You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello - HunGJaI
06-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Hello - HunGJaI
Hi All,

New to the board, just started out fishing (soon) buying all the gear and stuff now...

Looks like this can get $$$ quick Smile

Looking at setup now...any suggestions for a beginner?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2016, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 02:34 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Hello - HunGJaI
Hi,

For a beginner I'd recommend:

Get a copy of the regulations and read them.

Get a licence.

Learn to tie an improved clinch knot.

Read lots of the articles here on this website.

Mitchell 300 reel + Ugly Stick 7'0" medium rod........... some 8 or 10 pound mono.......... some #4 and #8 hooks.............some used prescription bottles to keep hooks and stuff in ...... a mixed container of split shot........... a mixed container of egg sinkers............. a cheap landing net........ a pair of needle nose pliers.......nail clippers on a tether.......a short Rapala old school wood handle fillet knife......... a shoulder bag or cheap tackle box (NOT BAG)........... a few #2 Mepps Spinners, a few 4" Rapalas, some white and black Mr Twister soft baits c/w 1/4 oz jig heads.......... a few dozen worms...............a cool "I Love Hooters" hat............some cheap polaroid sunglasses....... a bottle of water.....sun block.... a sandwich ............ and a positive attitude.

Pick a spot after much research............ http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...ht=finding

Go for it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

ps........ the hat thing was a joke...........

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
4got10 (06-13-2016)
06-09-2016, 02:38 PM
(06-09-2016 02:33 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hi,

For a beginner I'd recommend:

Get a copy of the regulations and read them.

Get a licence.

Learn to tie an improved clinch knot.

Read lots of the articles here on this website.

Mitchell 300 reel + Ugly Stick 7'0" medium rod........... some 8 or 10 pound mono.......... some #4 and #8 hooks.............some used prescription bottles to keep hooks and stuff in ...... a mixed container of split shot........... a mixed container of egg sinkers............. a cheap landing net........ a pair of needle nose pliers.......nail clippers on a tether.......a short Rapala old school wood handle fillet knife......... a shoulder bag or cheap tackle box (NOT BAG)........... a few #2 Mepps Spinners, a few 4" Rapalas, some white and black Mr Twister soft baits c/w 1/4 oz jig heads.......... a few dozen worms...............a cool "I Love Hooters" hat............some cheap polaroid sunglasses....... a bottle of water.....sun block.... a sandwich ............ and a positive attitude.

Pick a spot after much research............ http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...ht=finding

Go for it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

ps........ the hat thing was a joke...........

What!!! I was just about to head out to my local hooters (need to support them and buy a hat!)

Wow...that's a lot of info...

I'm going to be heading to Le Baron tonight to finish up all my stuff Smile

Thanks!
06-09-2016, 03:21 PM
No problem.

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcli...crollPoint

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-13-2016, 02:42 PM
(06-09-2016 03:21 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  No problem.

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcli...crollPoint

Cheers,

OldTimer

Thanks oldtimer,

Well made my first trip out this year... was using my buddies setup went to Canal (didn't catch anything Sad) but my buddy got a nice 22" Pike

Now I'm debiting over the HMX or HMG rod Huh
06-13-2016, 03:36 PM
(06-13-2016 02:42 PM)HunGJaI Wrote:  Thanks oldtimer,

Well made my first trip out this year... was using my buddies setup went to Canal (didn't catch anything Sad) but my buddy got a nice 22" Pike

Now I'm debiting over the HMX or HMG rod Huh

If you have just started fishing, the difference between HMX and HMG will not be very apparent. In fact, I'll go on a limb and say for the novice angler, they won't be able to appreciate the difference between the different rod options.

My recommendation is to simply get a good combo, like the one OT has recommended, fish and gain some experience. Upgrade the gear when it has become inadequate for what you want/need to do. At this stage, you probably don't know what you want/need from your gear.

Should you have the split grip of the HMX? Or is the full grip of the HMG better for you intention? Should you have a longer butt section or a shorter one? Should you get a moderate action rod or a fast action? 6'6" or 7'6"?

You can begin to answer these questions once you spend more time on the water and figure out your preferred fishing style and needs.

Simply buying the best gear doesn't help you catch fish if you don't have experience on the water to use the gear to its full potential.

Conversely, the best angler in the world can outfish most anglers using the $20 Walmart special...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html