You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello, this is Firas from Mississauga
09-22-2015, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 06:45 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Hello, this is Firas from Mississauga
(09-22-2015 05:48 PM)kouma Wrote:  I KNOW!! I love they way they swim, Basspro has their own version, but the Keitechs are softer IMO. I even used them as trailer on my chatterbaits. If I was a fish, I would jump on it Big Grin

We all say that when we see a new lure on the market. Big Grin

I question MA when he said he was going to add a swimbait as a trailer to his Chatterbait. He said it would offer the vibration and attraction of a wriggling Chatterbait...yet provide the subtle kick of the tail and softness of a swimbait.

So I ask him if a fish wanted subtlety, wouldn't the Chatterbait of that combo scare the fish away?

And I further ask him if a fish wanted vibration and aggressive approach, wouldn't the swimbait action be masked and ineffective?

For bulk, I would rather add something like a crawfish trailer...or a twin tail grub...or twin paddletail that imitates a frog. Something like Rage Toad comes to mind. It adds much more action and noise that complements the Chatterbait well...and these types of trailer is initially intended for the Chatterbait also (see Chatterfrog).

For something with wiggle but a little less noise (and much cheaper), consider the Luck-E-Strike Scrounger jig head. The Scrounger is the original "chatterbait" that comes in smaller sizes for more finesse presentation.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2015, 03:57 AM
a chatterbait has such an erratic motion...i think that is what triggers a strike....i use the keitechs on swim jigs and chatterbaits also....if i could only bring one setup when i'm shore fishing, it'll be my swimbait combo...i tend to throw it about 60% of the time now when i fish....IMO its my confidence bait that gets me the most bites when the fishing is tough.....
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 03:19 PM by OldTimer.)
(09-22-2015 08:34 AM)kouma Wrote:  Thanks OldTimer and MuskieBait for your responses so far.

My equipment:

Reels: Quantum E30PTi, Shimano Curado 201E7 and 301E.
Rods: Shimano Crucial, Compre, and Clarus rods. MH/F 7', 7'8", 8'6"
Line: Braid 30lbs & 80lbs
Leader: 60lbs Nylon covered stainless steel or 40lbs Fluorocarbon
Main Lures: (wife doesnt like me using live baits) frogs (pad crashers), chatterbaits (z-man), soft plastics (5" worms and 4"-6" keitech fat swing impact), crankbaits (ArukuShad65).

Really nice gear - but perhaps a bit heavy duty for the fish you''ll actually have access to in the greater GTA (other than carp and migratory species).

Perhaps lighten up things a bit in general. You have to "play to the audience" of what fish will actually see your stuff.

I rarely use a leader of any description and for the most part use old school mono (usually in 8 lb test).

Perhaps lighter line on the Quantum spinner mounted on a new medium light rod combined with smaller profile lures might be an option in your arenas.

Possibly buy a few mepps in #2 and #3 sizes - SILVER.

Minimize the "bait hate" your wife has - then get some worms and try them.

You may have another option in use of the gear you have to get into Carp. A no-name can of corn, a couple of sinkers, and some circle hooks will work just great.

Night fishing is fine, but I find the view generally boring. I find for me it's about the total experience.

In my books mid day sucks. It's a low % deal. And way too hot in the mid summer.

Low light of the morning and evening has been best in my world and associated success rates. Furthermore, my preference has always been morning where my experience using my methods has yielded a higher % than evenings..., but opinions vary............

and BTW........ research, learning and spending time investigating possible "spots" is forever necessary and the only ongoing route to continued success in angling. It all changes endlessly.

But that's just my slant ............ hope it helps....... or gets you pondering......

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi,

Welcome.
09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
(09-23-2015 03:39 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Cheers,

OldTimer

Hello OldTimer,

I replaced the braid on my Quantum reel with a mono 20lbs Smile sorry i just dont feel comfortable with anything less.

Now regarding the Mepp #2 and #3, are you talking about this style/color? Also arent these too small/light to cast far? And what type of fish and sizes can you expect to catch with this?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

09-29-2015, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 01:00 PM by MuskieBait.)
With 20lb mono, you will be struggling to cast a #2 or #3 Mepps. This is the reason why OT and I suggested for you to use lighter lines. The thick line diameter does not cut through the air as easily, and the line coil (memory) from the stiffer line also contribute to the problem.

You actually made the situation worse by replacing the braid with the 20lb mono, even if your 80lb braid is equivalent to 20lb mono in diameter. Braid at the same diameter is more flexible than mono with almost no stretch, thus giving you better sensitivity overall and a slight increase in casting distance.

If you change from 30lb braid to 20lb mono, you just went from an ideal situation where 30lb braid is equivalent to 8lb mono to a worse situation where your line is now much stiffer, much more stretch and much less sensitive.

If you insist on using heavy line for fishing, the best suggestion is to use heavy braid (flexible, stretch free and sensitive) with a leader of mono or fluoro material, as OT and I had both suggested.

With #2 and #3 spinners, you can expect to catch anything from 6" Rock Bass all the way to 30lb Chinook Salmon. I just had a 20lb+ salmon slammed my #3 silver Mepps on Saturday.

Here's a 12lb Steelhead caught on the #3 Mepps a couple of years ago...And BTW, this Steelhead was landed on 30lb braid main line with 4 feet of 8lb fluorocarbon leader.

[Image: IMG_1386_post.jpg]

You do not need heavy line to land big fish. All the fish in the following pictures are landed with 8lb mono or fluoro...either as mainline or as leader material.

30lb Grass Carp - 8lb mono main, 8lb fluoro leader

[Image: Actinopterygii_Cypriniformes_Cyprinidae_...2_post.jpg]

34" Common Carp (~25lbs) - 8lb mono main, 8lb fluoro leader

[Image: Actinopterygii_Cypriniformes_Cyprinidae_...4_post.jpg]

29" Brown Trout (~12lbs) - 8lb mono main, 8lb fluoro leader

[Image: Brown_Trout_29.5in_Nov_2005_post.jpg]

10lb+ Freshwater Drum - 30lb braid main, 8lb mono leader

[Image: IMG_1436_post.jpg]

20lb Chinook Salmon - 8lb mono main, 6lb fluoro leader

[Image: IMG_0049_post.jpg]

If you are not fishing in areas where there are a lot of obstacles or opportunities for fish to wrap your line or cut your line, 8-10lb mono will handle the majority of your shore fishing situations in Ontario. One time, I even pulled a 40lb Cownose Ray backwards after a 100+ yards run in Maryland. It was snagged at the base of the tail and difficult to control, but I was only using 30lb braid, 15lb mono and #8 baitholder hooks. It took a while but the fish was eventually leadered at the beach. If you set the drag properly, let the rod and the drag put out the pressure, be patient and let the fish run to tire out...you can land some big fish on light lines.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-29-2015, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 03:28 PM by OldTimer.)
(09-29-2015 12:45 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If you are not fishing in areas where there are a lot of obstacles or opportunities for fish to wrap your line or cut your line, 8-10lb mono will handle the majority of your shore fishing situations in Ontario.

Yep.............. in a nutshell, and what's been workin' for me for over half a century (and we had lottsa bigger fish back then).

My father liked 6 pound test in Southern Ontario.

I only go heavy when absolutely necessary in fresh water shore line fishing - to avoid cut offs and in HEAVY weeds.

Sure - you'll lose more lures on snags - but any pastime - be it angling or golf, or whatever costs money.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks OT and MB, I am learning so much from you and wow amazing fish, all are show pieces.

I went and purchased 20lbs and 30lbs power pro super 8 slick in timber brown color and will remove the 20lbs mono.
02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Last summer there were a few pike 20-40" at Lakefront Promenade. Also 6" perch, medium size smallmouth bass, and good size freshwater drums. Those things can fight.

Mostly caught July-September when the weed growth was decent.