You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Possible Fishing Ban at Grenadier Pond
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 12:50 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Possible Fishing Ban at Grenadier Pond
(02-20-2013 12:27 PM)Sailor Joe Wrote:  You and I get the law and understand it. But poachers don't care. That's why I support aggressive patrolling. Currently the issue is that there is none at High Park and as such we have bans being contemplated.

You can still have active and aggressive patrolling without having the presence of the CO seen.

In my mind, it worked even better if the CO came out stealthy to check people, instead of constantly walking around.

The "threat" of getting check is often effective enough to deter violations. Random checks can do that.

The reality is that there are too few COs and their patrol range are too large for them to be "stationed" at High Park every day, every hour. High Park, to be honest, is a very small resource out of the larger scope of all the fishable waters of Ontario. To be honest, I would not want them to spend the one and only CO in this area just focused on High Park...because there are so many fishable waters simply in the City of Toronto. I would much rather have community effort to educate and help report violators than to have a CO stations there.

(02-20-2013 11:53 AM)Sailor Joe Wrote:  How do you suppose binoculars are going to detect a fake or expired outdoors card from afar on a poacher? My eyes are not that good. If you are able to actually read the expiry date on the card or notice a fake card then I have to hand it to you, you are awesome!

As an aside, the outdoor card is just another "tax" or "license" for the use of resource as a way to regulate the use of that resource. I find it ridiculous to have a new card renewal every 3 years...and have to waste plastic for this "fee" to use the resource.

In practicality, they can just divide up the cost of the outdoors card and add that onto the price of the existing license.

But of course, it's difficult to say "we're increasing the cost of license from $12 to $15"...instead, they use a political move to introduce the outdoors card so that you get this "card" before you can get your license...

But in environmental economic sense, and to the coffers of the MNR, the outdoor card is just another way to add a "license fee" that adds revenue to the operations of MNR.

So after all of this, what I really want to say is that you can really just get rid of the outdoors card and not have to worry about checking the expiry date of that card at all, then roll the additional cost of the card onto the license fee (increase license fee), and just print out a new annual license on different colour papers every year. Now you can patrol and observe from afar without worrying about the eyesight of the CO's.

Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Fishing Ban at Grenadier Pond - MuskieBait - 02-20-2013 12:34 PM