You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slot limits and fish dehydration
02-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Slot limits and fish dehydration
Hey,

Saw this being discussed elsewhere:

A fish gets taken.......it is just longer than the lower slot dimension....... its kept, bled and thrown on ice......... a game warden shows up and measures it - but now it's just under the slot and an illegal catch.......................

I've never really paid attention to this, but I can see that it might actually happen.

Have you seen such?

Think I'll pay attention this season, take some measurements, and see if it is possible or just BS.

Such shrinkage could possibly create a problem within the zones having walleye slot limits here in Ontario.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: Slot limits and fish dehydration
Yes, it happens. Not sure if it is the loss of fluid or not though. Muscle contraction after death could also cause the fish to lose length...especially when the fish is chilled on ice.

"Rigor mortis is very important in meat technology. The onset of rigor mortis and its resolution partially determines the tenderness of meat. If the postslaughter meat is immediately chilled to 15°C (59°F), a phenomenon known as cold shortening occurs, where the muscle sarcomeres shrink to a third of their original length.
Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the cold stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction aided by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known as electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef carcasses, immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the carcass is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract and relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and prevents cold shortening."

Give yourself and extra inch and you should not have to worry.

If there is some kind of size limit, I always release fish that are marginal.

Also remember that sometimes measure tape could shrink over time. What appears OK on your tape may not be OK on the CO's tape...and at the end of the day, it is your responsibility to make sure the fish is not undersized.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-21-2014, 08:24 PM
The cells that make up the body of a fish are mostly water (just like our cells)..and water expands when it freezes. So, I would think that a fish left to freeze on the ice would actually expand...?
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Cool Ken, next time I fish for walleye through the ice I'll zap 'em with my fish finder battery Tongue!

[Image: logobgs.png]