You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anyone else experience this?
06-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Anyone else experience this?
So I was walking home from school yesterday and I noticed a guy fishing at the pond right beside my school. I like to stop in and say hi to the fellow anglers and see if they've had any luck. I decided to walk over and I said "Hi" and he said "hi" back. I asked if he had caught anything and he pointed over to a beautiful 4 lb Carp attached to a stringer Sad. I asked if he was eating it and he said "no" ... (well that's odd, you've got a fish locked up with no intention to eat it?) so I asked what he was doing with it. He rudely replied "it's none of your business" and that's when he got me angry. I quickly snapped back saying "well actually since you are fishing illegally with three rods in the water it's my right to report you" he told me he had been fishing for 35 years and I had no idea what I was talking about, he then told me to leave so I began walking away, and I pulled my phone out to grab a picture of all of his rods being used at the same time. He quickly began chasing me before I was able to get a picture. He began swearing very much, he told me to F**K Off and I simply replied, you'll be sorry when the ministry comes. I called up MNR and reported him and while in mid call the guy had enough balls to continue swearing at me, (mentioned that to the MNR too). I finished the call with the MNR and they told me they would call me back (they never did) so I assume they never did end up getting him Undecided.

Best part is, I saw this guy before fishing with three rods and I told him he couldn't. Now that I saw him again I decided not to let him off.

Anyone ever experience something like this before? Sad part is, this is a common occurrence in Markham around these local ponds Sad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 06:13 PM
RE: Anyone else experience this?
(06-05-2013 05:58 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  So I was walking home from school yesterday and I noticed a guy fishing at the pond right beside my school. I like to stop in and say hi to the fellow anglers and see if they've had any luck. I decided to walk over and I said "Hi" and he said "hi" back. I asked if he had caught anything and he pointed over to a beautiful 4 lb Carp attached to a stringer Sad. I asked if he was eating it and he said "no" ... (well that's odd, you've got a fish locked up with no intention to eat it?) so I asked what he was doing with it. He rudely replied "it's none of your business" and that's when he got me angry. I quickly snapped back saying "well actually since you are fishing illegally with three rods in the water it's my right to report you" he told me he had been fishing for 35 years and I had no idea what I was talking about, he then told me to leave so I began walking away, and I pulled my phone out to grab a picture of all of his rods being used at the same time. He quickly began chasing me before I was able to get a picture. He began swearing very much, he told me to F**K Off and I simply replied, you'll be sorry when the ministry comes. I called up MNR and reported him and while in mid call the guy had enough balls to continue swearing at me, (mentioned that to the MNR too). I finished the call with the MNR and they told me they would call me back (they never did) so I assume they never did end up getting him Undecided.

Best part is, I saw this guy before fishing with three rods and I told him he couldn't. Now that I saw him again I decided not to let him off.

Anyone ever experience something like this before? Sad part is, this is a common occurrence in Markham around these local ponds Sad.

Next time you see him, do not confront him. Rather, take a picture from afar, and call MNR. Give them your information and tell them you have taken picture as proof. If you report the same guy enough times, the MNR will eventually take action.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I agree with Ken, its great to get these poachers reports but rule number 1 is not to get in harms way.... Like I tell my nephews some of these jerks don't have as much to loose as you and willing to do some pretty stupid things sometimes!

Good on you for for calling MNR though.
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Was he Asian? Perhaps you should mind your own business? Personally, I think the multiple rod in the water rule is stupid, and probably meant to be enforced in larger, heavily fished lakes, not small, local storm ponds. Having said that, he was out of line chasing you. What was he going to do if he caught you? Hit you, take your phone? You should have called the police, not the MNR.
06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
(06-05-2013 10:11 PM)angler1 Wrote:  Was he Asian? Perhaps you should mind your own business? Personally, I think the multiple rod in the water rule is stupid, and probably meant to be enforced in larger, heavily fished lakes, not small, local storm ponds. Having said that, he was out of line chasing you. What was he going to do if he caught you? Hit you, take your phone? You should have called the police, not the MNR.

What does race have to do with this??? I've seen people from all backgrounds and races doing illegal things in regards to fishing.

A rule is a rule and as such, must be enforced.

Giuga in the future, I'd take photos from a far and perhaps one of a license plate or other object that is able to identify the angler... Not trying to talk down to you, just don't want to loose a valuable member of the site!
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 11:37 PM by Giuga10.)
(06-05-2013 10:11 PM)angler1 Wrote:  Was he Asian? Perhaps you should mind your own business? Personally, I think the multiple rod in the water rule is stupid, and probably meant to be enforced in larger, heavily fished lakes, not small, local storm ponds. Having said that, he was out of line chasing you. What was he going to do if he caught you? Hit you, take your phone? You should have called the police, not the MNR.

I can not believe you would recommend me minding my own business??!! This is a rule no matter what body of water. These small ponds are much more delicate than larger lakes as they have much smaller populations. And I completely disagree with what you are saying about the multi rod rule, many species populations are dwindling already and with more rigs in the water that would only increase the rate of their perish. Until you've seen people like this take away something you love, please do not make comments like that.

But I do agree with one thing you said, he was completely out of line for chasing me.
(06-05-2013 10:34 PM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  Giuga in the future, I'd take photos from a far and perhaps one of a license plate or other object that is able to identify the angler... Not trying to talk down to you, just don't want to loose a valuable member of the site!

I completely agree, at the heat of the moment I hadn't thought of what the smartest thing to do would be. Also the only parking lot in the area was my schools parking lot so I would have no clue which car was his Tongue.

(06-05-2013 06:13 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Next time you see him, do not confront him. Rather, take a picture from afar, and call MNR. Give them your information and tell them you have taken picture as proof. If you report the same guy enough times, the MNR will eventually take action.

I hadn't noticed the three rods prior to saying hello so only after I confronted him was I able to find out he was fishing illegally. I definitely should have walked away after figuring it out, and taken a picture from afar. I'll try to remember stuff like this if it happens again Tongue
06-06-2013, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 01:18 PM by MuskieBait.)

I'm Asian...what's your point? Are you stereotyping me as poacher now? Dodgy

Multiple rod rule is not stupid. You don't need 3 rods to catch a fish. If you can't catch a fish with 1 rod...having 2 other rods do not help you. More lines in the water does not equal more fish caught...when will people realize this???

And if that was me, it is every bit MY business to educate and report the poacher...because the fishery resource belongs to me as much as it belongs to anyone else...and my license and taxes pay just as much to preserve and maintain the wonderful fishery that we have. Poaching affect ME as much as anyone else...and if the poacher is breaking the law, it is certain about taking away from MY fishing resource.

Police will not do much...they will just refer the case to Conservation Officers...and to be honest, I'd much rather have Police mind their own official Police business than to meddle with wildlife crimes...because the worst they can do is to represent themselves as uneducated law enforcing agents who have little knowledge of fishing and hunting regulations. Police officers do not know the relevant wildlife issue...so they should not be involved at all.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

06-06-2013, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 08:48 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(06-06-2013 12:05 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  And if that was me, it is every bit MY business to educate and report the poacher...because the fishery resource belongs to me as much as it belongs to anyone else...and my license and taxes pays just as much to preserve and maintain the wonderful fishery that we have. Poaching affect ME as much as anyone else...and if the poacher is breaking the law, it is certain about taking away from MY fishing resource.

Well said Ken. And I can imagine how Nick felt about this because it was a pond so close to his home. I would feel the same way.

Stay safe Nick!

I can't believe he chased you... *shakes head*. Goodbye quiet town that Markham used to be Tongue

Also, condos are going up in the area... if the pollution doesn't kill them overfishing soon will... I'm afraid that's what I see for the future.

[Image: logobgs.png]
06-06-2013, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 12:44 PM by angler1.)
(06-06-2013 12:05 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I'm Asian...what's your point? Are you stereotyping me as poacher now?

I'm curious to know because it seems that a lot of accusations on the internet, are directed at Asians, this website included. I don't know how often this occurs since I've never witnessed any violations.
(06-05-2013 11:32 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  I can not believe you would recommend me minding my own business??!! This is a rule no matter what body of water. These small ponds are much more delicate than larger lakes as they have much smaller populations. And I completely disagree with what you are saying about the multi rod rule, many species populations are dwindling already and with more rigs in the water that would only increase the rate of their perish. Until you've seen people like this take away something you love, please do not make comments like that.

I generally don't bother other anglers and also don't expect others to ask me questions about what I'm going to do with the fish, since that is not their business. It is not illegal to eat fish that you catch.

I understand that you are protective of your local pond, but does the punishment actually fit the crime? A man wants to spend several hours of his time to catch a few fish, maybe for his dinner, when it is probably more cost effective and safer to buy them at the grocery store, and you want him prosecuted or fined several hundred dollars? That's harsh justice for intruding on your pond, IMO.

(06-06-2013 12:05 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Police will not do much...they will just refer the case to Conservation Officers...and to be honest, I'd much rather have Police mind their own official Police business than to meddle with wildlife crimes...because the worst they can do is to represent themselves as uneducated law enforcing agents who have little knowledge of fishing and hunting regulations. Police officers do not know the relevant wildlife issue...so they should not be involved at all.

I suggested that he call the police to protect himself from being assaulted, not to have the 'poacher' arrested.
06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Catching fish and keeping fish for consumption within regulations (limit, size and season) is perfectly fine, and yes, it is no one else's business if it was done according to the regulation.

However, if the angler is using 3 rods to fish while there is a restriction that only 1 rod is allowed, then it is our business to either educate or report. Conservation Officers cannot be everywhere at all times to monitor and watch for compliance with fishing regulations, as such, anglers should keep an eye out for violations and report them when possible.

If it is cheaper and much easier to obtain a meal of fish from the grocery store, as opposed to poaching with excessive rods, or fishing without license, or keeping over the limit, then why do people do it? Because they know enforcement is lax and they can get away with it. So instead of debating whether the punishment fit the crime, why don't people just follow regulations and not commit the crime in the first place?

Malama o ke kai