You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Best low-visibility floats for gin-clear water?
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 10:03 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Best low-visibility floats for gin-clear water?
Hey guys,

Steelhead season is fast approaching, and I was hoping to get advice on floats for gin-clear water.

The Phantom floats from Blackbird seem fantastic, but they're crazy expensive. I was searching around for cheap knock-offs and found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Clear-Crystal...6rk%3D5%26

[Image: $T2eC16Z,!yUE9s6NGyleBQKgEHrH2w~~60_12.JPG]

Seems OK... but I haven't found any knock-offs of the Phantom design - which seems ideal. Clear plastic with just a touch of indicator colouring!

[Image: 31CbQwqO2TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

What do you guys like to use for gin-clear conditions?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: Best low-visibility floats for gin-clear water?
Some of the newer floats are very nice, but as you say expensive……… almost the cost of a name brand lure.

I’ve had negative experiences with some cheaper hard plastic clear floats in the very cold weather (they crack if impacted or even slightly bent………..then they are “sinkers”).

Just my opinion – but I prefer the natural floats made from balsa and/or cork even though they present a larger “presence”.

You don’t see them any more – but the much larger diameter natural quill floats made in Africa were nice, and tough as nails. The ones I see now available are not straight, too skinny, less buoyant and not recommended.

Not a recommendation but here’s a fun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUM303yF1Jw

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I found a float that a Chinese Tenkara fisherman had forgotten at Toogood pond. It is like one of the long thin floats with small differences. I haven't tried it yet but it seems pretty cool. Here's a link to some floats kinda like the one I have. http://www.service-1.org/product,281334,...obber.html

Good luck,
Giuga10
09-18-2012, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 06:49 PM by fishfight.)
There are many debris floating on the river water surface, fish will not be able to distinguish between floating debris or a clear float. Fake beads work many times with no scent, proves when fish want to strike, they even strike on plastic beads, as effective as any fresh roe, technique sworn by many anglers.

Most important is float vs. lead weight balance, when the presentation is place right in front of them. We are more than half way to success.

To be consistantly successful in fishing, we have to BELIEVE we are fooling the fish, and not the fish fooling us into making fishing a Liability sport, hurting our pocket. Older generation anglers, before things get manufactured in quantities, use to fish with just some small piece of balsa wood. Most natural presentation IMO.
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 08:22 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Thanks for the replies guys. OT, that straw float is a really cool idea Smile.

When the floats arrive I'll let you guys know if they're any good. I think i'd rather go with long floats from now on, like the phantom ones pictured above. I feel the advantage of a long and thin float is that it's more sensitive to subtle changes in your drift?

Way more sensitive than the old school red and white clip-on classic bobbers Tongue

09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Long thin floats are always better in a river or stream. Much less drag in the current extends the drift duration.

But the old big clip ons still are useful for lake fishing LARGE minnows for pike.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Nice find with those long thin quill style floats! I can think of so many applications when I would love to have a float like that!

If they look good I may order 60 of these floats.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-19-2012, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 10:24 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(09-19-2012 08:37 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Nice find with those long thin quill style floats! I can think of so many applications when I would love to have a float like that!

If they look good I may order 60 of these floats.

I will update and advise! Big GrinBig Grin

In other news, my el-cheapo braided line arrived today. 100m of 8lb braid for $6 for deep jigging / canoe trolling lake trout next year.

Of course, I will be rigorously testing it beforehand! I'll let you guys know about the cheap braid.

09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I bought some of the phantom floats today, were only $2.99 at CT for a 2 pack, Now to get out and use em Smile
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
(09-24-2012 11:36 AM)Ridx Wrote:  I bought some of the phantom floats today, were only $2.99 at CT for a 2 pack, Now to get out and use em Smile

Was that a sale price?