.
(03-07-2013 04:22 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2013 10:05 AM)Freshwater Wrote: [ -> ]

It's pretty easy to tell if a pond is off limits, it will either have signs or it will be a privately owned property which is pretty easy to tell the difference, a private one will most likely have a house or barn ect... and will have clear signs of being owned like tools and other misc items around the area. And if it is one of the stormwater ponds around neighborhoods the are ok to fish.

Private property may also have little coloured ribbons tied to the tree branches or tree trunk to make property line...in case there is a pond in an apparently empty field that actually belongs to someone's property.

Property line may also be marked by painted wooden stakes...sometimes only the tip of the stake is painted...usually in a highly visible colour.
The thing about fishing these small storm ponds (I consider mount joy and swan lake storm ponds) is that you get funny looks from people walking by, surprised that anyone would even waste time fishing in a small local pond. That's why I try to bring one or both of my kids to come along, so I don't look like a serious angler.
(03-08-2013 11:33 PM)angler1 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing about fishing these small storm ponds (I consider mount joy and swan lake storm ponds) is that you get funny looks from people walking by, surprised that anyone would even waste time fishing in a small local pond. That's why I try to bring one or both of my kids to come along, so I don't look like a serious angler.

Let people look...who cares what others think about you.

I love getting the looks...and then you hook up big time and land a 15lb carp in front of them...and then everyone freaks out and wants to take pictures of you or with your fish. Kooky people Big Grin
(03-08-2013 11:33 PM)angler1 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing about fishing these small storm ponds (I consider mount joy and swan lake storm ponds) is that you get funny looks from people walking by, surprised that anyone would even waste time fishing in a small local pond. That's why I try to bring one or both of my kids to come along, so I don't look like a serious angler.

I heard that Swan Lake is now also a non-fishing spot. Sad
(03-09-2013 12:28 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]

Let people look...who cares what others think about you.

I love getting the looks...and then you hook up big time and land a 15lb carp in front of them...and then everyone freaks out and wants to take pictures of you or with your fish. Kooky people Big Grin

I have never caught a carp yet - I heard they provide a really good fight!
Pictures with kooky people, yeah Big Grin Make sure to present the best smile Tongue
(03-11-2013 08:24 AM)Freshwater Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that Swan Lake is now also a non-fishing spot. Sad

It used to be but since late summer of last year they re-opened it.
(03-11-2013 10:38 AM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2013 08:24 AM)Freshwater Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that Swan Lake is now also a non-fishing spot. Sad

It used to be but since late summer of last year they re-opened it.

I found your 'good news' post about the un-banning :-)
Can't wait for the season to open :-)

How's the parking around Swan Lake and Mount Joy?
(03-11-2013 02:49 PM)Freshwater Wrote: [ -> ]I found your 'good news' post about the un-banning :-)
Can't wait for the season to open :-)

How's the parking around Swan Lake and Mount Joy?

The parking at Swan Lake is a bit difficult because you have to find one of the side streets that are right beside Swan Lake since the parking lot is for residents only.

For Mount Joy there are several parking lots right beside it so there is not trouble finding parking there.
(03-11-2013 03:34 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]The parking at Swan Lake is a bit difficult because you have to find one of the side streets that are right beside Swan Lake since the parking lot is for residents only.
I always park at the building site office parking lot, next to the dock on the south side. There's room for several cars. I've never been challenged there. Hope the fishing is better, this year.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's