You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week (/Thread-Grass-Carp-caught-in-Grand-River-this-week)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - OldTimer - 05-08-2013 03:54 PM

Correction - it is some of the people of that faith............ again we should not instantly lump all such individuals into being criminals..............like come on guys!

I have friends of that faith that do not participate in that ceremony - and they are first generation here - and whom are upstanding good and proper sportsmen and conservationists. And dam good anglers to boot.

But those Tibetans...............smile.............kidding..............

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - MuskieBait - 05-11-2013 03:38 PM

I never said all of them...I have friends of all faiths and ethnic background who are great law abiding citizens.

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - OldTimer - 05-11-2013 03:42 PM

wasnt pointed at you MB

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - alcom - 06-11-2013 10:25 PM

(05-07-2013 04:16 PM)onwind Wrote:  Yes, In China, we have the tradition of releasing live fishes.
1. We believe that you save the fish's life by releasing it otherwise it will be eaten. in return the god will help you especially when your family members have a disease or bad luck.
2. There are a lot of fairy tales in China about a kind young man bought a fish(especially a golden carp) or a big river snail from a fisherman or retailer and released it. which turned out it's the son or daughter of a dragon king. and in return he got a lot of treasure and help even a wife from the dragon king.
We used to have no idea the fishes can be an invasive species in different water bodies, We just did it by ignorance. but things are getting better now, as people begin to know the knowledge, they tend to stop doing it. so what they need is education, not criticism.

If this is a cultural practice and an education issue, the ethnic media would definitely be interested in covering it.

Identify sources representing all facets of the issue and suggest to MNR that they start a conversation with the ethnic media. Intelligent conversation can do wonders to resolve issues.

MNR has senior media relations officers who need to limit their contact to journalists, but you can get the ball rolling through MNR's public contact process:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/ContactUs/
Explain the situation and send them the link to this post.

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - flyguy - 06-12-2013 02:38 PM

while you are at it maybe the coconuts,pottery and flowers can be thrown elsewhere. instead of in the rivers.

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - angler1 - 06-13-2013 08:31 AM

(06-12-2013 02:38 PM)flyguy Wrote:  while you are at it maybe the, [b]coconuts[,/b] pottery and flowers can be thrown elsewhere. instead of in the rivers.

I have noticed coconut shells, sometimes, on shore, near bodies of water and just assumed that some people like to snack of them while fishing. It never occurred to me that it was party of a ritual.

RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week - flyguy - 06-13-2013 03:19 PM

yup certain religions will show up at the river with white mackeup on--with urns, pottery, flowers and fruits coconuts etc...do their thing and toss it all in the water--glad this makes them closer to their god but the garbage dump at the river mouth isn't gonna be to fun to clean up yearly...