You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Algonquin Park Cottage Property Lease Expiry
02-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Algonquin Park Cottage Property Lease Expiry
Hey,

Here’s a current event topic of interest to Ontario anglers.

326 cottage property leases WITHIN Algonquin Park are ALL up for a 21 year renewal in 2017.

Some of these leases have been around for almost a century.

IMHO – ending the leases now corrects past mistakes and can only lead to improvement. The owners association there claims “minimal impact” from their presence………….OK – but this is still positive impact, not zero impact. And, yes – it is most likely quite upsetting to the 326 owners to be asked to vacate in a few years, …………however the other 13.51 million Ontario residents and their off spring should be considered.

If leases are extended – why aren’t the 13.51 million of the rest us offered one?.. … but I do suppose that there wouldn’t be much park left if we all got one….. grin

The original lease owners (many decades ago and now deceased) knew quite well that the leases had an expiry date – plus the price was probably a pittance - both then and now, …… a deal is a deal - from start to finish.

This is not a cancellation – it was contractually agreed expiry approved by BOTH parties.

This move makes sense to me in all regards. …………. Here’s your hat, what’s your hurry…………..so long. Our great- grandchildren will thanks us for stopping this.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/438310...isk-study/

BTW – most likely Ontario citizens will have a chance to speak up regarding this over the next while as the last public consultation has expired (in 2012).

Whaddya think?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Algonquin Park Cottage Property Lease Expiry
I believe that the government should announce "a last time buy" and reclaim the property once and for all.
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I believe they should clearcut the whole thing, ship the logs to China, and lease the underlying bedrock for oil/gas exploration. You know, for our economy.
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
(02-25-2014 11:08 PM)Eli Wrote:  I believe they should clearcut the whole thing, ship the logs to China, and lease the underlying bedrock for oil/gas exploration. You know, for our economy.

BWAHAHAH

Creating jobs for Canadians.

Seriously, there is logging done in the park.

Makes no sense at all *throws arms up*

[Image: logobgs.png]
02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
(02-25-2014 11:22 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Seriously, there is logging done in the park.

Of course we have to log our protected areas. Don't you want your children to have JOBS AND GROWTH?!

Semiliterates cut down trees..trees sold to China..semiliterates buy trees back in the form of Walmart fiberboard furniture. It makes sense!!
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Algonquin is unique in Ontario logging-wise, I don't think there is logging in any other Ontario provincial park and certainly not in any of the feds' national parks. I think I can accept the logging more readily than the cottages. Reason being, the logging is part of a compromise that was agreed upon in creating the park, in order to satisfy local economic interests while at least being able to have the park, and park management plans have reduced loggable areas over time and kept logging away from ecologically and recreationally important features. Whereas the cottages, as Old Timer points out, were originally put on a lease with an expiry date, there was no agreement that the arrangement would continue in perpetuity. So accepting the logging is sort of "our" part of the bargain as park stakeholders (those of us who camp, canoe, or fish there), while we have no obligation towards the cottagers. These are just vague thoughts anyway, I'm sure I'd feel differently if my family had a cottage there...
02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
(02-26-2014 09:21 AM)Eli Wrote:  
(02-25-2014 11:22 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Seriously, there is logging done in the park.

Of course we have to log our protected areas. Don't you want your children to have JOBS AND GROWTH?!

Semiliterates cut down trees..trees sold to China..semiliterates buy trees back in the form of Walmart fiberboard furniture. It makes sense!!

LOL

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Cool...... do ya think they'd but some fire wood?........ yeehaaww!

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...d-fer-sale

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
(02-26-2014 11:12 AM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Algonquin is unique in Ontario logging-wise, I don't think there is logging in any other Ontario provincial park and certainly not in any of the feds' national parks. I think I can accept the logging more readily than the cottages. Reason being, the logging is part of a compromise that was agreed upon in creating the park, in order to satisfy local economic interests while at least being able to have the park, and park management plans have reduced loggable areas over time and kept logging away from ecologically and recreationally important features. Whereas the cottages, as Old Timer points out, were originally put on a lease with an expiry date, there was no agreement that the arrangement would continue in perpetuity. So accepting the logging is sort of "our" part of the bargain as park stakeholders (those of us who camp, canoe, or fish there), while we have no obligation towards the cottagers. These are just vague thoughts anyway, I'm sure I'd feel differently if my family had a cottage there...

The way I look at it is cottagers are harmless and have little to no impact on the park beyond their leased property.

The logging industry is crooked as all hell and has proved itself time and time again to have total disregard for anything other than the bottom line. Google 'Grassy Narrows logging'. Take a flight over a heavily logged area (mainland BC comes to mind). Then judge for yourself as to who should be booted from the park - cottagers or loggers.
02-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Well, it was the provincial government who approved the Grassy Narrows forest management plan, as well as the original permit for Dryden Chemicals to dump mercury in the river in the 60s, in spite of them being the ones ultimately responsible for environmental management and Aboriginal duty to consult... so maybe the Province should get out of the park?

Then it could be renamed from Algonquin Provincial Park to Algonquin No-man's Land, and rugged frontiersmen would be on their own to hack campsites out of the bush and staff the visitor centre.