You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

If you like to look at fish pictures...
09-25-2013, 01:56 PM
If you like to look at fish pictures...
...I've just finished the organization of my lifelist. It is organized by taxonomic grouping. This is a collection of pictures from 350 species (7 other species are missing good pictures).

Enjoy.

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2013, 03:18 PM
RE: If you like to look at fish pictures...
Now that's biblical.......

........ and friggin' awesome achievements - both in deeds and documentation.

Do you have any plans to commercially publish something in the future?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Looks like all the fish are happily posing for you.. how do you convince them to lay quietly like that?
Find all posts by this user
09-25-2013, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 06:11 PM by MuskieBait.)
@OT - not yet...one day I do wish to have time to compile a book detailing my fishing adventures...for now it's simply in blog format. At the end portion of the book, I may organize a section in the form of this species list.

@shawarma - I negotiate with them...the more cooperative they are, the quickly I can take my picture and release them. Failing a peaceful negotiation, I threaten with with the fillet knife if they still resist. Tongue

Nah, after a while, you get the hang of it. Before I even take the fish out of the water, I would have already identified a location that does the least damage to the fish if it thrash. I would also have already identified the position of the sun such that the fish will have the least amount of shadows and the best possible lighting situation, and I stand in a location where my shadow will not be cast over the fish. If at all possible, I would have already taken out the camera, switched it on, put it in the right flash and/or macro mode and have it in hand before taking the fish out. Then I quickly unhook the fish (or cut the line), place the fish on the ground or surface, hold the fish with one hand while I frame the shot with the other hand, and only remove my hand when everything is ready. This way, the fish tends to thrash less. When they are still full of energy, they also tend to spread their fins more often. Sometimes I can poke them gently in the back to induce them to spread their fins.

Usually, I can get a few shots within 30 seconds. If the fish are more delicate, I usually rest the fish and let them recover a bit in the water before take a few more shots. Most of my fish recovers quickly and are released without issues. Minnows, however, are especially delicate...which is why I tend to use those micro photo tanks now for the smaller species.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-26-2013, 09:40 AM
I always thought it was amazing when I first saw your blog.

Keep up the good work.
09-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Great pics and write ups....just wished that you could maybe use something like a cigarette pack our something for size reference of the fish...
09-28-2013, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 11:38 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-28-2013 11:26 AM)MRQturbo Wrote:  Great pics and write ups....just wished that you could maybe use something like a cigarette pack our something for size reference of the fish...

Size don't matter to me all that much...so I never feel the need to show reference. What's important to me is getting good pictures of the fish so I can look back years later and see them in their full glory.

Yeah, you can't really tell how big the fish are...such as this example...

[Image: Actinopterygii_Elopiformes_Megalopidae_M...0_post.jpg]

[Image: Actinopterygii_Elopiformes_Megalopidae_M...n_post.jpg]

Or this example...

[Image: Actinopterygii_Cypriniformes_Cyprinidae_...2_post.jpg]

[Image: Actinopterygii_Cypriniformes_Cyprinidae_...n_post.jpg]

...but that's okay.

If you are really wondering, then you can check out my notable catches to see some of the personal bests I've caught. The pictures on the lifelist may not correspond with the fish on the notable catches though.

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...tches.html

Malama o ke kai