You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Stories and Tall Tales
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: Fishing Stories and Tall Tales
This is the second most popular thread on the forum and it's been almost four months since we've had a post here......... lots of new members since then as well....

So I bump it up to see if anyone's got a new tall tale or giggle.................

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 06:17 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-27-2012 08:15 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Good stuff figuring out how to take the barbed hook out!

This is exactly why I always wear my $10 Walmart polarized sunglasses...

Just last weekend I had somebody whack me in the eyes with the tip of their noodle rod when they set the hook and missed the fish. Sunglasses, sunglasses, sunglasses....

Glasses or sunglasses don't help when SOMEONE yanked them off your face during one of his casts. Tongue

Should I tell the story? Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Please do.......... smile.

See you on the river.
03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
(03-18-2013 02:44 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 12:38 PM)Nerdastic Wrote:  Yep Please do Smile

16th spam like message.

Dealt with.

[Image: logobgs.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
OldTimer (03-20-2013)
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 03:50 PM by OldTimer.)
This is a little fishing joke my dad and I used to pull on new people coming up to our Muskoka cottage in the spring:

We had an old Bakelite 78 rpm phonograph record connected loosely with an eye bolt and washers through its centre hole - and attached to a 3 foot wire leader that had an 8 ounce egg sinker on it………and with a snap swivel on the loose end of the cable.

This rig was fairly heavy.

We’d take a person out flat line trolling on the lake with Williams Wabler spoons – so we’d get the rods out and placed in their gunwale and transom holders. Then Dad would start his “history of the lake speech” as we trolled past the many points of interest. Usually as we went past one of the larger resorts we’d get out the binoculars to let the guest have a “real good” look.

While they were distracted – I’d clip the snap of the rig on their rods line and drop the assembly in the water.

Well……….. in less than 3 seconds this would run down their line and stop suddenly when it reached the spoon and make the rod lurch and bend DOWN.

“FISH ON” I’d yell and jerk the rod outta the holder and hand it to the guest. Dad would not stop the boat but keep right trolling.

What a show!................ the rig was so heavy that the light rod and the reel’s drag could just barely handle it… plus it would dip, dive, and veer as the disc moved into different angles to the water.

I’d be yelling: Reel…Reel……Reel…HARDER…….keep yer rod up…………..Reel…….come on - reel faster……DONT STOP …..REEL!

Eventually the guest would manage to reel it all in…………… to see their “record” catch…

…………smile.

…………………………..“Shall I net it for you?”

Cheers,

OldTimer

ps……….I’ve also seen this joke pulled with a small downrigger ball by an old (late) friend - Doug Neal,.......... while downrigger fishing in his 24’ Sea Ray for Lake Trout on Lake Simcoe.

See you on the river.
05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
That's too funny, I love it.
06-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Froggin’

About 45-50 years ago my father & I spent many days exploring the lakes, rivers and streams close to our family’s cottage in Muskoka.

On one of those early morning trips we shore fished a small lake that bordered a highway nearby. The road installation had left piles of LARGE rocks along about 200 feet of shore. The rest of the shallow lake was ringed with cattails and lily pads.

We didn’t catch any fish, but did notice that on several large rocks that protruded above the surface there were a couple very large black bullfrogs. These things were ¾’s the size of a CFL football – BIG!

We tried dangling a lure in their faces – no dice……they spooked and were gone…….. And we continued on our way.

Later – when we returned to the cottage – we mentioned the frogs to my Uncle Jim. Jim went on and on about how great frogs’ legs were to eat …………and that we should have tried harder to get some…..etc.
My dad only took so much of this ……..then offered - if Jimmy would like to come along we’d go back and get a bunch of frogs – but Jimmy would have to clean and cook them for us.

Off we go…………

Dad & I brought along our flippers, masks and snorkels and a few nets, and a few burlap sacks. Jimmy brought his beer.

So we get back there…….. Now it’s about 1pm and the sun is blistering……. No frogs on the rocks………. But we have a something new sunning themselves on the rocks all along the shore – SNAKES………..big ones, and lots too………….

Jimmy gets a load of this snake show ………and he’s out……… runs back to the truck and gets in…….

We search the shore area – but we see no frogs – probably due to the snakes. So we don our snorkel outfits and sorta wade/swim along the shore away from the road way. In no time at all we begin to come upon frogs either sunning on logs or the natural rocks … or just floating below the surface in the pads. The nets prove useless.. way too slow and clumsy to catch these boys.

Dad has an idea so we go back to the truck……..

My father was a millwright (and also an RCAF spitfire mechanic during WWII) – he always carried his tools and stuff with him….. so……………. He has an old black rubber garden hose in the truck that was on its way to the dump………………. He cuts off a few pieces about 2 feet long……. Jams a 3 oz egg lead sinker in the end of each of them and uses his B-Tank torch to melt the rubber ends so they shrink in.

……………Frog wompers!................. and they worked real good.

Snorkel along the edges.. see a frog………..close in…..womp’em……….. put them in the sack.

In the next one and a half hours my dad got 8 bullfrogs before checking on Jim………. I lasted a bit longer and got 10 before calling it quits.

Back to the cottage………………..

I’m showering up to get ready for the “Jimmy’s frog leg appetizers ” preceding our BBQ bass supper and bon-fire…………and I hear a shrill scream……. And then laughter………. Seems my dad slipped a live snake in with the frogs Jimmy was cleaning…………

One last memory………….. I ended up skinning/cleaning the last half, and then was the chef for all them………. Some twitch when you cook them that fresh………. Smile.

Tasted real good though…………. sorta like snake....smile.

BTW ------------- this year bullfrog season opens on July 21st 2013………..the 2013 limit is 10 per “frogger” – you must have a valid fishing licence.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...65367.html

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Spittin' the Hook

In my quest for a ten pound cat a couple of nights ago I was wrapping things up reeling in my rod for the last time. It was a good night with some fun action. Caught one at 5.5 lbs and practiced playing larger fish properly.

While reeling in my final cast felt a small cat at the end of the line. I was using large bait so I was not catching too many small ones but this one did not feel big at all. It was far out so it took me a minute to reel it in. As usual they started to fight as they got close to the shore and close to the surface. He fought well for a little guy....

Just as he got about 6ft of shore though he flipped his tail splashed the water and literally spit the hook back me. It flew from six feet off shore and landed at my feet. The tenacious bugger was probably not even hooked he just did not want to give up his snack.

I thought spitting the hook was a figurative expression, I guess not.... Made me laugh.
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Along the way most anglers have done a few things that are - upon reflection - not a shining moment in judgement, mental ability, or actions:

Here’s a few of mine:

1) Drive quite a distance to go fishing - only to discover the two rod sections you brought along aren’t off the same rod……………… doh!

2) Throw the anchor out then watch…. as the untied off 50’ of rope disappears in 100’ of water….doh!

3) What spare gas tank?..............doh!

4) “No dear………. I’m sure I said put the worms in the fridge, not the freezer”……….doh!

5) “OK……… who left the bucket of live clams in my car’s trunk at the airport parking lot last week”……… doh!

6) “I thought it was your turn to bring the food this weekend”……….. doh!

7) “Didn’t look like poison ivy”…….. doh!

8) “Didn’t look that deep”…………….doh! (many times)……….. oh well………….. smile.

You got any stellar moments to share? ………………….

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-04-2013, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 08:25 PM by Fishchaser67.)
I remember when I was 19 years old, me and a buddy were fishing in a deep pool on the sturgeon river was a hot summer day we fished for a few hrs but caught nothing and decided to go for a swim as we were swimming , I saw something move on the bottom after a few min we realized it was a 6 foot sturgeon we decided we were going to catch it ,, we needed to came up with a plan , jumped on our bikes and went back home to look for something to use , hey lets use some close line good and strong we said , we made a noose and jumped back on our bikes and back to the river , We managed to get it around the body of the fish, now we are both standing on shore trying to pull in this fish, well did not work very well we ended up going swimming again lol ,, as we stood on shore holding the end of the line thinking of what we were going to do next 2 MNR officers come walking up and asked what are you boys up to ,, we said we were trying to catch a fish and we have one on the line one chuckled and said ok and walked over and grabbed the line pulled on it and realized there was something on the end he called his partner over to help he also chuckled we said its a big one be careful well guess who went swimming ,, we laugh so hard ..... it took 4 of use to get it in, took the line off and let it go we ended up getting a 50. Dollar fine each for wrongfully trying to catch this fish . I was still laughing and said I would pay that just to see you do that again , well they did not think it was funny but we Shure did .. up till this day still makes me laugh Tongue
Find all posts by this user