You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 08:02 AM by Craneboy.)
Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
I was recently dismayed to learn that it is "illegal" to fish from any shoreline in Toronto Harbour Commission jurisdiction....other than from designated 'signed' areas.

http://www.torontoport.com/Port/About-Us...dures.aspx

1.) Where are these designated areas ?

2.) Does this also include the Toronto Islands...and all other waterfront park areas that are clearly advocated by the City of Toronto for sport-fishing use in published recreational guidelines ?

3.) Why isn't this restriction listed in the current Ministry of Natural Resources zoning regulations or exceptions : (ie) Zone 16 or Zone 20 ?

As an avid catch & release fisherman and holder of a valid Ontario conservation fishing licence, I find this THC regulation to be extremely ambiguous and in contravention of my rights as a taxpayer and citizen of this jurisdiction.

I urge others to contact all levels of the Harbour Commission to voice their opinion as I have !!

http://www.torontoport.com/Port/Contact-Us.aspx

Beware... the sometimes over-zealous Marine Unit folk have no sense of humour...and will threaten you with arrest for this "Federal Offence" !!!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
What the heck? This is pretty silly, I'm not sure what they mean by the "limits of the port and harbour of toronto".

I find it hard to believe that the whole GTA shoreline would be closed for fishing. If so, then I'd be pretty outraged =(.

Thanks for the heads up, great post. We should look into this some more.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I was out a few days ago and did notice a few "no fishing" posts on docks within the harbour. It was my first time fishing the city side and I did see a lot of cops and rent a cops and wasn't stopped by anyone. There was also about 6 other anglers there.
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey Guys,

I've read the on-line regulations of the Toronto Port Authority (TPA), which replaced the Toronto Harbour Commision in 1999,..... and yes there are restrictions but I really doubt they are all that wide sweeping.

In any case...... I have sent a written inquiry on this topic along to the TPA asking for explanation & clarification. They should respond within 2 business days.

I'll share their answer then.................
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)
03-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Awesome OldTimer, thanks!

[Image: logobgs.png]
03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I emailed pretty well everyone in the TPA contact list on March 7,....and all I got was one "out of office" reply....LoL

I totally agree with the Marine Police's concerns about shore-fishing in busy commercial areas near high traffic wharves and people-busy Harbourfront area. ...BUT... there are many isolated sections that should be posted and enjoyed !

What also scares me is the fact that Tommy Thompson Park, Ontario Place...AND...the Toronto Islands are clearly pictured in their jurisdiction map to which a person could be subject to detainment or arrest:

http://www.torontoport.com/TorontoPortAu...iction.png

Anyhoooo...I'm gonna "test the waters" ...again....so to speak

I'm trying to organize a "Fish-In" for Sunday, March 11th (yes...TODAY!!) @ high noon....til 3 pm or so...

The weather is supposed to be spectacular ??

Location: The sheltered public dock area just west of the Central Ferry Docks (south of 77-99 Queens Quay condos)...aka Harbour Square Park.

Meet by the cute little waterfall.... underneath the willows !!

Cheers..... Rx

P.S. Bring lots o' grubs....and sunscreen !!

(03-09-2012 04:53 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hey Guys,

I've read the on-line regulations of the Toronto Port Authority (TPA), which replaced the Toronto Harbour Commision in 1999,..... and yes there are restrictions but I really doubt they are all that wide sweeping.

In any case...... I have sent a written inquiry on this topic along to the TPA asking for explanation & clarification. They should respond within 2 business days.

I'll share their answer then.................
03-11-2012, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 11:43 AM by MikeH.)
I discussed this with Wil Wegman at MNR over email last year when I posted the topic over at OFF. If the TPA were to enforce this, then the Toronto Islands would also be a no fishing zone. Plus the MNR would be actively encouracging criminal behaviour with their open fishing family days at Ontario Place, which is also inside TPA boiundarys.

the City of Toronto fishing bylaw specifies that any no fishing zone in a public park must display the Toronto bylaw sign.

The Renta-cops along the harbourfront are their to keep people off the harbour moorings and jettys which are private property. The only people to watch out for at the harbourfront centre staff who contacted Wil Wgman directly asking of they could have harbourfront centre property as no fishing zone.

The proposed redevelopment of the Don Valley estuary includes recreational fishing opportunites, even though it would be at the heart of the TPA zone.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MikeH for this post:
OldTimer (03-11-2012)
03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Good read:

http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/foru...bourfront/
03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to mention that the Toronto city hall website, and Toronto Tourism websites and their brochures all promote fishing the Toronto Islands and at many locations along the shore within the supposed TPA zone.
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Well...I went there today...as did others...and nary a Marine Unit Police boat to be seen !

Caught one small walleye on a dirty ole grub...and put it right back...water was really clear..

I appreciate all the input folks....and I hope this matter is solved soon...as I am partially handicapped and a long day in a kayak/canoe is not an option for me (Yes...you can fish 3' from the dock legally in a vessel....but not from shore !!)

I hate lookin' over my shoulder all the time....other than to cast.....LoL !!

Cheers...... Roche