You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
RE: Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
(04-10-2012 12:53 PM)MikeH Wrote:  "Gone fishin' " - by Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan

* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations

Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan, recommends that:

1. City Council request that all public bodies along the lakeshore within City limits refrain from interfering with sport fishing unless the activity compromises public safety.

2. City Council establish as much as possible of the central waterfront as a 'Gone Fishing' zone.

3. City Council request the City Solicitor to review the legality of any newly-enforced restrictions which hinder citizens from enjoying sport fishing in locations where this has been permitted in the past.

Summary

Recently, restrictions on public fishing have been enacted along portions of Toronto's waterfront, with fishing restricted to areas designated by posted signage. This is counter to existing policy permitting urban fishing in the City of Toronto provided there is no signage prohibiting fishing.

Fishing is an activity enjoyed by thousands of Torontonians every year. The right to fish can be reasonably restricted for purposes of safety at particular locations, but a patchwork of new enforcement, apparently unrelated to public safety, poses the risk that the lakeshore will be effectively taken from the public realm, enjoyed by all, to a private preserve. As a lakefront City Toronto needs to protect the right of residents to fish in Lake Ontario from public property.

(Submitted to City Council on April 10 and 11, 2012 as MM22.11)

I'm glad to hear this, but I still see a grey area in point number 1, and harbourfront centre could still claim that it's too busy and you risk injuring someone.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
(04-10-2012 12:53 PM)MikeH Wrote:  "Gone fishin' " - by Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan

What's really cool here is that Adam Vaughan is a listed member of the Toronto HabourFront Centre's board of directors...........

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
(04-10-2012 01:09 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  I'm glad to hear this, but I still see a grey area in point number 1, and harbourfront centre could still claim that it's too busy and you risk injuring someone.

To be honest, I have no issue with them putting up no fishing signs along the front of their own stretch of boardwalk where half a dozen big tourist boats dock or they have 2000 people attending a music event. I also understand that it's prudent money management for them to choose which activities to promote with their limited funds. I just don't accept they have the right to impose a blanket ban on fishing just because they find it "aesthetically undesirable" in some way, especially when it is listed as an acceptable activity in the Toronto waterfront brochures, and they paid for most of the new boardwalks.

They're going to have a hard time citing public saftey issues if I fish the Spadina platform at 7am on a Sunday and I'm the only person around.

Let's hope the motion is carried as a start in the right direction.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 02:26 PM by OldTimer.)
Exactly MikeH..........

I know from personal experience the pain of having treble hooks removed that were embedded deeply in the back of my skull by the wild cast of some clown on the Bronte pier. However - I would not bann fishing there if it were up to me.

Safety always comes first. But as you say - extents of casting hazards are quite variable by time and location.

- but right is right.......... I believe that it is important that all strive to maintain all freedoms (not just fishing) we have, as much and as long as possible (including keeping a fish now and then) - once rules are set they rarely revert.

As you - I too hope the motion carries and is widely publicized - it will send a very clear signal to many. It sure won't hurt!

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
04-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Motion did not pass referral waiver for a vote. It has been referred to executive committee.

04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Not a rejection........ appears some want more info/investigation/detail..............

See you on the river.
04-12-2012, 06:52 AM
This is the information sent along to me from a kind representative at TO city hall:

"the motion has been referred to a future meeting of the Executive Committee - likely May or possibly later. The agendas for the meetings are usually released about a week before the meetings themselves online here:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisionBody...-2012.EX19

When the report is considered by Executive Committee, members of the public can submit comments or request to speak (for up to 5 minutes) to the committee on the item. You can contact the clerk for the committee to register or submit comments at exc@toronto.ca or 416-392-6627."

See you on the river.
04-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Harbourfront centre have a board director on the council executive committee. (Thompson)

04-21-2012, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2012 08:11 AM by OldTimer.)
This motion may be discussed in the Executive Meeting on May 14, 2012.

Aggenda for this meeting has not yet been published.

I see that Thompson voted "NO" in the council meeting.

See below for how votes were cast by each councillor:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaIt...12.MM22.11

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MikeH (04-21-2012)
04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately, several of the executive committee members have already voted no on this issue.