You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

05-29-2017, 11:11 AM
catfish
Hello everyone.
I was wondering what is everyone favourite catfish bait and how to fish them?
Thank Alvin123
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2017, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 03:20 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: catfish
(05-29-2017 11:11 AM)Alvin123 Wrote:  Hello everyone.
Thank Alvin123

Hey Alvin,

For channel catfish I would recommend cut white sucker (or river chub, or common shiner) for increased attraction coming from a smell and taste that the channel cats will recognize. Many of the larger bait shops carry frozen cut (or whole) white sucker.

Any equipment would work........... cats are NOT line or hardware shy at all. Line type and weight don’t matter. I use medium light mostly.......... but will step it up in “big” waters like Dunnville, .............or go to ultra light for a real good tussle.......

Slip sinker rigs using bells or eggs work great, but if there is minimal current then pinch-ons would work. If the water is wow snaggy you may wish to consider using a three way swivel with sacrificial lighter test droppers to the hook and sinkers.

My fav rig:

Use circle hooks. 2/0 or larger. Leave the hook point exposed (not buried in the bait). Other styles/sizes of hooks would work, but larger circles will increase lip hooks ups while minimizing mortal wound ”gut” hooking.

The cats will hold in the “deeper” runs, pools, outside corners. Cast to the leading upstream edge of these structures – so the smell washes downstream to the fish and attracts them.

Use just enough weight to hold your bait stationary on bottom and provide casting distance help. The fish will come to your bait following the scent/taste trail. Use a rod holder or forked stick.

You may see a fish break the surface as it nears your baits location as it searches. You may also see a few light twitches in your line as the fish brushes your line as it circles about the bait. There is no such thing as a light nibble......... when they decide your bait is food they will engulf it aggressively.

More info here : http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...t=cut+bait

For bullhead catfish........simple ........ worms on bottom.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Alvin123 (05-30-2017)
05-30-2017, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 01:33 PM by Adamthedeertracker.)
What time of year would u say is good? I'm suposs to head down to the dunnville area this weekend for channel cats and possibly white bass.

(05-29-2017 03:18 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
Thank Alvin123

Hey Alvin,

For channel catfish I would recommend cut white sucker (or river chub, or common shiner) for increased attraction coming from a smell and taste that the channel cats will recognize. Many of the larger bait shops carry frozen cut (or whole) white sucker.

Any equipment would work........... cats are NOT line or hardware shy at all. Line type and weight don’t matter. I use medium light mostly.......... but will step it up in “big” waters like Dunnville, .............or go to ultra light for a real good tussle.......

Slip sinker rigs using bells or eggs work great, but if there is minimal current then pinch-ons would work. If the water is wow snaggy you may wish to consider using a three way swivel with sacrificial lighter test droppers to the hook and sinkers.

My fav rig:

Use circle hooks. 2/0 or larger. Leave the hook point exposed (not buried in the bait). Other styles/sizes of hooks would work, but larger circles will increase lip hooks ups while minimizing mortal wound ”gut” hooking.

The cats will hold in the “deeper” runs, pools, outside corners. Cast to the leading upstream edge of these structures – so the smell washes downstream to the fish and attracts them.

Use just enough weight to hold your bait stationary on bottom and provide casting distance help. The fish will come to your bait following the scent/taste trail. Use a rod holder or forked stick.

You may see a fish break the surface as it nears your baits location as it searches. You may also see a few light twitches in your line as the fish brushes your line as it circles about the bait. There is no such thing as a light nibble......... when they decide your bait is food they will engulf it aggressively.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Also in the grand river below dunnville is there a good chance of getting carp or white perch while fishing?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Adamthedeertracker for this post:
CeeDee (06-01-2017)
05-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Catfish season is in full swing! Get going, can't catch fish while looking at your screen.
06-01-2017, 03:26 PM
(05-30-2017 01:32 PM)Adamthedeertracker Wrote:  What time of year would u say is good? I'm suposs to head down to the dunnville area this weekend for channel cats and possibly white bass.

(05-29-2017 03:18 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
Thank Alvin123

Hey Alvin,

My fav rig:

Cheers,

OldTimer

Also in the grand river below dunnville is there a good chance of getting carp or white perch while fishing?

Thank you oldtimer.

CEEDEE