You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
This meeting will be a great first step to resolving this issue. I want to thank Emily Jackson from the Toronto Star for her great investigation & coverage of the problem. Easy accessible affordable fishing, this is what it is all about!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Great job guys!
I'm with you all the way.
04-02-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 08:34 PM by MikeH.)
If this Waterfront Toronto ownership map is still correct, Harbourfront Centre doesn't own much waterfrontage AT ALL. I am trying to get hold off Waterfront Toronto to get this confirmed.

[attachment=51]

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
(03-26-2012 08:11 PM)David Chong Wrote:  Rather then writing everything again, if anyone is interested you can go to http://www.nationalprostaff.com join for free if you wish and see my reports in regards to this issue.

Cheers,
Dave Chong

Hey David

I see by your post today - at NationalProStaff - that things are moving along nicely.

Good stuff! We're all behind you. Let me know if you need support.

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-03-2012, 04:53 PM
It's going to be a non-issue if Harbourfront centre dont have the right to stop anyone...

04-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Yesterday's TORONTO SUN re new motion at council...........re shore fishing

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/04/cou...tion-clues

See you on the river.
04-05-2012, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 07:37 AM by MikeH.)
Lets hope it goes through. I am still waiting on a reply from waterfront Toronto. I think they own the new boardwalks in conjunction with the city. I did find deeds detailing one of the new waterfront condos was required to sign over a narrow strip of land next to the water for having the boardwalk put in by them. I am trying to find out if HFC or the city did the same with their stretch.

Who actually owns what across the harbour is so convoluted its not even funny.

04-10-2012, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 11:07 AM by Craneboy.)
Maybe it would be prudent to designate any new TPA "fishing areas" catch and release ONLY to help preserve our precious fish stocks and help promote "safe angling" ???

Unfortunately....I keep seeing a lot of "gang-fishing" (usually 10 to 20 folk) armed with kiddie-rods and 5 gal. pails...pullin' everything they can get their hands on out of Harbourfront...and The Islands...regardless of what's in season or size !!

When I phoned the MNR Hotline...they asked me to get their licence numbers....LOL

Cheers......
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
More internet ink - going to TO council tonight or tomorrow:

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/n...an-fishing

Here's hopin'...........

OldTimer

See you on the river.
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
"Gone fishin' " - by Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan

* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations

Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan, recommends that:

1. City Council request that all public bodies along the lakeshore within City limits refrain from interfering with sport fishing unless the activity compromises public safety.

2. City Council establish as much as possible of the central waterfront as a 'Gone Fishing' zone.

3. City Council request the City Solicitor to review the legality of any newly-enforced restrictions which hinder citizens from enjoying sport fishing in locations where this has been permitted in the past.

Summary

Recently, restrictions on public fishing have been enacted along portions of Toronto's waterfront, with fishing restricted to areas designated by posted signage. This is counter to existing policy permitting urban fishing in the City of Toronto provided there is no signage prohibiting fishing.

Fishing is an activity enjoyed by thousands of Torontonians every year. The right to fish can be reasonably restricted for purposes of safety at particular locations, but a patchwork of new enforcement, apparently unrelated to public safety, poses the risk that the lakeshore will be effectively taken from the public realm, enjoyed by all, to a private preserve. As a lakefront City Toronto needs to protect the right of residents to fish in Lake Ontario from public property.

(Submitted to City Council on April 10 and 11, 2012 as MM22.11)

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MikeH for this post:
bettercallsaul (04-10-2012), MichaelAngelo (04-11-2012)