You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing In jasper National Park and Western Canada
06-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Fishing In jasper National Park and Western Canada
I know the is the Ontario Shore Fishing Site but has anyone had any experience fishing out west. I'm going to be in jasper park for a week then up to northern BC for a week then down to Vancouver for a week and i was wondering if there was any epic fish i should go after. or if anyone has any tips on fishing real rivers not the small stuff we have here? i was thinking of trying a fly wishing guide/ operation for a day see what its all about. gotta figure out the whole temporary licences for alberta and BC. any tips or suggestions?

Bro When I Say Its Good To Fish Its Good To FISH!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Fishing In jasper National Park and Western Canada
yeah gotta start looking into the fishing reg for the park if I'm going to fish there. I'm thinking once i got up to northern BC thats where ill probably go try for some fish seeing as its a small town not much enforcement around so i might be able to slip by for a day or two without have to pay 10 bucks or what ever the price is just to do a little catch and release. lots of googling to be done i suppose. as for the bears a can of bear spray should hopefully do the trick if not just try to avoid what i can.

06-02-2012, 03:16 PM
(06-02-2012 02:06 PM)Magikarp Wrote:  I'm thinking once i got up to northern BC thats where ill probably go try for some fish seeing as its a small town not much enforcement around so i might be able to slip by for a day or two without have to pay 10 bucks or what ever the price is just to do a little catch and release.

Not cool.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 08:18 PM by MuskieBait.)
(06-02-2012 03:16 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 02:06 PM)Magikarp Wrote:  I'm thinking once i got up to northern BC thats where ill probably go try for some fish seeing as its a small town not much enforcement around so i might be able to slip by for a day or two without have to pay 10 bucks or what ever the price is just to do a little catch and release.

Not cool.

Yeah, not cool at all. The law is there to be respected to protect natural resources. Think how you would feel if someone from another province or country visit Toronto and fish without a license.

I have fished in BC a little bit...but now I have no intention in sharing since you mentioned fishing without a license. Dodgy Not cool at all. I fished in several states and both in BC and Alberta. Even if I'm just fishing for a day, I ALWAYS respect the local regulations and always obtain a license, regardless of cost, if I intend to fish...even if it was just for an hour.

Last time I was in Alberta, I only had one day to try to catch a Goldeye. I went to Canadian Tire to get a license but they messed up on my driver's license entry when the clerk typed it in. I had to get it corrected at their natural resource office the next morning and waited for the office to open at 10am. We lost half a day of fishing time...and it costed me more than $10 for a non-residence one day license (there was a card similar to an Outdoors Card that I need as well). Long story short, it doesn't matter the amount of hassle, the cost, or the time needed to get a license...to respect the local anglers and local government, and MOST IMPORTANTLY to respect the local natural resources, ALWAYS obtain a license and fish legally!

You better watch out if you think a little town does not get the attention of large rivers or popular lakes. I was in BC fishing a small creek in the middle of nowhere and I was checked TWICE by two separate conservation officers. There are also complicated regulations in BC where most areas are barbless, artificial bait only, and there are rivers that are classified as Class I or Class II waters. Class II waters require a separate tag to fish in such waters and I think the price was $20/day for non-residents at the time. Class II waters are tightly regulated and checked. This tag is separate from the fishing license. There are also separate licenses for freshwater vs. tidal waters.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 03:58 PM by Magikarp.)
(06-02-2012 08:08 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 03:16 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  

Not cool.

Yeah, not cool at all. The law is there to be respected to protect natural resources. Think how you would feel if someone from another province or country visit Toronto and fish without a license.

I have fished in BC a little bit...but now I have no intention in sharing since you mentioned fishing without a license. Dodgy Not cool at all. I fished in several states and both in BC and Alberta. Even if I'm just fishing for a day, I ALWAYS respect the local regulations and always obtain a license, regardless of cost, if I intend to fish...even if it was just for an hour.

Last time I was in Alberta, I only had one day to try to catch a Goldeye. I went to Canadian Tire to get a license but they messed up on my driver's license entry when the clerk typed it in. I had to get it corrected at their natural resource office the next morning and waited for the office to open at 10am. We lost half a day of fishing time...and it costed me more than $10 for a non-residence one day license (there was a card similar to an Outdoors Card that I need as well). Long story short, it doesn't matter the amount of hassle, the cost, or the time needed to get a license...to respect the local anglers and local government, and MOST IMPORTANTLY to respect the local natural resources, ALWAYS obtain a license and fish legally!

You better watch out if you think a little town does not get the attention of large rivers or popular lakes. I was in BC fishing a small creek in the middle of nowhere and I was checked TWICE by two separate conservation officers. There are also complicated regulations in BC where most areas are barbless, artificial bait only, and there are rivers that are classified as Class I or Class II waters. Class II waters require a separate tag to fish in such waters and I think the price was $20/day for non-residents at the time. Class II waters are tightly regulated and checked. This tag is separate from the fishing license. There are also separate licenses for freshwater vs. tidal waters.

you know whats not cool Terrible Service which is what i guaranty ill get if i try and deal with any government agency. they will somehow ether screw it up make me wait for half an hour on hold or do something stupid to make the entire experience not worth it. I'm not saying I'm going after fish that i shouldn't or that I'm even going to keep any but the fact they ant me to pay them money to do that is kinda lame to begin with not to mention the fact they don't understand the concept of service. Im still waiting on my fishing licence for ontario that i bought in march and you think I'm going out of my way to fish for a day or two thats just stupid. also seeing as how i will be in northern and i mean northern BC i highly doubt there is going to be anywhere close by to get a fishing licence. so why should i run around like a jackass for a days worth of fishing if that. the main point of the fishing licence is to help pay the costs of enforcement because of assholes who harm fish by overfishing and not giving the fish a chance to breed. i don't and i don't see how its fair that i gotta run around and jump through hoops to fish. in my inter life fishing I've kept one fish 23 years and one fish that was in season and of size. if the government wants my money I'm happy to give it to them but not if its going to waste my time

out of curiosity i looked it up 20 bucks for a single day licence. thats a joke a whole year in ontario is 15. i mean sure they won't acutely send you the licence but compared to the 20 for a day i fell less ripped off

06-03-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 02:08 PM by OldTimer.)
Keep diggin'

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-11-2012, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 01:30 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(06-02-2012 02:06 PM)Magikarp Wrote:  seeing as its a small town not much enforcement around so i might be able to slip by for a day or two without have to pay 10 bucks or what ever the price is just to do a little catch and release

Wrong thing to post on a fishing forum.

I hope that the replies on this thread can teach newcomers the importance of proper licencing. It is a serious issue, not something to be shrugged off.

Remember, always report violations by calling 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667). Together, we can help make sure violations don't go unnoticed.

From my experience there are "casual" participants in the fishing sport who do not understand the regulations nor the importance of a licence. These people usually stick out like a sore thumb from shore.

For example, a few months ago I witnessed two people fishing for trout in a closed section of the river, right behind a dam. I approached them and told them they couldn't target the trout, nor fish right behind a dam. They really didn't know, nor did they know anything else about the regulations. Probably didn't have a licence either. A few days later a CO calls me and said it was his day off that day so he couldn't respond. Angry

.... trying to figure out the most constructive way to enlighten them when MNR doesn't show up. Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]