Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Humber River Suckers????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
after reading about the Dundas Sucker Tournament i wondered if and when the Humber or Don Rivers would have their sucker runs?
everytime i am crossing the Don or riding beside it i have looked for signs...have i missed them? have the runs come and gone? or are the runs about to begin? i have not seen carp in the ussual areas eigther.
Hoping this weekend is the game changer....on the look for bowfin too but its gonna be the third week in April this year i think.
(04-03-2013 09:55 PM)tangledline Wrote: [ -> ]after reading about the Dundas Sucker Tournament i wondered if and when the Humber or Don Rivers would have their sucker runs?
everytime i am crossing the Don or riding beside it i have looked for signs...have i missed them? have the runs come and gone? or are the runs about to begin? i have not seen carp in the ussual areas eigther.
Hoping this weekend is the game changer....on the look for bowfin too but its gonna be the third week in April this year i think.

Suckers have started already, but Carp spawn later when the temps are warmer.
(04-03-2013 09:55 PM)tangledline Wrote: [ -> ]after reading about the Dundas Sucker Tournament i wondered if and when the Humber or Don Rivers would have their sucker runs?

I'm hitting the Humber south of Eglington this Saturday. Will let you know. Cross fingers. I hope the Steelhead are still there too.
How do you fish for suckers?
(04-04-2013 10:09 AM)Enzo Wrote: [ -> ]How do you fish for suckers?

I've had success with sliding bottom rigs. I've more then several times caught suckers accidentally on drop shot or vertical rigs. All with chunky nightcrawlers.
I think this vedio helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaKEVHcqpE
(04-04-2013 10:09 AM)Enzo Wrote: [ -> ]How do you fish for suckers?
I target spring suckers using half worms and "the old two split shot plus a number 4 to 8 hook rig" we all grew up using as kids.................... or small silver Mepps (#0 or #1).

Tumble / work either along the bottom slowly in pools............ or in the deep slower current breaks below riffles or behind obstructions.
Fish for suckers like you would for steelheads. When suckers and steelheads are running in the spring, I would catch both of them from the same area.

Any baits or lures that work for steelhead will also catch suckers. I've caught them on pink worms and nymph flies while fishing for steelhead. Later in the spring, when the steelhead number dwindles, the suckers can provide some rod bending fun just as well.

** Here's a freebie tip for the newbies. When I was learning to fish for steelheads, my mentors often tell me to learn to catch suckers first. Once you learn how to catch suckers, you'll find steelheads. They use the same structures as resting areas and they will hit the same bait/lures. If your presentation is good enough for suckers, you'll catch some steelheads doing the same thing. Wink
Suckers are a lot of fun. I haven't found any yet... but I found something even more fun today (see my thread). Just a split shot and a small hook #8 or #10 works. Last year I caught them just dead sticking my worm on the bottom of pools. Just letting it sit until my rod started getting pulled.
(04-04-2013 08:50 AM)Sailor Joe Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm hitting the Humber south of Eglington this Saturday. Will let you know. Cross fingers. I hope the Steelhead are still there too.

Nothing in the Humber today. Nor Steelhead nor Suckers. But plenty of skunked anglers. Hords of them and no one caught a thing. I maybe caught a bit of frostbite on my hands; that's about all.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's